1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Movie Scene Game

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Lantus, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newfie Banned

I said in my opinion, DarkStrider. I would hardly put Rodriguez or Woo in the same class as Scorsese or Orson Welles but that's my opinion. Although I will give you credit for Stone, Coppola, Scott and Tarantino. English director, huh? Was he pudgy and and had a distinctive voice?

[ October 30, 2005, 05:18: Message edited by: Newfie ]

2. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Yup, you could say he was 'pudgy'.

Off topic: I would add Kurosawa, Billy Wilder and John Ford to this impromptu great directors list...

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Strangers on a Train?

And totally O/T but no one's mentioning Howard?

4. Newfie Banned

Wow, have to way back for this one: Vertigo?

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

OK, we got the director right, now for the film. As I said it is an early film - one of the last he made in the UK before moving to the US?

:yot: Howard? As in Ron? :shake: Surely you jest?

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Is it Blackmail

:yot: Newfie you won't give me creadit for Cocteau ? Along with Kurosawa the greatest foreign-language director

7. Newfie Banned

Sorry, DarkStrider. Kurosawa: sure, he ranks there. In fact he is probably number three on my list after Orson and Scorsese. Cocteau: talented and a genius, yes. Influential: yes. One of the greatest directors ever: not in my books. But I am sure there are those who beg to differ. Oedipus Rex was worth mentioning though.

Hitchcock's early film? The Man who Knew too Much?

[ October 30, 2005, 22:08: Message edited by: Newfie ]

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Rebecca?

9. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Nope. Rebecca was his first American film, and man who knew too much was made a few years before the one i'm thinking of. As a hint, it was Hitch's intention to make a film that would have really young protagonists and in fact the name of the film reflects this. The plot is basic Hitchcock - a man accused of a crime he didn't commit.

The film itself is not among his greats - but the scene described is breathtaking - especially if you consider the fact that the film was made in the 30s.

10. Newfie Banned

Sounds like Young and Innocent.

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Correct Newfie - your turn.

13. Newfie Banned

A grown man steps on a merry-go-round and it spins backward until he changes into a young boy.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hmm.. Big?

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

No, it's not Big with Tom Hanks; he just got a wish from an old 'fortune telling' machine in a midway - both ways...

This 'back in age' thing sounds annoyingly familiar, but not *quite* clear enough for proper recollection. I know it's likely wrong, but 18 again?

16. Newfie Banned

No and No. Bit of a hint:the actor who plays the adversary in it was once a Bond villain.

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Is it the one with Bruce Willis? The name escapes me at the moment, but the -

The Kid?

18. Newfie Banned

No, it is from a book written by a very well known author with a fine imagination.

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Stand By Me?

20. Newfie Banned

Nope, also in it is a woman who was a star in the old blaxploitation movies in the seventies. Also starring the only actor to receive consecutive Best Supporting Actor Oscars.

[ November 01, 2005, 17:30: Message edited by: Newfie ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.