1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The New Catastrophe in Gaza

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Jul 3, 2006.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

All in all, I firmly believe that Israel has in the recent past behaved just as the Palestinians, or any other Arabs, have - terror for terror, assaults for assaults. If anything, their vastly superior army and budget allows them to be that much more effective. They have given as bad as they have got, and often they did it first. That itself I can accept, albeit with a lot of regret. It is the inherent hypocricy behind those statements that prompted me to start this thread. It's the same when they start raising all hell that Iran develops nukes, or that its neighbors have some army maneuvers somewhere.

Israel withdrew from the Gaza strip, but neither fully nor for long. I'd disagree the "nothing to do with it" bit. It always retained a lot of importance over how life went on there - through the checkpoints, for example, political pressure, and sometimes violence. There were shellings and attacks every week, some in retaliation, some not. And that, you can imagine, feeded the remains of the radicals who would have otherwise died off.

2. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Everyone forgets that Hamas came through the polls and they kept to their ceasefire for more than a year, dispite provocation from Israel.

In N.Ireland the 2 largest parties have links to terrorists - Sinn Fein and DUP. The reason why we are more successful is that we allow our people to persue their goals through politics rather than violence.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I wonder if Israel and Palestine will take as long as England and Ireland to make peace, or something like it. I'd wager for more, unfortunately.

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i know what america's response would be if this were happening to them, and i admire israel's restraint from that point of view, but its time to end this, palestine is a terrorist state, led by terrorists, bomb them so hard that their descendents will feel it for hundreds of years

5. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    I will never again wonder why the troubles in this region persist. It's attitudes like this that are the problem.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Unfortunately longer, from the way things are going.

Restraint???? You call what's been happening there for the past 80 years restraint? Where DO you get your news I wonder?

Well when you hear things like "bomb them so hard that their descendents will feel it for hundreds of years" or "Israel must be wiped off the map", it's no wonder things never work out.

7. Shoshino

Media:
    its worked in the past, the USA is a prime example, wiped out the locals and took control of the land

had this been happening to the US palestine wouldnt exist now, it would just be a mass of firebombed cities and uninhabitale wasteland - and israel posesses the power to make this happen, yet they havent, that is restraint.

8. Drew

Media:
    It's also one of our nation's greatest shames.

This example is also invalid because of the nature of Arab culture. To the rest of the Arab world, the Palestinians are their brothers and sisters not only in Islam, but in language, culture, and blood. Mess with Palestine and you mess with the whole family. If Israel started a genocidal war with Palestine, all of the Arab world would join together, swoop down, and wipe them out. The only thing stopping such a thing from happening now is diplomacy and the surety that the western world would intervene. (Ever since the inception of Israel, Arab newspapers and media have referred to Jerusalem as "Qods al-muhtella"; meaning "the occupied Jerusalem". The Arab world has never stopped seeing the Israelis as occupiers.) If Israel actually attempted to prosecute a genocidal war, however, no ammount of diplomacy and no threat from the western world would be able to stop them. The powder keg that is the middle east would explode regardless of the consequences.

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    One shouldn't confound religion, language and culture, it is a much more complicated issue. Arabs are not only Muslims, they can be Christians and Jews as well.

Considering the bombing/restraint argument, it is worth to bear in mind that the area that we're talking about is really tiny... Turning this place into a "wasteland" would cut both ways.

The future seems rather bleak and this impression is only reinforced by comments such as these "if you can't deal with a people in a civilized fashion you are reduced to wiping them out"...

That's a rationalisation of extermination plain and simple...

How much more suffering is needed before some people can eventually come to realize that violence and warfare only bring hatred and a wish for retribution?

10. Drew

Media:
    Non-muslims make up well under 10% of arab culture and Islam permeates nearly every aspect of it as well. I have known many Christian Arabs and have yet to meet one who will drink or eat pork....for cultural (not religious) reasons. If you do not understand Islam, you will not be able to understand the Arab world.

11. Caradhras

Media:
    It varies from one country to the other, I'm not discussing the point that Muslims are a majority, I'm stressing the fact that a commonly shared and widespread assumption saying that every Arabs are Muslims is inaccurate.
    (It would be off topic to discuss this at large but I can assure you that I have met Christian Arabs who didn't respect such proscriptions).

12. Drew

Media:
    I can't disagree with that.....being that I was trained as an Arabic linguist by the Navy. On the other hand, Muslims are the ones in power in every single Arab nation. When looking at how a government is going to respond to something, the opinions of a (less than) 10% minority really aren't going to factor in.

13. Shoshino

Media:
    really? id put my money on israel, after all, they have nuclear arms, highly trained disciplined soldiers, massed armoured cavalry and a powerful airforce made up of US fighter planes

i know where im putting my money

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Shoshino, the Arab world has the numbers, and plenty of nukes from Iran, to make up for it.

One nuke on Jerusalem, one on Tel Aviv, and Israel is gonna be in a world of trouble. Add a couple of hundred tanks rolling in from every direction except the west, and you have one confined Israel.

Off course, Israel have USA, and the Arab world would never unite that way, but if those two weren't included, I think we would have a massive asskicking in the process.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well said. We can only hope that one day the Palestinians will realize this and leave Israel alone. Until then as also previously mentioned we can only hope that Israel continues to use restraint and doesn't adopt a policy of genocide.

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Iran has no nuclear weapons, claims they are pursuing peaceful nuclear technology only and are also a member of the NPT. Do you have some information that the UN should know about Iran? ;)

17. Caradhras

Media:
    @The Great Snook: to be quite clear, I quoted your post because I was appalled by what you wrote... One should never speak so lightly about genocide.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The Resistance were terrorists for the German forces occupying France during WWII (by the way don't misunderstand this remark: I'm not trying to compare Israelis with Germans).
    After the war some enlightened leaders -French AND Germans- were able to look beyond rancour and hatred and managed to create the budding EU, turning the old enemies into partners to end the cycle of war.

What is needed is not a 'vae victis' mentality but the will to give peace a chance. The Oslo Accords were a momentous step in this direction:
    If you want peace, prepare for peace not war.

18. Drew

Media:
    Sorry, but this just isn't possible. When Israel bombs Palestine, they act as a nation. When a Palestinian commits a suicide attack, he acts as an individual. You are suggesting that we hold the whole of Palestine accountable for the actions of individual Palestinians who are acting independently. That's like killing a man's family because the man commited a murder. It just doesn't make any sense.

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Sorry, Drew, but you are also incorrect. Palestinian terrorists act individually when they blow themselves up, but they get the explosives, the directions, the intelligence on how and where to go, etc., from, among others, Hamas, their government.

The moral of this story is nothing is simple and there really is no easy fix.

(p.s. The united might of the arab nations tried on several occasions to destroy Israel -- it got them nothing except Israel adding more land to its nation, including some of what it just gave back. Now, it would be even more ridiculous how badly Israel would trounce its neighbors. And, BTW, I can't remember who said that Israel needed the US for all of its arms, but Israel is at the forefront of much in the way of sophisticated research, including weapons research. It is hardly a parasite needing the US to survive.)

20. Drew

Media:
    During many of the peace talks and agreements during the Clinton years, Arafat insisted that the actions that often went again peace agreements he signed were not approved by him and were, in fact, beyond his control. Terrorists work in cells. They don't have strong, centralized leadership. The control that Hamas can exert over individual terror cells is actually quite minimal.

Regarding the United Arab world facing Israel.....I would hardly call the incident to which you are referring the United Arab world. It was more aptly explained as an attack by a few of Israel's neighbors. Most of the Arab world actually stayed out of that conflict. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.