1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The New Catastrophe in Gaza

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by The Shaman, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Martaug:
    That's just plain nonsense.

National identity and nationalim do exist in different Arab countries (Lebanon and Syria are not the same, as Kuwait and Iraq are not the same).

You are just repeating the colonial discourse that justified the creation of the state of Israel in the first place i.e. Palestinians are Arabs and there's no reason that they shouldn't blend in with other Arabs. History taught us how wrong that assumption was.

That's the same reasoning that led to the nonsensical partition of Africa by colonial powers without any regard for cultural and ethnical diversity.

You referred to Jordan, it's worth to mention that currently the majority of the population of Jordan is in fact of Palestinian origin (like the current queen of Jordan). That doesn't mean that the two communities look eye to eye (Black September comes to mind).

The Arab world is a mosaic, it is not a unified entity.

If I say that Canadians and Americans are the same I guess you will disagree, if I say Texans, Californians, Virginians and the inhabitants of Vermont are the same I'm not sure you will agree and yet that statement is far more accurate than what you said in your post.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    That depends on who you ask. Ask an Iraqi how old his nation is and the answer you usually get is over 5,000 years, not less than a century. In the minds of most Iraqis, Kuwait should rightfully belong to Iraq, since it was part of what we now call Iraq long before the land was ever colonized. Kuwaitis, however, tend to disagree.

Kuwait wouldn't even exist as its own nation right now were it not for the fact that England wanted to keep a shipping port when granting Iraq its independance. The only reason Kuwait is a seperate country is that it gained its independence later than Iraq did.

Nevertheless, I don't think that my little semantics adventure really detracts from your point. I agree with it, generally speaking.

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Whether or not Palestinians had a national identity before the creation of Israel or not seems to me a moot point; they certainly have one now.

At the same time, whether or not Israel has a right to have a country in the region, and whether or not "the Zionists" have a legitimate national identity as Israelis is also a moot point; again, they have a legitimate claim now.

However, I think recent events have very little to do with the whole "Zionist-as-colonialists" narrative. I'm not talking about the general situation, but the kidnappings and the responses to the kidnappings. In this case, I think it's simply about nation-states, Iran and Syria, using Hamas and Hizbollah in a proxy war against Israel, as a way of reshuffling the regional balance. Part of the strategy involves setting off a crisis and standing back as the rest of the world condemns Israel as violent colonialists unconcerned with spilling Arab blood.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

If I understands correct You pressume Israelis and zionists are the same, wich is the same as saying every German under 2nd WW was a nazi.
    Still I must agree to you point about proxy war. Could Israel then be the weapon of the US?

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

that's why I put "scare quotes" around Zionists, a term often used to connote colonialism, the illegitimacy of the Israeli national identity, and as you point out assertions of moral equivalence to Nazis.

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Then Arabs must have a time machine because PLO was founded in 1964 and its statement of proclamation begins with "Believing in the right of the Palestinian Arab people to its sacred homeland Palestine".

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Honestly - I'm starting to really not care if Israel gets 'wiped off the map'. This situation is bull****, and Israel is to blame for the most part.

I'm not entirely sure who started it - I doubt it matters. Two captured soldiers *is not* a valid reason for destroying a country and killing hundreds of civilians. This is just an excuse to blow the **** out of the neighbours - it's not going to fix anything, all it will do is make more 'terrorists' (though I'm not sure how 'terrorist' Hezbollah actually are - what are their tactics when they're not firing rockets?)

So for now I'm cautiously applauding Hezbollah - if only because Israel are being so much worse. If they can do some damage to the Israeli military or government - I'd be quite happy.

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Aikanaro

I applaud your honesty. While I happen to be on the opposite side of the fence (as Cuchulainn loves to point out), I respect your bravery in posting such a comment. Be prepared for a fury of condemnation as genocide supposedly is not a solution.

EDIT

I like what the German Chancellor had to say.

It is almost like she read my post on page one of this thread on how to stop the violence.

[ July 17, 2006, 16:21: Message edited by: The Great Snook ]

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not as simple as you put it. It's not just two captured soldiers. It was two soldiers kidnapped and several killed during an invasion of Israeli territory by a political group with the support of Syria and Iran (and tacitly by Lebanon) that has been massing warriors and weapons near Israel's border with Lebanon (after Israel left and no longer occupied it) and has been firing rockets into Israeli territory for quite some time.

IMO, Israel is doing what is necessary to protect itself from those who intend them harm: break Hezbollah in Lebanon and to a lesser extent Hamas in Gaza. Both Hamas and Hezbollah instigated the current fighting by invading; it wasn't enough to fire a few rockets now and again into Israel.

And this after Israel withdrew from Lebanon and Gaza; so while the constant fighting may not work out so well, apparently appeasement doesn't work either.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Both sides are completely insane, they deserve eachother.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Snook (or anyone else): I hope you don't actually get the impression that I'm advocating genocide (that would be a rather messy and unpleasant end to the whole problem) of the Jews. I don't - I'm all for civilians not dying. I just couldn't care less if the state of Israel ceased to exist. (Saying that all Israeli civilians should be killed because the Israeli military killed hundreds of civilians would be a bit silly, to say the least :p )

True, it's not as simple as I put it - but it's not as simple as you put it either. The raid was to capture soldiers in order to secure the release of their own prisoners. Now sure - these prisoners may, for all I know, have been captured in some other thingy instigated by Hezbollah, which was probably caused by some action by Israel, which was probably caused by some action by Hezbollah - and so on and so forth - as I said, I don't think it matters who started it - just that the reaction to it was crap.

Israel has lived up to their promise to send Lebanon back 20 years (or more) - they've destroyed the economy and infrastructure - that's going to take a very long time to rebuild. The Lebanese have been screwed over, basically.

Now, I'd be all for Hezbollah going away quietly and not being such Islamist dicks - but destroying a country was not the way to go about it. I don't know what is - but that is one thing that I can certainly say it wasn't. The lives of millions should not be ruined because of these kinds of (rather minor in comparision) attacks on Israel - *especially not the lives of civilians*.

I don't see a Lebanese life as any more important than an Israeli life - I see a soldier's life as of less worth than a civilian's life - they've consented to (the possibility of) being killed by joining the military in the first place. Killing hundreds of civilians because 8 soldiers died and two were captured is thus - as far as I can see - bull****.

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am pretty much along the same lines as Aik.

"Eye for an eye makes the whole world go blind" sums the whole damn mess up.

13. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Bah, what you people do not seem to understand is that this is war. Sure, Hezbollah (and Hamas) do not have tanks or jets or whatever, but they make do with what they have, and it is war nonetheless. So, from this point of view, asking that the Israeli give the same weight to the life of a palestinian as to the life on one of their own shows a great degree of naivete.

And don't tell me that the Lebanon government is not at fault for what Hezbollah does. Are there groups in the government which do not approve of Hezbollah? sure. However, they could have made at least a try to disarm them. They pretty much choose to look the other way, and now they are surprised that the situation has blown up. It is equivalent to having a rabid dog in your house, but not taking any measures to protect the neighbours.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Really? I guess the British should have bombed hospitals and schools in the Republic of Ireland when the IRA attacked London :rolleyes:

15. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Did the IRA shell London? Did the leadership of Ireland vow the destruction of the English nation?

16. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Does the method of attack really matter that much? Do political party links to terrorists count?

17. edorien Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Khaavern:
    You're contradicting yourself.

** Sure, Hezbollah (and Hamas) do not have tanks or jets or whatever, but they make do with what they have, and it is war nonetheless.**
    and
    **Did the IRA shell London?**

Did the leadership of Lebanon vow the destruction of the Israel nation?
    Answer : No

18. khaavern Gems: 14/31

heh. I guess you have a point there, and I did not make my case as clear as I could.

What seems to me to make this a war is the fact that if Hamas and Hezbellah have their way, Israel would cease to exist. This is different from the IRA, which only wanted self determination for Ireland. Also, this would make it different from the USA vs. terrorism fight, since the terrorists do not really have the means to destroy USA.

And also note that in the Hezbollah vs Israel case, it is not only a matter of rethoric. It could be argued that the terrorist groups in the Mid. East, working in conjunction with Syria and Iran, could potentially achieve their aim of destroying Israel.

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not entirely true since members of Hezbollah have seats on the Lebanese parliament.

20. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    If it's a war, it's pretty damn one sided. Israel has killed 10 Palestinians in response to every Israeli killed in a terror attack since its inception. Lets not forget that Israel has employed tactics like killing the families of suicide bombers in the past. Their counter attacks have often been just as indiscriminate as the attacks launched by Palestinian terrorists; aiming not for a strategic gain, but instead attempting to use fear to make terror attacks stop by showing Palestinians that if they make a suicide attack, Israel will in response kill their wife, children, brothers, cousins, etc. Thanks to the UN, Israel is no longer allowed to do this, but the Palestinians still remember and these actions play a very large part in the prevailing opinion Palestinians have of Israel. It is this (not entirely unwarranted) opinion that the Palestinians have of Israel that is the real enemy in this cycle of violence.

Historically, there have only been two successful methods to defeat terrorism. Since genocide isn't an option, the only option left is eliminating the root cause. The existance of Israel is not the root cause in this instance. If the Palestinians in Israel were treated as equals and if the Palestinians in Palestine (and the Palestinian refugees all over the world) felt that they were heard, and that Israel would be willing to work with them as an ally, the attacks would stop. This will take a long time, but I think 30+ years of trying the military solution to the Palestinian conundrum should be sufficient evidence to show that a military "solution" simply will not work. Ever.

The only attempts at Diplomacy have been short lived. Terror attacks will simply not stop immediately because there exist (on both sides) a great many people who do not desire peace under any circumstance. We can not allow such people to destroy the diplomatic process before it even starts as we have done so many times in the past. When looking at diplomatic solutions, it is imperative that we understand that terror attacks will not stop until Palestine has the infrastructure and stability necessary to stop terrorist attacks. Not only that, but Israel and Palestine will need to work together to stop such attacks, as well.

But not enough seats to actually dictate national policy. Not by a long shot. At most, their less than 25% minority can be used to conclude that some (no more than 25%) of the Lebanese people support them and their tactics.

[ July 19, 2006, 01:51: Message edited by: Drew ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.