1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official 'Doh, nothing has been posted' Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slappy, Jun 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Finally I can play "El Mariachi" at a reasonable level. All this time spend on practicing while refreshing SP is not wasted afterall.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My teacher eduacation is nearing the moment where i will try my knowledge in the field. A bunch of spoiled, stupid and ignorant youths who i will try to enlighten. The only problem is that the youths are just about 2-3 years younger than me. Not a very big difference. Oh and another point in Sweden you are not allowed to hit your pupils! Damn!
    But do anyone of you people here have any expierence of tutoring and do yu have any tips?

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I jsut bought Tlanescape Porment. 50 danish kr. in a shop. Less than 7 Dullars. Yes American Dullars. Dullars everywhere. Me mexican accent. Dullars.

I am so happy that I am fully relieved of the BG-series.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 31, 2001).]

4. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

joacqin
    I don't know about teaching kids I've only had to teach adults (the youngest being 22) but I suppose some of the tips still apply. the main one for me was making sure I was fully prepared for a lesson. I knew what I was going to cover and what the main points were, how the session would run etc. Of course eventually you get used to it but to start with its nice to know you are prepared.

The other things I found was that I got very nervous beforehand, especially wondering if I really knew enough to teach whatever. You soon realise that the only reason you know you don't know everything is because you already know so much (that makes sense trust me). You will also know much more than the people you are teaching. If you do happen to have a smart arse in the group you can always ask them to tell everyone else what they know. If they don't know they'll shut up and look foolish. If they do know, then great everyone benefits :)

Finally, try to make your lesson interestig and enjoyable for the students and yourself. I believe my best measure of how well a session went was how much I enjoyed it. Also try to break up the sessions to use different approaches. there is a very old quote (from somewhere) along the lines of 'tell me and I will know, show me and I will remember, let me try and I will understand.' Of course, in an ideal world we would let everyone use the 'try' approach to get the deepest understanding. In the real world we are constrained by time, money, the number of students, and the quantity of material to be covered. However, it always helps to ask yourself how else you can teach people whatever it is they need to know. Mixing up all three approaches tends to make it more interesting.

Anyway, that's Slappy's food or thought for today overwith. Good luck and make sure you enjoy yourself :)

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thanks for the advice. It seems like the swedish systems rely heavily on knowledge and practice to make us good teachers we dont have much how do you say it in english pedagogik?? So this is my second year and they are already throwing me out in the hot air. I have more than 3 years left until im a full teacher. Im going to teach pupils of the age 16 to 19 so i wouldnt call them kids but they arent adults either.
    And slappy are you a proffesor (sp?) on a college or something? And what did you teach?

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Heh your the second person to call me a Professor today. Unfortunatley I can't claim that distinction. At University I used to teach Masters degree courses in Engineering and Business Management. Some of the students were full time students (the younger ones straight from a first degree) other were managers and directors attending part time courses. I taught based on my own experience in industry and also based on the research I was doing for the University. My subjects were mainly business strategy, change management, organisational design and future approaches to organisation. I also used to mentor Masters students through their research projects to contribute to my own research into business organisation.

I'm still hoping that the university will finally award me a Doctorate for the research I did. Everyone at the Uni seemed to think it would be a formaility but the external examiners thought differently. I'm still waitng to hear what they decide following the additional research I did for them Unfortunately speed is not a trait associated with academics :(

7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

joacqin, I think you are looking for the English word "pedagogy"- most European languages take it from ancient Greek so it's similar in each.

I've never taught in a classroom but I do some technical-writing mentoring, among other things. The biggest thing that I have learned is that no one learning method works for everyone. Some people need to read instructions a few times before they can try it for themselves (me for one!). Others are most receptive to getting their hands in right away and learning by trial and error. Yet other people like to listen and are able to absorb a lot of information verbally.

As well, some people benefit from use of metaphors. Others want "just facts" and lots of examples, and are distracted by analogy.

When you teach a group of people it is great to combine multiple methods (much as Slappy noted above), but when an individual student is having trouble, identifying his or her learning style can be very helpful- that way you can decide if he/she would benefit most from new books, a diagram drawn, a verbal explanation, an analogy, or more examples to try out.

An example: My COBOL professor gave detailed, lengthy lectures and then expected us to dive right in and program. Lots of the students loved this and even just the lecture was enough for them to start programming with confidence. Others started out very badly then learned from their mistakes and improved dramatically. But for me, as a visual learner, it was a disaster. I read the textbook cover to cover several times before starting, and finally understood what those lectures were about. At the end of the term we were all about equal in ability, but we'd gotten there by very different paths.

I never forget this when I am working with someone who's having trouble with a concept that seems simple to me- I assess what communication method would be most effective for that individual and try a different approach.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I didn't like Planscape Torment. Too special for me. Not bad but special. I'll go buy Icewind Dale instead.

9. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I rushed through PST, still dont get the ending.......

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Nobleman, not that I'm questioning your taste, but your imagination is not good.
    Try to identify yourself with someone who lost his memories - only then you'll be able to see PT in it's full glow.

And one thing more - PT is for stories lovers. IWD is for Diablo lovers.
    OK?

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

I am just in a bad mood lately Extremist. 3 bad grades at university. I didn't need a game where I play another lost and torn soul. My problem is that I related too much.

Over and out.

12. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

tomorrow back to sk00l, *sniff*

well, back to the ladys! :D

13. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Me to, for the first time in three years... :(

14. joacqin

Media:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Ill try to take your advice to heart.
    And to all the schoolstarters out there be nice to your teachers or else they may pull out a machine gun and go berzerk :p

15. Turambar Gems: 13/31

Started school today and I think I may really like this school stuff..... WOOOOHOOOO!!! :D :) :D

16. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

my adsl modem melted :(

17. Big B Gems: 27/31

Out of the frying pan into the fire...

How does one melt a modem?

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

melted, I don't know, though I got my modem fried a month back, bloody thunderbolt :D

19. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

uhm, just let it overload, but i revived it! :D

20. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't know. I managed to do that 6 months before and could no longer go online. I *did* it, but I don't know *how* I did it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.