1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Cool - 17 points for me from Rosicky today!

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The original outfit was an orange shirt and white shorts, but there was some sort of sponsor confict between Nike and Adidas, and this is the result of it. At least that's what i heard about it. To me it also came as a total surprise, we always have either white or black shorts, and i don't like this option very much, but when sponsors start bitching, strange things can happen.

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i miss world cup 02. this world cup is not fun, not surprising.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That Australia v Japan game was fun.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Are you joking? It's been a great world cup so far! Some terrific football being played and the 'smaller' teams giving up a right fight. Much better than Japorea '02. We've had 25+ goals in 10 games already.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    The Ghana - Italy match was supposed to be a good, especially with Ghana's upstart attitude.
    It was Italy's Maffioso show that destroyed all the fun in the game, some tackles definitaly deserved a red card, but the referee did not see that... *of course* :rolleyes: Either he was blind, or he was paid.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

02 started with a shocker. neutral audience like shocker. In 02, you don't get much of those "score one early, sub out star early" attitude. Even when England was defending their 1-0 lead aganist Argentina, they were defending with urgency, not slackyness.

However, this England vs Praguay match was much boring, score one, everyone do walk around till the end.

edit.
    portugal match was like that. Argentina match was like that. between a walk around 1-0 match and a hard fought 0-0 match, i prefer later.

[ June 13, 2006, 02:12: Message edited by: teekc ]

9. Harbourboy

Oh yeah, England v Paraguay was a bit dull, but some of the other games have been good. I enjoyed Poland v Ecuador and Australia v Japan.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    True, but the same can be said about Ghana. Some of there tackles and pushes were unacceptable as well.
    Ref was a bit inconsistant in giving his cards. He gave yellows for minor faults, but did nothing when he should have pulled the red ones.
    Can't remember all the cards, but I guess most of them were by the book. Fifa is getting stricter, and thus the refs are too.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I still can't believe that Hiddink did it again! If he make it to the second round with Australia which has become a real option he (IMO) is the best coach out there at the moment.

12. Harbourboy

If Australia can pull off a draw with Croatia then it's all on.

13. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'll say. I was at a gig and only caught the last 20 minutes of the game. My housemate and I watched the end of it and went from frustrated to high-fiving and going for celebratory beers in a ten-minute period.

Awesome stuff, that. Like something out of a fairytale. I'm not deluding myself about our chances against Brazil, but if we can get a draw against Croatia and not get utterly destroyed by Brazil, we're in with a red-hot chance of making the second round. Beat Croatia, and it's in the bag.

...and three cheers for Trinidad and Tobago, while we're at it!

14. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Or he was just defending the interests of Brazil. IIRC the groups of Italy and Brazil meet each other in the next round and I don't think that Brazil wants to face Italy so early in the tournament.

15. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yeah, this cup has the best football in a World Cup since the 1986 cup. Heart, spirit, tactics, and more offensive techniques. I mean, even Italy didn't back down after their first goal.

16. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Everyone who says that the Catenaccio is dead is lying.

Typical italian behaviour: First you bore your opponent (and every onlooker) into unconciousness, then make your goal, then bore your opponent (and every onlooker again) to death.

I hate it.

Some commentators spoke of the brilliant italian offense. It must have been elsewhere yesterday.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Fabius, the difference is, yesterday the Italians DIDN'T play boring, for most of the game. Sure, the time between minute 55 to about 75 was pretty boring, but which team HAS been playing full-offence for 90 minutes straight? It was the third most entertaining game so far, with only the Germany - Costa Rica and Australia - Japan games before it.

18. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

I think Italy is by far the best team so far. Their defense is great, and Luca Toni is just a little God on Earth.
    Still I weep for Sweden.

19. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

Rutkowski, I saw a very boring match, with Ghana going into offense the whole time, while the italians defended. The few shoots on Ghanas goal were just not enough to make it an interesting match.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Italy are not the best team so far, not by a long shot. The Czechs, Argentines, Ivorians and probably the Dutch all played better I reckon. The Italians weren't their usual solid self and Ghana can think themselves unlucky not to have scored at least one. Of course, the Italians were definitely the better team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.