1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Another win for South Korea, and this time without the dodgy refs from 2002. Brazil v Croatia should be an interesting match and will be a big factor in Australia's slim chances of making it through.

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I missed the France-Switzerland game because i had to work late, was it really as bad as people say it was ?

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The stats, and me, disagree.

Italy (ITA) Statistics Ghana (GHA)
    18 Shots 14
    13 Shots on Goal 4
    8 Fouls 22
    12 Corner Kicks 4
    2 Free Kicks (shots on goal) 0
    0 Penalty Kicks 0
    3 Offsides 3
    0 Own Goals 0
    3 Cautions 2
    0 Expulsions 0
    47% Ball Possession 53%
    25 Actual Playing Time 28

Sure, they had only a few more shots and a lower ball possession, but check the shots on goal, the fouls, the corners... All point in Italy's favor.

And Barmy, I disagree with the Dane, but Italy have only been surpassed by Germany and Argentina so far. England, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, they all played really poor. The Ivory Coast played decent, but that game should really have ended 4-1 to the Argentinians, they far surpassed the Africans.

Now, I must say, France played like crap. The Swiss deserved to win that one, it's unfortunate that they didn't.

And finally, time to cheer for Croatia! Come on Australian group winner and Japanese/Croatian runner-up! =D

EDIT:
    France played like the US, the Swiss like a bad Sweden. Read that as you want.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Time to cheer for Brazil. If they can destroy Croatia then Australia has a window of opportunity to sneak through.

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I must say that many goals are scored with distance shots. Nice goal, Kaka. But what did they do with the ball. Often goals are like sheep. It takes a long time before the first one crosses, but....

6. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

At minute 70, Croatia missed some clear chances, they have to tie the game, so far, not much from the "canarinha".

7. Harbourboy

Come on Brazil. Get some more goals!

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Only one sheep. Not a flock but still 3 points. If this was italy we would be negative. Spain next I believe.

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I was far from impressed with Brazil. Croatia might've won that if it wasn't for crap finishing. They certainly had the opportunities. Brazil a bit ropey at the back, as usual!

10. Harbourboy

Bah, stupid useless Brazil. If their players had full names they might be better.

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Well, i hope they completely choke. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but i for one am fed up with Samba an celebrating people in yellow shirts. Time for a new champion.

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Agreed Pac Man.

Now, Italy for victory, right? :p

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Well, if Holland can't have it, i'd have peace with Italy as worldchampions, they are a good team. But so are the English and the Czechs, i'd even have peace with Germany as worldchampions, anything's better than Brazil.

14. Harbourboy

Except for the fact that all my sweepstakes and fantasy teams and other betting are predicated on a Brazil victory over Germany in the final.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Btw...that idiot that entered the pitch....does anyone know what he wanted ? Was he trying to deliver some kind of political message like the Turks do all the time ? Or was it just some lunatic with nothing better to do ?

16. Harbourboy

How come Greece aren't at the World Cup? Did they suddenly get useless after that Euro win (like the England rugby team did straight after winning the World Cup)?

17. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Greece is back to the stage where you can usually find them, it's called rock bottom.

18. Harbourboy

Was the Euro win a complete fluke then? Where are Belgium and Hungary as well?

19. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Pretty hilarious to see Ronaldo subbed out after walking around on the field all day...

Come to think of it, Zidane seemed pretty past expiration date as well...

My guess is the streaker was overcome by feelings of 'national pride' (given the blurry lines between paramilitaries and football hooligans in the region's recent past, that's a relatively scary thing). And I'm sure german sicherheit was happy with itself for letting someone into the stadium with a military-grade flare...

20. Harbourboy

Typical that I have Ronaldo and Zidane in my fantasy teams. I should know by now that the trumped up superstars never do any good. My best player is that Rosicky guy who I have never heard of before.

What scores do you pick for the next five games:
    SPA v UKR
    Ger v Pol
    Tun v KSA
    Eng v TNT
    Ecu v CRC

[ June 14, 2006, 02:40: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.