1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Trinidad and Tobago did attack in the first half. Some of the comments here have been unfair on that point. They played a good game.
    I don't think they came close to winning but they had some very qualifed chances to score in the first half.

The shot statistics were 23-7 and I certainly do not agree with the lax statement "We had about 20 opportunities to score, they had about 2."

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We had even more than my exaggeration! Hah!
    TNT did not attack much at all. They commited maybe 3 men forward when they went up. It was comical to watch at times.

They played a good game from the players they have, but still, 5-0 might have been a fairer reflection.

But hey, 2 games, 2 wins, not out of 2nd gear yet. It's all going to plan. If Sweden don't win here then we've finished top of the group after 2 games. After that, we'll have Rooney fit and we can start to up our game. It's all good.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

All I am saying is that I thought their tactics were the right ones to adopt given the situation. And at 83 minutes into the game, it looked like they done a bloody good job.

It doesn't make any difference whatsoever how many shots you had on goal. You missed them. Just means you were good at one aspect of the game (delivering balls into the penalty area). If you hadn't scored in that last 7 minutes, 23 shots at goal would have been worth zip.

Yay, a goal for Sweden at last!

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    It'll be interesting now to see in Ecuador draw with Germany. because they'll finish top if they do. The Sweden England match might have something hanging on it after all!

I want to beat those damn buggers. Just because they've got the sexiest fans, we give them an easy ride. No more. We mean business this year and will put that curse to rest!

5. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Finally a goal! What a relief! :banana:

@Barmy Army
    Maybe we didn't watch the same England vs Trinidad game? Trinidad attacked with five players many times in the first half. Second half was another matter. England certainly deserved the win, I'll give you that...
    :deadhorse:

6. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

One moment, I was thinking of the layout of my next post on these boards, concerning the absolute suckyness of the Swedish team. The next moment, I was screaming with joy! Ljungberg scores and Sweden takes three points!

Since Sweden seems to do well when I think they suck, I have to say that the Swedish team really does suck. They can't score for scheit.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Someone find Barmy a Swedish girl to help him celebrate!

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I wasn't worried, not in a second.

*cough*

9. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Damn, now T&T has to own Paraguay massively if they want to get to the next round. Come on Don Leo!

10. Harbourboy

A Dwight Yorke hat-trick will sort that out for you.

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i just came back from school to watch my recordings, so.......
    where is the damn robo?
    what kind of english clown wears chain mail to football game?

12. Harbourboy

He didn't do the robot dance because he knew you can only do fancy dances when you're any good.... and he was about as much use as C3PO for most of the game. How was that open goal he missed? Even Barmy could have fumbled that one in.

13. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

there is a chinese forum i am in, it gives out "points" for involvement etc to members. These points can be used to buy access to certain topics in the forum, for example. In this season of world cup season, the forum has a special function for members to bet using the points.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What a relief, now we whip England B on Tuesday and we are home. England manages to look pretty much just as crappy as Sweden.

15. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Look as crappy? i really wouldn't be comparing a draw and marginal win vs. 2 decisive victories :p

Anyway most teams look 'shaky' in the opening games because theyre saving their players for the knockout stages, only the 'lesser' teams need to go all out this early.

Even if England rest up their better players for the Sweden game i still see a 1-0 victory, and if theres any justice TnT will trounce Paraguay, then its early flight home for the Swedish team.

/me moons joacqin :D

16. Earl Grey

:shake: @Pseudospawn

Sweden and England have the same problem: dominating the games but finding it almost impossible to score.

:book:
    Sweden - Shots on Goal: 16, Shots: 35
    England - Shots on Goal: 13, Shots: 36

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Errm, against Paraguay, they were close to putting an equalizer, and against TNT, England had a marginal win. TNT was very close at achieving their objective.

18. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Sweden and England have had trouble putting there chances away but i think thats due to the defensive nature of the TNT and Paraguay play, in the knockout stages things will be much more open as teams like France (if they qualify :p ), Germany, Spain and Brazil will push foward and try to win games instead of sitting in their own half and waiting for a draw or to nick a win from set pieces. I havent seen much of Equador but 2-0 and 3-0 victories make them sound quite impressive even though Poland and Costa Rica arent really tough opposition, i dont think theyll be a pushover if England play them in the 2nd round but rather them than Germany even though their defence is about as mobile as Jamaicas. :p

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Very kind of you, Harbs!
    Either one of these will do fine http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/pgStory?contentId=5676192&pageNumber=2 or both at the same time if you can manage it. I know I can.

2-0 Argentina here after half an hour. The daygo's are going to take some stopping in this WC I'll tell you that.

[ June 16, 2006, 15:36: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Argentina looks stronger than ever, almost scary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.