1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Guys, four years ago, after the England-Argentina game, someone photoshopped an image of Argentinian players lining up to block a freekick, he gave all the players a handbag. Does anyone recall what picture i'm talking about here, and if yes, does anyone still have it, or know where i could get it from ?

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Whoa, i never knew the England vs. Argentina rivalry went way beyond the Falklands like that. The "hand of god" issue must have hurt the English right where it hurts.

Btw...would i step on too many toes if i said that "the hand of god" is just too much credit for a cheater ? Wouldn't "the hand of the addict" be more appropriate ? Someone correct me if i'm out of line here.

4. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The abbreviation "S&M" has been taken for another thingy. Serbia and Montenegro should be abbreviate as SMT or SCG, just avoid S&M.

5. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

:p

It's (or was) my country, so I'll call it anything I please. Besides sadomasochism (in a non-sexual context) nicely describes what it feels like to watch them play.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Feel for you Vukodlak and S&M is a way better team than both T&T and Paraguay but this just shows how good Argentina is and what can happen if you give up and just want the torture to end.

Pseudospawn, you need to check your eyes, England won against Paraguay with an own goal and it generally looked quite shaky and against TT it could just as easily have ended 0-0. I have seen all the games in the group now and despite me being a negative pessimistic bastard I have to say that the best football was played by Sweden against Para. England does not look like a contender and I think tradition and attitude will make it extremely hard for England to beat Sweden (especially since they dont have to).

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We don't need to play well yet. We just need to get results :thumb: .

Whether or not we try our best to beat Sweden will depend a lot on the Ecuador v Germany match. I don't think tradition and attitude will come into it. If we need to win to finish top and avoid Germany, I think we will do. A team can only be a bogey team for so long before the curse is broken.

Although to be honest, Ecuador look a more dangerous side right now!

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think England should play to win regardless of who finishes top in group A, because if England win their group and Argentina win theirs they will be placed in seperate halfs of the draw and will not meet till late in the tournament, semi final or final i think. So basically if England lose their group so that they play Ecuador in the second round they may well end up playing Argentina the round after (even though we recently beat them in a friendly), and i would much rather us play Germany than Argentina. However if England, Germany and Argentina all win their groups we will avoid Germany in the next round aswell as Argentina till as late as the final so the last group games could be very important.

9. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

That's right, no hard feelings for me either. Is jusrt that there are lots of people still who remember the stupid war and take that to whenever Argentina and England play a match, and some go even way back in time, when Rattin got his red card because (I don't remember the player's name) an English player kicked him all the game and he didn't got even a free kick.

Here in Spain people started to 'feel', after the 4 to 0 game, that they surely are in the path to the championship... :lol: After Argentina's 6-0, they are already afraid of us, praying for some other team to beat us :lol:

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, Rattin got his red card for swearing at the ref repeatedly ;) .

But as I say, the England v Australia rivalry is extremely fierce, but not really nasty. I don't remember any serious crowd trouble at an England Argentina game. It's just a slightly more... edgy version of the England v Australia cricket rivalry :p .

11. teekc Gems: 23/31

so...... which team beat u.s. the other day?

[edit,
    due to the reply i've gotten,
    i need to state that this is not a real question.]

[ June 18, 2006, 00:21: Message edited by: teekc ]

12. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

So Ghana beat the Chech Republic 2-nil - whoa that's .. great

13. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The Czech republic, who were just beat 2-0 by Ghana though. U.S.A are playing Italy now and have started surprisingly well, they look much improved there may be an upset on the cards methinks :p

EDIT:

2 seconds after i posted this Gilardino scored for Italy im such a crap predictor :confused:

EDIT NO.2:

WOO! America just scored, own goal by Zicardo (spelling?) and de rossi has just been sent off for an obvious elbow on McBride... did i say an upset was on the cards? :p im such a good predictor :rolling:

[ June 17, 2006, 21:32: Message edited by: Duffin ]

14. teekc Gems: 23/31

game tied, rossi sent off, my american suitmate shouting.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Go go USA! Very cool game and if there is a game to catch the interest of the yanks this one is it. Blood, goals, sending offs and fierce attitude.

16. Sydax Gems: 19/31

@teek: Czech Republic won 3 to 0 to USA.

Go USA!! They have to win, thy deserve to win; Italy did nothing when they were 10 on 10, now that they are 10 on 9 they are doing some plays...

17. joacqin

Media:
    Feel sorry for the ref, he had to take a truck load of difficult decisions but I generally thought he did it very well. Pope's sending off and the disallowed goal might seem harsh but then Italy might very well have gotten a penalty kick and several free kicks around the box so all in all an impressive and fair job of the ref.

18. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

What you mean is SM. One word. S&M implies two words.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

20. Sydax Gems: 19/31

@Pac Man: Those aren't Spanish, those are Argentinian, from TE.LE.FE.; that commentator always sings something, just like in the video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.