1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, we got a shot at this. Due to the 3-0 stomping we took from the Czech Republic though, we'll lose any and all tie-breakers. So the only way I can see U.S. advancing is if we beat Ghana and Italy beats Czech Republic. Then it should work out like this:

Italy: 2-0-1
    USA: 1-1-1
    Czech Republic: 1-2-0
    Ghana 1-2-0

That's still a long shot. Ghana is no pushover if they can beat the Czech Republic. And there's no guarantee that Italy will win either. Still these last two games (unless there are ties which would screw the USA) amount to elimination games. No one is safe. Whoever loses the Ghana-USA game is definitely out, and whoever loses the Czech-Italy game is most likely out. The one doubt I have is that Italy may play very defensively (not that their defense isn't very good normally) and bascially try for a 0-0 tie. A tie for Italy will be good enough in all likelihood, as it will give them 5 points. In that scenario, The Czech Republic would finish with 4 points, and the USA cannot finish with more than 4 points, so if Italy ties, the worst they can finish is second in the group. Actually, it would be unbelievable if Ghana comes out of that group - no one would have predicted that.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

switzerland ties with korea; Togo, in their last match, surprises France. Switzerland and korea advance. Henry cries like a school girl.

Czech and Italy have choice. Second to advance has to play Brazil and no one wants to do that, except for U.S. which has no choice. So i don't expect to see a defensive Italy to start the game. At least, both teams will be looking for an early goal to defend.

[ June 19, 2006, 16:39: Message edited by: teekc ]

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    How do they decide the second round matchups? I assume the 1st place teams get to play 2nd place teams from different groups, but is it fixed which spots play which? For example, if USA finishes 2nd do they definitely get Brazil, or do they randomly get one of the teams that finished first in their group? Alterntively, is it fixed in the sense that (again an example here) the first place team in group A gets the 2nd place team from group B?

4. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It is fixed, for example if England finish top of their group they will play runners up of group A (i think) which will either be Germany or Ecuador whilst if England finish 2nd in their group they will play the winners of group A.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31

second round matchups are determined before the tournament.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

basically it is winner of group X plays second place of group Y in "A"; winner of group Y plays second place of group X in "B". At the end, winner of A tree will meet winner of B tree in the final.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep, we already know we'll face either Portugal or Mexico, depending on the final standings after three games.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'd rather you faced Mexico :thumb: .
    I like to see the Oranje do well, and the Portuguese can be a tricky little side to beat.

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aye, dont us English know it. :sosad:

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

What's about Harry Kewell? Has he done something to the refery? (Pron...). I haven't seen anything specially from Portugal this WC, mayhaps they'll get their *** whipped by England :p

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Mexico and Portugal are equal in strength, so it doesn't really matter to me, however, we did have some trouble with the tricky Portugese in the past, so Mexico might suit us better. On the other hand, we still have a score to settle with the Portugese, so i'm also like "bring it on".

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

At least today's results have brought some normality to things.

Until that Tunisia goal, that is!

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Spain got back into it. Not a terrific performance though.

There's only Argentina who have been consistently good so far. Maybe they're burning themselves out too early though...

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You've got to love the virtual replays on BBC Sport. Amazing, when you can't be near a TV. Not sure how they manage to get those animations up on there so quickly.

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Before Spain scored the tie goal, people already wanted to kill the coach, funny how things turn out, after the game, everybody loves Aragones...

15. Harbourboy

What are everyone's picks for:

Germany v Ecuador ( I have 1-0)
    England v Sweden (I have 1-0)

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm sticking to my favorites: South Korea, Argentina, Nederlands and Italy :p

I'd give the England vs Sweden to the brits despite their not-so-good performances thus far. Gerrard's goal was frickin awesome though.

The Germany vs Ecuador is hard to call. Should be a good match. I'm rooting for the underdogs though :)

17. teekc Gems: 23/31

i just come back from me 12 hrs work and finally have a good look and Spanish game. Spain for the champion, all the way!

18. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yeah Spain has done a nice job so far, they would be a great WC winner team....

19. teekc Gems: 23/31

And can someone explain to me how is Brazil the champion? What performance they gave, compare with Argentina, Spain, Germany and such. Tell me good Brazil match. People talk about how skillful their players are, where are the skill? Saw any footwork from the Brazillians?

20. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Did you see any footworks from the Greeks two years ago ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.