1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Maybe they spent all the "jogo bonito" in advertisings :lol:
    The one thing I get to hate about Brazil (and some other teams) is the fact that they have so many good 'star' players that many times they don't play a good game at all and even you start to feel that the other team is just about to score but then one of them stars just make one good play and they score... I hate it...

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    How hard is it to understand that when it's England, Britain doesn't come into it?

The England v Sweden match will be probably be a draw, as that will do for both teams. Sweden will be looking for the win a lot more than we will though, as a draw will leave us top of the group.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Out of curiosity, do Wales and Scotland and/or N. Ireland field teams? I know none of them are in the WC, but is that because they didn't qualify or that they don't field teams. To put it another way, are all the people on England's team English? Or are some from Wales and Scotland?

4. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

England fields English players. The National Teams of Scotland sucks. Wales is not always easy to play against.

[Edit] Germany 2 - 0 Ecuador.
    Hm. Ecuador isn't happening at all, it seems like they're satisfied with second place in group A. Do they know more than we do? Is England going to lose against Sweden? Still, Klose is in pretty good shape.

[ June 20, 2006, 16:51: Message edited by: Darkthrone ]

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Scotland, NI and Wales are all crap. Put it this way, if there was a British team, it would be all English players all the way through. They have a deep dislike of England and it's national teams (if you believe what they say). They are ABE's (Anyone But England) and will support whoever we are playing.
    They reckon we're arrogant and delusional about our team, we reckon they're bitter and obsessed with their big brothers because they are useless themselves.

It's all in good jest though... mostly ;) .

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

*cough*Ryan Giggs*cough*

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    No chance, Joe Cole is twice the player he is these days ;) . That's the same Joe Cole who took Robbens starting place at Chelsea by the way :D :lol: .

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

As far as i know, few players have a starting place to begin with on Chelsea, they keep switching like Arsenal. Next to that, Robben is injured half of the time, so he has been of little value for Chelsea. Were it not for that, i'd take Robben over Joe Cole any match of the year, he's proven his worth more than once this tournament for us.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have seen Northern Ireland and Scotland playing World Cup finals before. I've even watched New Zealand play Scotland in a World Cup finals game (Spain 1982).

Ooh, England up 1-0. Joe Cole!!

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

2-2, one minute before final whistle. Best match of both teams in the cup so far.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    That is absolutely unbelievable. We still can't beat these guys! We were just about home, but then we gifted them the softest of goals. The defenders should have to do double training hours next week for that crap.

Tell you what though, you have to give it to the Swedes. They're a similar kind if team to the USA. Not very much talent, but they make the most of what they have and make themselves a very tough to beat. Very organised, determined and have good team-work.

Scorcher by Joey Cole, that's the best of this World Cup so far. We should have broken the curse today though...

Gutted about Owen though, that looked really bad. Ferdinand better not be seriously injured either...

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

However...TOP OF THE GROUP! Whoooo! Yeah!

13. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Excellent game, Sweden-England. First half to England and second half to Sweden.
    Gerrard saving on the goal line, IIRC, and then scoring a bit later - a good substitution by Svennis.

Very exciting game to watch! :thumb:

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

England had luck, we should've won that game with 2-1.

Also, what the ****?
    I think MANY real sport experts would say otherwise about Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Isaksson, Ljungberg, and Wilhelmsson.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Looks like England gets a free walk into the quarters, lucky bastards. :D

The Swedes will have their work cut out for themselves though, the Germans are really on a roll.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The curse of the englishmen lives on... as it should be.

Really happy that Sweden didn't loose, but we still have to beat Germany.

17. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ecuador is no pushover, far from it.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Rutkowski - what was lucky? A draw, on the whole, was probably a fair result but to be honest you only got that draw because we GIFTED you an equalizer. We should have won else. The injuries to Owen to Ferdinand buggered us up a bit.

Sweden have Larsson, Ibrahimovic (although he's been CRAP for over a year and Juve fans want rid of him) and Ljungberg are the only players even approaching world class. Isaksson is OK I guess but I don't rate Wilhelmsson that much. And Larsson is retiring soon, so...

The rest is done through hard work and team work. Which is to be commended, it's in no way a slight on Sweden. If England had Swedens team work and determination, we'd stand a much stronger in this WC.

It was good to see Rooney get through some minutes and that be GUTTED about being taken off. He's still nothing like fit, but even at 30% fitness he nearly crafted himself a wonder goal in the first half, which would have been the best goal so far if he managed to get a clear shot and goal.

I just wish we could put the Sweden curse to rest...!

And Pac Man, I wouldn't call Ecuador a walkover. They have good defenders and look strong going forward. But, to be honest, if we don't beat them comfortably I will be upset :lol: . Still BIG room for improvement if we are to get past the quarters.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yeah right, just because they beat Poland and Costa Rica, that doesn't mean they're a good team. They're lucky they made it this far, and that's probably exactly how they feel too. Would you rather be in our position and face Portugal next week ? :D

Germany showed us exactly how good Ecuador is when under pressure. If England doesn't win that game with at least 2-0, i'll change my name into Nigel, and wear a bowler hat for 6 months straight.

20. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Barmy wrote:
    That is complete and utter rubbish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.