1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theGodless Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Media:
    Not good enough for Aston Villa? Well Marcus Allbäck wasn't either :p

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Maybe Ghana will win.

3. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I found that goal hilarious. Allbäck was responsible that his german team Hansa Rostock dropped into our second league two years ago because he didn't score any goals. And now he's scoring against England.

My bet's on Australia. :D

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

My little predictions. Hope I got the matchups right. :)

1/8
    Germany win vs Sweden
    Argentina win vs Mexico
    England win vs Ecuador
    Netherlands win vs Portugal
    Italy win vs Croatia
    Ukraine win vs Switzerland
    Brazil win vs Ghana
    Spain win vs Korea

1/4
    Argentina win vs Ukraine
    Germany win vs Italy
    Spain win vs Netherlands
    Brazil win vs England

1/2
    Spain win vs Germany
    Argentina win vs Brazil

Final
    Argentina win vs Spain

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I think that in the semi-finals Germany faces Argentina and Brazil faces Spain.

6. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Nope. The groups A - D and E - H meet in the semi-final at the earliest. Earl Grey's quarter final should look like this:

1/4
    Argentina vs Germany
    Ukraine vs Italy
    England vs Netherlands
    Brazil vs Spain

My Prediction is:

1/8
    Germany win vs Sweden
    Argentina win vs Portugal
    Ecuador win vs England
    Netherlands win vs Mexico
    Italy win vs Australia
    Ukraine win vs Switzerland
    Brazil win vs Ghana
    Spain win vs France

1/4
    Argentina win vs Germany
    Netherlands win vs Ecuador
    Italy win vs Ukraine
    Brazil win vs Spain

1/2
    Brazil win vs Italy
    Argentina win vs Netherlands

Final
    Argentina win vs Brazil

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We'll not lose to Ecuador, but we'll lose to Holland in the quarters I reckon.

@teek, I'm not being funny mate but I'd really wish you'd stop talking bollocks. That save from Larsson was one of the best saves you'll see this World Cup. He had all of about a fraction of a second to make a reflex save and get something in the way of the ball. Unbelievable reactions.

The goals we conceded were both terrible. Allback should never have got ahead of his marker for the first and the second was just embarassing. Legs were flying about like a team of ballerinas instead of someone just getting in the way of it and lacing it into row Z. The first half was a good performance though. All the other teams would have sit up and taken notice of that performance. The second half was terrible, and we brought it on ourselves. Our passing game was shockingly bad 2nd half.

[ June 21, 2006, 14:11: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Actually, i give England better chances against Holland at the moment. Our frontline can score against any team, but it's our midfield, and especially our defense that worries me. Cocu seems to be playing with a slight injury, bad enough to hamper his gameplay, and v. Bommel has been dissapointing so far. Sneyder gets in trouble when he faces a physical opponent, en vd Vaart is still not 100% fit.

In defense we've had lady luck on our side so far, but we look extremely vulnerable from time to time. I also think the coach made one or two wrong choices when he made his selection complete. As a team, i think England is a little further than us. I don't expect us to go all the way, because this is still a very young team, but in 4 years, they have to be ready for a succesful WC campaign, when our lads from the -21 team that recently won the European championship have gained some additional experience. Van Nistelrooy will then be replaced by Huntelaar, a man who should have been playing right now as far as i'm concerned. It's amazing, we have a man who scored more than 50 goals this year, and he's not even selected.

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

No, we're not. We don't loose against England, because England continue to be full of themselves in every single game and tournament, believing they are the best of the world.

And you didn't give away an equalizer. If anything, we gave YOU a chance to get a second lead in the game. If football was fair, we would've won that game 2-1.

10. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If Owen had not gone off IMO England would have converted more of their chances and scored atleast 3 as the Swedes were intent on playing attacking football and occasionally neglected their defence. Our defending was worse to be honest but i believe that if Rio was still on the pitch Swedens second goal would not have gone in, Sol Campbell is in no way match fit. Not to mention we started with Hargreaves as Gerrard was on a yellow card.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    What are you talking about, Rutkowski.

I find this really comical, when people slate England for being over-confident, then do their best to run them down ignoring all the obvious. I expected better from you, I thought you were pretty unbiased.

England owned the first half, Sweden owned the second. We didn't deserve to win the game and neither did you. But that doesn't hide the fact that both goals were soft goals for us to concede. Especially the last one, that was just terrible defending and I doubt we will do that again. It's a shame that Ferdinand had to go off really, as I doubt he would have flapped a leg at the cross like Campbell did. He's past it I reckon that bloke.

A draw was a fair result.

And what tosh that is :lol: .

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think it's funny that you guys keep going on about "oh, if this had happened, or if that had happened". Facts are that neither team was able to score more than the other so it was a draw.

And you're all making a big assumption that Argentina is going to win this morning. Stil nil-all last time I looked, with neither side really going all out to win.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Still nil-nil, Harbs. I reckon it'll stay that way too.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Holland-Argentina 0-0, Portugal it is then. I'd rather play Mexico, but at least we get a chance to settle a score with Portugal. If we make it through, it's gonna be England next.

15. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Yeah, Mexico in the next round would have better, but Argentina was pretty good. I'm surprised there weren't any goals; I expected Argentina to make a quick comeback and sink one in. Oh well, it's kinda hard to win when both teams are playing the ball in the direction of the Dutch goal. Why on earth do they have to play the ball towards the keeper all the time (or at least more than any other team does).

And am I btw the only one who thinks Australia is gonna make it to the next round? I don't claim to know a lot about football, but Hiddink did it with South Korea four years ago, so is it really so unrealistic?

16. Harbourboy

Not any more, it isn't. All Australia need is a draw against Croatia to go through. And with a possible 2nd round match with Ghana, they even have an unthinkable shot at the quarter finals.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Neither side were too bothered about that game to be honest, that was evident in both of them resting stars. So long as neither side got hammered and lost confidence, it was a 'ok, let's get this out of the way and move on to the knockout stages' game and had 0-0 written allover it.

18. Harbourboy

Tomorrow's games are huge though (except maybe Brazil v Japan - unless Japan win). The other three are massive in determining the next round.

19. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I heard that 900 Dutch fans showed up for a game with shorts advertising the wrong kind of beer. I heard that they were required to remove them before being allowed to enter the stadium or something like that. Anyone else hear that?

20. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Yup, thats right. FIFA are pretty strict about advertising :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.