1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

With those attackers that Eriksson put up for England, I reckon Sweden won't be letting in any goals against England, that's for sure.

It's almost as if Eriksson were pissed for getting fired and going "haha who's laughing when you have 0-3 in win/losses after the world cup?"

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3678511a1823,00.html

A big test for how well prepared Brazil are for this World Cup will come on June 4 when they come up against the mighty New Zealand All Whites. Expect New Zealand to put up a stern challenge and possibly keep Brazil to less than 20 goals.

Unfortunately, New Zealand are currently in a 'rebuilding' phase so will not be attending the actual World Cup finals themselves, this year.

3. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Poor Rooney, I saw a few images of him whit his foot in some restraint. What can I say? But I still think he will make the second round. (To be sure we will fire up the old altar and sacrifice something.)

The first friendlies are being played, or have been. Van Nistelrooy just scored so his time on the Manchester bench seems to have made him fresh and hungry for a new contract.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We'll miss him badly without a doubt. We're very one-dimensional without the worlds best young player.

Can't wait for it now. Even though we're likely to get knocked out in the quarters (if we get that far).

5. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Rooney is good, but i wouldn't want to call him the world's best young player. When i compare him with Lionel Messi, i'd have to say that the Argentinian is much more allround than rooney is today.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    And what would you class as a weakness that Rooney has, John? He's fast, very strong, agile, has a great shot from anywhere, great finisher, his vision is unbelievable, he can dribble and take players on and he just relishes the big occasion.

Messi is good, but he's not as good shooting outside the box and he's not as strong. They are both the 2 worlds best young players, but Rooney is better than Messi for me, because he has no weaknesses.

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31

No, Rooney is better for you because he's an Englishman. :p You'd probably say Messi was the better player if he was English. :D

I can't really think of any weaknesses Rooney might have, it's just that Messi seems the better ballhandler to me. In some ways he even reminds me of Maradona in his younger years. I heard some British comments in which they even compared Rooney with Pele, but that's a completely ridiculous statement if you ask me. Let him prove what he's worth for a few years on the highest level before making bold statements like that. I recall the same British enthousiasm with Gascoigne, and we all know what a big poof he turned out to be.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    No, Rooney is just better than Messi ;) . As I say, you can look at Messi and pick one or two weaknesses, you can't do that with Rooney really. Although they are quite similar players.

To be honest, whenever a half decent player comes along he gets compared to Pelé, it's stupid but that's British press for you. Cocks, the lot of them.

I don't think I've ever seen a better English striker than Rooney as long as I've lived. He's just exceptional. A match winner, pure and simple. He carries the Man Utd team and the England team, both of which are nowhere near as good without the Roonster.

He's 2nd only to Steven Gerrard in the list of best English players I've seen play (so far!) and will only get better.

9. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Just trying to make you extra nervous mate. :D

By now you should know that once my fellow countrymen don't deliver, England is my favourite team. Personally i don't think England has to worry all that much. Sure, they'll miss Rooney, but there's plenty of talent left to go a long way. Keep the faith mate. ;)

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oooh, Brazil only beat Lucerne by 8-0. Can't wait for their big clash against New Zealand. Not sure how much worse we are then Lucerne, (but probably much worse).

11. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yeah, probably. :D

12. Harbourboy

Hey, New Zealand just beat Georgia 3-1 and drew 1-1 with Estonia. Those teams must be better than Lucerne, surely. I bet Ronaldo is quaking in his golden boots now! Bring on Brazil!

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31

We just beat Mexico, with a B squad. :D

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, many countries are envy at our b squad.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Crouchinho just got a hattrick for England as we beat Jamaica 6-0 in the last game before the world cup. Go Crouchy!

They were garbage though.

16. Harbourboy

What was that stupid robot dance he kept doing? What a clown.

Ooh, only 7 hours to the big New Zealand vs Brazil clash!! The irrestible force meets the, um, bunch of amateurs. Go the All Whites! Ronaldinho who? Those Brazilians don't even have second names.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    He did it at Beckhams pre-WC party, and the press got pictured of it and took the piss in the papers. So it was for their benefit.

I won't mind if I a lot more of it during the World Cup, no matter how stupid it is!

18. Harbourboy

Only minutes to go before kick-off! NZ's 3rd ever game against Brazil. We lost 4-0 and 2-0 the other two times. I'll be impressed if we keep them to less than 10 today.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    It'll be about 4-0 I guess.

20. Harbourboy

10 minutes in and still 0-0. Although, it is a bit like watching the Harlem Globetrotters playing, really. NZ are a bit star struck, I think. We can't get near them. At least you don't get any of those silly fake dives in friendly games like this.

Shame that our best player can't be there (Ryan Nelsen who plays for Blackburn Rovers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.