1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

England are going to cruise home against Paraguay. That early goal was a blessing for them and Paraguay have looked pretty flaky ever since.

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

U.S. tv commetary, former team U.S. player, starts the England Paraguay game with "we have Ashley Cole and Lampard running up and down the side and beckham and gerrard in the middle"

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

And Peter Crouch breakdancing on the touch line. What's the weird shadow on the middle of the field?

EDIT: Bah, Paraguay are rubbish. I'm going to bed.

[ June 10, 2006, 16:30: Message edited by: Harbourboy ]

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The only reason why England will most likely come away with a win today, is because Paraguay are even worse than they are. It's because of matches like this that i sometimes wonder why i even bother watching at all.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The English didn't score, yet they won.
    Weird referee, man. Guess he isn't too fond of the English.

6. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I was very disappointed with the English team. I expected that they would spread the scoreboard on the second half, but instead they retreat to their own half and made no real attempt to finish the game once and for all. Off course Paraguai was really pathetic. They were completely incapable to create even the smallest threat during the whole game.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I don't agree with thaat fully. Valdez created some nice opportunities.

8. Atmer

Atmer Wandering... Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] You are right; I did exaggerated a little bit. ;)
    I was only pushing a little far to make my point that Paraguay lacked of creative quality to create real opportunities to their forwards. Valdez was the only player who was trying to make some good out of it. Did anyone hear the name Santa Cruz during the game?

9. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    I thought you might have exaggerated it, but after I posted my thing. :s
    But I agree with most of you that the match wasn't too interesting.
    I hope 'Orange' (The Dutch team) will be more fun to watch, tomorrow.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here's what i don't get. You play against Trinidad and Tobago, who are also playing with one man less because of a red card, and you play with just one deep targetman, and you constantly keep 4 players behind to guard T&T's two strikers. I don't know, but Sweden's coach must be the biggest coward on the face of the planet. With a gameplan like that, you'll never win anything.

11. Atmer

The first surprise of the World Cup. :eek:
    I had bet that Sweden would win 3 x 0, and now I own a friend, who doesn’t even like football, a pack full of beers. :(

12. teekc Gems: 23/31

have you heard of a chinese saying, "new born calf not afraid of tiger"?

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

US TV commentary is terrible. Someone put Dave O'Brien out of his misery...

14. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

No comments from Sweden because we have all committed suicide after the Trinidad and Tobago game. I'm the last one to go...

15. teekc Gems: 23/31

U.S. commentary again.

After Drogba's goal "a game that has been controlled by Argentina has now turned 360 degree"

this has nothing to do with football, your high school trig. will tell you when you turn 360 degree, you go back to the same point!

16. Harbourboy

I thought the first surprise of the World Cup was the Ecuador win. A 0-0 draw isn't a surprise. I said at that start that my main problem with soccer generally is there seem to be too many 0-0 draws. Anyway, great thing about the Soccer World Cup is that if you pick all the expected results, you'll never get them all right because there are always a few interesting ones you'd never pick. I bet none of you have got 100%, and there have only been 5 games.

17. Atmer

Lol, and I thought that some Brazilians commentators where bad.... :D

@ Harbourboy I don’t think that Ecuador win over Poland was a surprise, they are roughly at the same level. Sweden, on the other hand, have better players than Trindad and Tobago in every position of the pitch. I have to agree with you, predictions in football games are very hard to make, but it only serves to give the game an extra flavor.

18. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    We were crap. But at the end of the day, we won the match.

I have a killer hangover ffs :( . I'm never having beer again.

To be fair, the first half performance wasn't bad against a Paraguay team who are no mugs. The 2nd half performance was crap. Although to be fair, Robinson didn't really have much work to do. I think the heat played a factor to be honest. It was red hot out there, the lads drunk 75 litres of water between them. Sapped it out of them.

Oh, and the ref was garbage.

Worst player, toss up between Lampard and Ashley Cole. Lampard did nothing except take a few pot shots and Coley still looks a little bit off the pace. Best player was Joey Cole. He's been England's best player for the last 12 months. Owen's not very sharp either.

And that goal should be given to Beckham. Brilliant precision from the freekick and it was going in before it clipped that kids head. FIFA are going to 'look at it'. Just give it to him!

And what was that 'video box' about? Not only did it cast a stupid shadow on the pitch, it's low enough to be hit by the ball. Stupid stadium design...

Headache :(

[ June 11, 2006, 01:04: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

19. Harbourboy

That comment holds no weight, because you ALWAYS think the ref (or umpire) is rubbish, no matter what sport you're commenting on. You've got this mass hallucination thing going whereby you always think the ref is being unfair to your team.

20. teekc Gems: 23/31

FINALLY a person with common sense common with me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.