1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Official World Cup Thread (no.1)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

In his defense, and mine as well, he had a lot of beer :beer:

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    He was poor for both teams, he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Well, it could be worse, like the one who lead the Argentina-Ivory Coast game last night.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    That was a brilliant match that was.
    Argentina are looking pretty good and look like they mean business.
    Ivory Coast impressed me greatly aswell. Really fit side.
    Sweden should have beaten T&T but hey, good on 'em! I love to see the underdog do well. Fair play, about half a dozen of their players might have got sent off, but still! Great result for them!

Now it's just a win vs T&T and we've qualified, a professional, solid performance will secure that victory. Then so long as we don't lose to Sweden, we've won this group without coming out of second gear. We'll need to up our game against the good teams though. Big time.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Overperforming underdogs are exactly what the neutral observer (like me) wants to see.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    We play Austrtalia in about half an hour or more, that'll be interesting to see how we do. If we don't play Van Gisbergen and Olly Barkley today I think I might scream. If we don't turn in a good performance it's time for Robinson to walk the plank. The bloke is a bloody plank!!
    We have two brilliant try-scorers in Josh Lewsey and Mark Cueto, yet they never see the ball, it's a travesty and the blame can only go to Charlie bloody Hodgson and clown-Robinson.

Edit - Woops I put this in the wrong thread.

[ June 11, 2006, 11:29: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

:wail: :wail: :wail: :wail: :wail:

We *have* to beat England now, and Paraguay. We had like 20 shots at the goal in the game, and none went in...

:wail:

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Booooooring.

Second half was dreadful, it almost seemed like everyone didn't feel like playing football very much. Well, like England, at least we got off with the 3 points, and in the end that's the only thing people will remember.

And what's with those friggin shadows on the pitch, whenever the ball is in that section, i can hardly see anything.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    I didn't think it was a bad game. If Serbia could actually put a decent cross into the box, they might've got a goal with that big forward. But the balls in were terrible.

Robben had a good game and made trouble whenever he got the ball. The other games in this group will be interesting now.

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I agree Barmy. We're desperately lacking some creative flair in midfield. Can we borrow Beckham? Or Gerrard? :p

Deserved win for Holland, but apart from Robben who we couldn't stop, I wasn't that impressed with anybody. I wonder how they'll fare against the much faster Ivorians...

11. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not bad. Not at all bad. I wouldn't even think of playing with these temperatures.
    Slightly chaotic game every now and then. Lots of minor mistakes etc.
    Robben was good. Van Persie was a sneak in the second half, seemed he wasn't even touched by his oponent, but he gained a free kick. :nono:

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Same way as we dealt with Cameroun two weeks ago, we simply score on goal more than they do. :grin: If we stay focussed in defense, i don't forsee too much trouble, Ivory coast sometimes plays completely chaotic and are completely depending on Drogba, or so it seems. Guard him well, and they're pretty helpless. I was more worried about Serbia up front, since they hardly got any goals against them in the qualifying rounds, but then i remembered you were playing Spain and Belgium, not the best teams when it comes to scoring. And besides, we're making a habit out of beating Serbia, no matter if it was a difficult game, like in 1998 or today, or a complete walkover, like in 2000, we always come out victorious. :p

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought Mexico looked pretty handy, even if they were only playing Iran.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    They're a bit ropey at the back though, Marquez can't do all the work himself. As soon as they meet a decent side, they'll get out-gunned.

15. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

@teekc: someone somewhere must be making a compilation of all the stupid things O'Brien says. Really unbelievable: armed with only a dossier of useless trivia about the players and no understanding of the game, he manages a non-stop stream of inannities....

Now *that's* something I'd place a bet on. Did you even make it 24 hrs, BA?

16. Harbourboy

I wish I had $1 for all the times I've said I'm never drinking again.

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

conservatism plague all matches except the first one. Score one early => walk around aimlessly early and sub out stars early.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is a book with many weird quotes of Johan Cruijff. The man has a good knowledge it seems about the players, but he sais so many weird, stupid or obvious things that they made a compilation. Quite a fun thing to read.

19. Harbourboy

I wish Portugal would get another goal. Bring on Nuno Gomes!

20. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

From the POR - ANG game on ESPN2, i confirmed my theory,
    football tv commentary must have a Scottish or Irish accent to be enjoyable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.