1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game 2

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Hulk? You don't want to push him too far.

I still think scab should be right. It starts off as liquid (blood) but when you push it too far, it breaks off and you're left with a scar.

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is glass. Your turn Carcaroth.

3. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I thought HB must have been right with Scab, but hey.

Reasonably easy mathematical one, but forgive me as I've changed the last three lines in a fit of artistic pique.

'Here lies Diophantus,' the wonder behold.
    Through art algebraic, the stone tells how old:
    'God gave him his boyhood one-sixth of his life,
    One twelfth more as youth while whiskers grew rife;
    And then yet one-seventh ere marriage begun;
    In five years there came a bouncing new son.
    Alas, the dear child of master and sage
    Died after attaining half of his Dad's final age
    After four further years of consoling his fate
    Diophantus passed on, through Heavens great gate.

How old were Diophantus and his son when they died?

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    70 and 35? :D

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

6. Carcaroth

Please go ahead good sir.

7. Carcaroth

Obviously not. Try this one instead:

You are driving in a car at a constant speed. On your left side is a valley and on your right side is a fire engine travelling at the same speed as you.

In front of you is a galloping pig which is the same size as your car and you cannot overtake it. Behind you is a helicopter flying at ground level. Both the giant pig and the helicopter are also travelling at the same speed as you.

What must you do to safely get out of this highly dangerous situation?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Keep driving at a constant speed and try not to scare the oversized porcine? By the sounds of it, everyone's going the same way at the same speed so as long as you maintain the status quo, you're in no danger.

Or, the Fire Truck is travelling on the opposite direction, so you wait for it to pass, and move into the other lane and overtake the pig as you would have been able to do normally.

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Ring the fire brigade (handsfree of course) and tell them about a fire near by so the fire engine's course gets diverted allowing you to turn right (dodgy I know but hey, its what i would do. either that or hold up a frying pan and a knife in the direction of the pig. mmm, bacon :D )

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wake up, you're dreaming.

11. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Follow the road or whatever and wait 'till the canyon goes away (or when a bridge appears), and then turn left.

Seemingly not very "riddly"...

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :yot:

Maurolava posted this a while ago:

I loved this answer to that old riddle:

Order of the Stick Riddle

Back to the riddle already in progress....

13. Carcaroth

Well Mags mirrors my orriginal thoughts but no-one has the correct answer.

Hint: Where are you actually likely to find the aforementioned scenario.

14. T2Bruno

Media:
    Wait for the ride to come to a complete stop and follow the instructions of the attendant to the exit.

15. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Wait for the roundabout (merry-go-round) to stop and get off.

16. Carcaroth

DS claims it by a gnats whisker. Here, let me pass you a balloon on a stick for a change.

17. DarkStrider

Woot I got a shiny :banana:

Find a simple method of solving:
    6751X + 3249Y = 26751
    3249X + 6751Y = 23249

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    Two equations, two unknowns -- how can it be any easier?

combining the two equations gives:

X - Y = 1

Substituting into the first equation gives:

10000Y=20000

Y=2, X=3.

No calculator was used or harmed in the solving of this problem.

19. Carcaroth

Do simultaneous equations not count as simple?

Oops, beaten to it by T2

20. DarkStrider

Right answer not the simplest way if you add you get
    X + Y = 5
    subtracting gives
    X - Y = 1
    and thus

But have a shiny ballon (it's french) on a stick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.