1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Riddle Game

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lost Meme, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nakia has the right idea--original answer is a wooden ship carrying people, but a cart fits too.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Does that mean I have to come with a riddle now?

I don't think this has been posted:

Throw me off the highest building, and I'll not break. But put me in the ocean, and I will. What am I?

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

A piece of paper? If you throw it off a building, it'll float down, but if you stick it in the ocean, it will dissolve.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Close enough Saber. The original riddle had tissue (which is paper) as the answer but I think there could be several alternate answers.

Go Saber!

5. Saber

A woman shoots her husband.
    Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes.
    Finally, she hangs him.
    But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together.
    How can this be?

6. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

She took a picture of him and developed it. Then they went out for a supper.

7. Saber

GAR! Ye be correct! She was a photographer, shot a picture of him, developed him (by dunking the picture of him in the chemicals), and then hung him up to dry...

Go ahead!

8. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

What 7 letter word becomes longer when the third letter is removed?

I don't know if this has been said yet.. so go 'head!

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

10. Elwithral Irenicus Gems: 20/31

Why yes!

Your turn, oh most wonderful .. undead dragon?

11. DarkStrider

Why thank you (it's undead dragon disciple actually)

Which is heavier (and why) a pound of feathers or a pound of platinum ?

12. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Neither, they both weigh a pound

13. DarkStrider

Wrong one is heavier and there is a reason logically

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Well, if you were to just dump a "pound" of feathers onto the scales, the buoyancy forces in the air would give lift to individual feathers, making the whole lot seem lighter. Any buoyancy forces would be basically negligible for a block of platinum, though, because of its very high density. Mass-wise they're still equivalent, but the weight would measure differently.

Of course, if you're talking pounds Sterling, I'd go for the feathers. Platinum's more expensive than gold, so £1 wouldn't buy very much, but feathers (for stuffing pillows, say) are much cheaper, and you could probably get enough with £1 to out-weigh the platinum.

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Feathers because they are weighed with a different system than platinum. Avouirdupous, iirc, has 16oz=1lb while the other weighing name is 12oz=1lb. Or something like that.

16. DarkStrider

Correct kuemper Platinum and all precious metals are measured by the Troy system which has 12 ounces each weighing about 31.1g, but the feathers are weighed by the avoirdupois system and has 16 oubces each weighing 28.35g The conversion rate is 1lb avoirdupois = 1.2152 Troy pounds.

Congrats have a big pointy thing :thumb:

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

/accepts pointy thing :mommy:

My thunder comes before the lightning
    My lightning comes before the clouds
    My rain dries all the land it touches
    What am I?

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A volcano?

19. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Obviously a volcano. Your turn, HB.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just moving this to the top for either HB or IJA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.