1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Smear Campaign Against Kerry

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Yes, well I'm sure you have forgotten about how the Bush minions smeared John McCain in the primaries. There were all those rumors and phone calls of how McCain had fathered all those "illegitimate black childern." Frankly, I think every decent American should be offended by Shrub and his goons. He has tarnished everything decent that America has ever stood for.

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If you want an example of a smear campaign that dwarfs the SBV claims (the SBV have even moved on and are calling Kerry to task for his anti-war stand) not only in terms of support by the Liberal media and Democratic 527 groups, but also in the magnitude of the inaccuracies and distortions, one need look no further than Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11".

Liberal soft money groups have been sponsoring free showings of that trash in most of the swing States. At least the Washington Post in a neutral and unbiased study have found that it appears that there is some merit to the claims that the SBV make...virtually all reliable sources have tried to distance themselves from Moore's distortion of fact and truth.

I never felt it was right to question Kerry's military service...he was there, he took hostile fire, he has my respect as a veteran. What I find to be unforgivable is that he would gladly testify before Congress that American servicemen where murderers and butchers and lawless, when POW's (like John McCain) were resisting torture to NOT make those kind of statements.

In my book he was a traitor in that way to all of his brothers in arms, and is unfit for office. He should have held his comments until the war was over and our soldiers were home.

That is only my first reason to not vote for Kerry. I fear that not enough Americans will agree with me.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Funny how Kerry is being thrashed today for speaking the truth in a time when no one wanted the truth. Still dont it seems.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Gods above I want to see you lot in a room with foam bats. I swear you lot are on the verge of hitting one another. This is great reading :)

I wish in New Zealand we had as many people as you do with more money than brains. Then we too could see these political movement private-funded ads.

I'll just stick to Jib Jab for now though :)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Great Snook, Bion pretty much said what I would have. For starters, that website has a miniscule effect. No one that doesn't want to go there needs to go there. Heck, I've never been there. On TV and in press, commercials are shoved down your throat everywhere, and even if you never want to see one, you eventially still get to see a lot of them.

Second, none of the 3 things on your list could be identified as smear. The fact that Fox (Faux) is a propaganda machine for Bush has long been public knowledge and a stuff of jokes all over the world, not just the US. The second two aren't smearing in any way either. You seem to have problems understanding the difference between smearing and criticism. Smearing uses lies, character assassination and distorts facts to achive what criticism does by simply pointing out the truth. That's the main difference in layman's terms.

As for Michael Moore, I've asked the lawyers here a couple of times why the people he criticizes haven't sued him if like they say, "it's all lies". No one could tell me. Well, here's what I found out since then. Moore has a group of people checking and double checking the claims he lists in each of his books and movies working 24/7, and also to disprove any attempts at discrediting his work. Of course, the amount of such attempts is way too staggering for them to be able to reply to every one of them. But still, this means that Moore can quote a source or origin for all of his claims. And he's been sued only a couple of times, and for rather trivial things, not one of the major claims he makes.

People, this is the US we're talking about. Do you really think if most (yes, most, he's not infallible either) of what he is saying wasn't true, that those people he attacks would just stand idly by and do nothing? Not in this world.

Btw, here's some more news. Too little, too late sums it up nicely. I just hope the same won't prove for Kerry's defense against these attacks.

[ August 24, 2004, 13:46: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here we go again.

1. Moveon.org is not just a web site. The "funny" ads you watched are not just for streaming on the web site. They are television ads being run to influence voters.

2. I totally disagree with your assessment of what is a smear and what is a "criticism". To me comparing the President with communism is one hell of a smear. As Hacken pointed out there are people who do not believe that what the SBV are saying is a smear and is instead telling "The Truth" or you could say a criticism of how Kerry behaved in Vietnam and once he returned to the States. Once again I consider it the pot calling the kettle black. The left has been demonizing Bush for years. I need someone to explain to me how called the President "Shrub" is not a smear or even a character assassination. I don't see anyone (besides me) complaining that it is inappropriate.

3. As to why Bush and the other people in Moore's movie haven't sued him, you should have asked me. Nobody in their right mind would sue Moore in a public courtroom. He has shown repeatedly that he is a publicity hound and the last thing anyone would want to do is to give him another stage. It is the same reason that most gossip magazines don't get sued. As to Moore having fact checkers, you should do a couple of web searchs. There are plenty of sites out there that refute almost everything he has to say.

As I stated before my major problem with the entire issue is the hypocrisy of it. A negative campaign is a negative campaign. The left looks at SBV commercials and jumps up and down and screams "Bad Bad, you stop that". Then they look at Moveon.org and the various other pro Democrat organizations and they make an evaluation and say "That isn't that bad, nothing to see here, everyone keep moving." I consider it intelliectually dishonest.

As to Abomination wanting us to get the foam bats out, all I can think of is the Simpsons when Bart realizes they work better if you slide the foam piece off. :)

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

And in answer to your question as to why Michael Moore doesn't get sued, it is very difficult to prove libel or slander in the particular medium he uses. Interestingly enough...the one "employee" of Moore who has positively been identified has come forward to cofirm his misuse of the headline of a particular newspaper announcing Gore as the winner in Florida...turns out the supposed headline was really just an op-ed piece some weeks before the election. Really, anyone who thinks that Micheal Moore paints an honest and unbiased view of American history needs to take a look at this lovely bridge I have for sale. He raises some interesting ideas, but so does Alien vs. Predator.

If it were so easy to sue...don't you think Kerry could settle the whole deal and just take the SBV to court? Kerry will not sue, because it is too hard to gain a conviction and he does not want the questions of his military service drug out into the harsh light of a courtroom.

Unfortunately, Department of Navy records seem to support at least some of the SBV side of the story.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Um, I think the explanation is really quite straightforward. Anyone who is somewhat fluent in English is well aware that "shrub" and "bush" can be used pretty much interchangably. I'm sure there's some technical difference between what one would call a shrub and what one would call a bush, but they both define somewhat large plants typically seen in front of people's houses. So obviously, calling Bush "Shrub" is merely a pun, a play on words if you will. However, a pun is certainly not either a smear or a character assassination. It happens all the time in politics.

If you want an example from the other side, look at former Democratic presidential hopeful Dukakis (pronounced duh-cock-is). I seem to remember a few puns regarding his name that were far more colorful than "Shrub". Of course, you may be too young to remember this - I think he ran in 1988. In fact, I feel it is fortunate that Bush is only referred to as "Shrub" as there is another slang definition of "bush" that is far more defamatory than shrub and more along the lines of what Dukakis endured.

It is my personal feeling though that none of the items mentioned will have any impact on the election whatsoever. People have notoiously short attention spans and even shorter memories, and it is unlikely that they are going to remember some television ad that was released over two months prior to the election. Same thing with Fahrenheit 911. The biggest mistake Moore made was releasing the film in June. He already had the problem of overcoming the fact that his film was extremely one-sided, and most republicans weren't going to go see it anyway. Then you have to further hope that people actually remember what they saw four or five months later, which is assuming quite a lot. Basically, it's only late August. If this came out in late October, it would have a far greater impact.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    First of all, my mother (and I'm assuming everyone else's mother) always taught me that two wrongs don't make a right. Making fun of Bush's name because of what happened to Dukakis in 1988 (by the way that was my first presidential election so I was around) is inappropriate.

Second of all didn't making fun of people's names go out of style sometime in elementary school?

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Ugh, I'm failing to make my point. No, I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. My point of bringing up stuff from 1988 was to show that making fun of people's names is nothing new. You asked why "shrub" wasn't a smear or character assassination, and I explained it was merely a pun. I thought that had answered your question. People do it because, even though it's childish, some people find it highly humorous.

You are certainly free to reject such reasoning, but I merely answered a question you had asked. If you were old enough to vote in 1988, then you certainly should be jaded on this stuff already. I know I am, and I wasn't old enough to vote in 1988 (although I was in high school, and thus old enough to remember the campaign).

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, you can believe that if you choose to, I guess. But most honest people definitely would sue. If it's all lies, they can't lose, and what could be better than a court victory against Moore?

Believe is the key word here, because anyone can believe whatever they want. However, getting down to facts, practically all of the SBV claims have proven to be outright lies or completely made up by now.

""They have obviously decided that some people will believe anything, no matter how fictional or how far-fetched, if they just repeat it often enough," Kerry said with a smile in response to the applause of his accusations."

Yep, we definitely noticed that around here too... From here.

Oh, I've seen plenty of those. All of them are done in a reverse-Moore style, which is very believable to those people who want to support Bush. Doesn't convince anyone else though.

Anyway, let's leave Moore out of this discussion, it's going off-topic here. You can open a new thread (or bring up any of many existing ones) if you want to discuss him further.

12. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Ya'll have to be from Texas, I guess, to know the "Shrub," or little Bush. Some of us referred to him that way while he was our "illustrious Gov." It's just a play on words.

More importantly it is a bestselling book by Molly Ivans, one of our "liberal journalists" who had a close up look at Shrub while he was in Austin. He has had the honor of being lampooned by Molly in a few of her other books as well.

http://books.politinfo.com/details/index-0375757147.html

What is interesting is that Kerry is being referred to as being "anti-war." Wow, what a dubious honor. The opposite is, of course, "pro-war." Now, that's certainly something to be proud of. But that would be something Shrub would not know anything about. Still, he may have seen something of war on TV, or maybe he has read about it. That would go as well for Cheney and Rummy and all the rest of the "good old boys" in Shrubland.

Of course, Colin Powell, the only "real warrior" among them, has been a moderating force in the "WAR MOVEMENT" that seems to have gripped some Americans lately. More war? just what we need. :rolleyes:

But we are expected to forgive Shrub for all his hellraising, alcohol ridden, drug induced, jailbird days. But Republicans have lots of excuses for those "bygone" days. They say, "that was then, but now is now." Yet, they can still harp on Kerry for being opposed to one of America's greatest military disasters in the early 1970s. Those are not such "bygone" days. Which is it guys? or does one only apply to republicans, whilst the other is only for Dems? Great double standard there. The word "hypocrisy" certainly does come to mind.

[ August 25, 2004, 06:28: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Tal, I would suggest taking a look at This spinsanity column. You may find it educational.

Note: spinsanity is the closest thing I've found to a non-partisan resource, and if anything, it has a liberal bias, as it's run by democrats.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Which part of "Moore's off-topic in this thread" you didn't understand? I didn't start this topic to discuss Moore, so please leave him out. He's big enough for his own thread (pun intended).

Btw, that article doesn't really disprove anything significant any better than Moore proves it, so it all comes down to what you're prepared to believe. I've had 4 years to get to know Bush and the decisions he makes as he rules USA (and gets most of the rest of the world to do his bidding), and I don't like it one bit. Some Americans do, however (I have yet to hear of a non-American who likes Bush). So, as usual, it all comes down to personal preference. If you really like Bush, there's not much anyone can say or do that will make you change your mind.

The point of this whole thread, however, is to show what Bush & Co. will resort to to smear Kerry's name. (And yes, I'm quite firmly convinced, as are the Democrats, that the Bush camp was either directly or indirectly involved. Believe otherwise if you choose to.)

Here's the latest on this: Unit's Report Supports Kerry's Version.

For example, some people will go to great lengths to convince others that no atrocities were committed in Vietnam by Americans. Maybe these people are so deluded that they actually believe it themselves, or so desperately want to believe it that the truth has been long since replaced with fantasy in their minds.

As we could see recently, there are still a great number of Americans who are convinced that the torture which occured in Abu Ghraib (and who knows how many other prisons) never happened, or that the soldiers were only playing "frat pranks" on the prisoners. Even though an overwhelming amount of evidence proves otherwise, pictures included. And what came of it all? A few soldiers were charged, and the whole thing was swept under the carpet. None of the people really responsible came anywhere near to being charged for it.

So how do you think Americans will remember this (if any do) in 30 years? Those people who want to believe in sainthood of the American army will still just as firmly believe "nothing happened in Abu Ghraib" 30 years later (and by then, also manage to convince many other people to believe the same). The rest will have forgotten, since the people responsible were never tried anyway. A small group of people, however, will remember the truth. But with such overwhelming odds, it'd be easy for Republicans to manipulate the public again. Just as they have now.

[ August 25, 2004, 21:17: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Tal,

Are you suggesting that Republicans have manipulated the majroity of the public to believe that no autrocities were committed by Americans in the Vietnam War? And then further speculate that the same thing will happen with Abu Greib in the years to come?

While I will not deny that there are many Americans who believe that (the part about Vietnam), it certainly isn't the majority, or even a large minority for that matter. Plus, don't forget that the Republicans would have no reason to rewrite the history of Vietnam. After all, it was the Democrats that sent the vast majority of troops over there (first Kennedy and then Johnson) and a Republican who ultimately brought them back home (Nixon).

Similarly, I do not see people "selectively fogetting" what happened in Abu Greib either. Again, I cannot deny that there are a small percentage of people who believe those soldiers did not do anything. They believe that now, and will likely continue to believe that until the day they die. However, the vast majority of people believe what their eyes see, and those pictures were posted everywhere. Plus, with the media even more wide-spread today than it was 30 years ago, billions of more people saw those images than would have if it occurred during the Vietnam Era.

You have every right to be very skeptical of any of the actions taken by the current American administration, just as many Americans are. I will even go so far as saying it is fair to compare Vietnam atrocities to Abu Greib, but it is your conclusions that I would contest. I believe quite the opposite (and I'm speaking of Americans here, I don't know what public opinion is in Europe about this). I believe if a poll was conducted today, you would get at a minimum 90% of the respondants saying that they believe Americans committed atrocities in Vietnam (especially at the one village - I can't remember the name - Mai Tai or something like that?) and that American soldiers humiliated, tortured, embarrassed, sodomized etc. Iraqi prisoners in Abu Greib.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    IMO, the Republicans are attempting to counter Kerry's pretty good war record with the current "smear" ads. Since Shrub has no war record to run on, this is the best he can do. It is really the veterans - typically a Republican bunch - that is being targeted. They vote, and count for a lot in swing states such as Ohio.

I think more to Tal's point is that the ads are working on its targeted block of voters. That group also believes that the average G.I. got a raw deal on the Vietnam War issue. The Republicans are playing on that belief and having some success, despite the fact that Shrub chickened out of Nam. They will exploit any issue in their quest for absolute power.

17. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What amazes me so much is the fact that the US claims: Abu Graib? The actions of a few who have fallen from the greatness that is the United States of A.
    Sure.

There is torture in Iraq, torture in Guantanamo, torture in Afghanistan, suspects sent to other nations (Syria) to be tortured. There is torture in US prisons.

Our media reported that german special forces (KSK) released afghani prisioners who were suspected to have some kind of connection to terror organisations rather then turning them over to US authorities - for they knew what would happen.

Prisoners are transported around the globe in a fashion that is spared animals in civilized countries, to a place that shows just how corruptive power can be.

Still we hear that the USA and especially its armed forces are the best, the most nobel humankind has to offer. Bush who ought to be held accountable for this sickening disgrace is likely to be reelected.
    You have no idea how galling that is to a non-american.

That a considerable portion of the US citizens has so little need for reality makes Tal's claims quite real, in my most humble opinion. They seem to sort it out as a lapse and it will be nothing more than a sidenote, thereby failing to notice just where they stand and how others outside the US have come to regard them.

18. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

While Bush is a putz, Kerry is right up there with him. Maybe even a little 'putzier'

He went in lobbied for 3 purple hearts as quick as possible and got out.

All of his wounds were superficial and his first purple heart was for a piece of shrapnel about the size of a piece of rice in his arm. It was removed with tweezers and bleeding was pretty much nonexistent.

He went into Vietnam with one goal in mind: to build a political career based on his hero JFK. He didn't even think he would see action by choosing the Swift Boat route so he thought it would be a good move. A decision by command put the boats into use much to Kerry's dismay.

I respect his service to our country but no more than i would any other soldier, maybe even a bit less considering his political motives.

He is a rich, privaledged, spineless man who takes no stand on anything and has done nothing as a senator or politician in general.

Sound like anyone?....At least Bush isn't spineless and has a set of balls on him, stubborn as they may be.

We need (as much as i'm afraid to say it) another Clinton, or even Reagan would be better.

What's the good of having France like us when people like Kerry start taking 50% of my paycheck to help some lazy-ass ghetto trash on welfare keep smoking crack and popping out babies? I would like to consider myself liberal but how can I when they would just tax and spend America to death?

I think Libertarian may be the way to go.

19. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, ugh, no... my comment was in context of the latest happenings around Kerry. Some of the vets have recently started accusing him that he made up his entire testimony about some of the atrocities commited in Vietnam, which he gave a few decades ago. I remember seeing a quote by one of the vets "John, why did you say that, you know that never happened", or something along those lines. Very similar to what we could witness here from some of the people who refuse(d) to believe the Abu Ghraib torture really happened. And the consequences there were much less dire than anything that happened in Vietnam.

I took Abu Ghraib just as a recent example of how history repeats itself. There's also Guantanamo and a bunch of other similar things happening in the name of security of the US, but it wasn't my intention to start a discussion on that.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Dendri - First the part I agree with you on - that I spelled Abu Graib incorrectly - I spelled it "Greib" for some reason.

Unfortunately, I also have a bone to pick with you. In your opinion, the average American has "little need for reality". I find that insulting. How many American citizens do you know? I mean, I'm sure there's a few tourists over in Koln, but I can't imagine you personally know that many. I freely admit that the administration is terrible, and has done things I'm not proud of, but when you pull out the broad brush and make comments like that, you're going to tick a whole lot of people off.

@Tal - Sorry. I didn't understand the context you were placing your comments in. It makes perfect sense to me now. As you probably gathered, the way I interpreted required a great leap of logic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.