1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Two Towers Win Two Oscars!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mathetais, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

If the girl didn't want it, it was rape AND sex with an underaged woman. There you go.

And yes, all those rapists are lowest filth to me as well.

:/

And LOTR should have gotten more Oscars. Idiots. Idiots. Stupid Academy Idiots.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Actually, sex with a minor in some countries like the UK *IS* rape. There is no exception - by definition, sex with a girl under 16 is "statutory rape".

It will rarely be prosecuted if consentual and particularly if the two participants are of a similar age, but there it is. Most common cases of prosecution are when the defendant is in some sort of responsible relationship with the underage girl, like teacher etc.

Not sure how law views sex with an underage boy in terms of rape though.

Still, on topic :) TTT could perhaps have got more than the two it did get, but best film would have been stretching things a little.

Already looking forward to part III myself. :)

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I agree with Eze. What else needs to be said?

On both counts, that is.

(The blue-haired freak from the cold north)

4. Iago Gems: 24/31

Oops, sorry, my fault. That's anglo-saxon law then. In continental law, there are special laws concerning sex with minors. Which actually are all the same like the ones you stated.

Except that "rape" under this circumstances per definition is impossible in continental law terms. Roughly translated it would be "defilment". Only dogmatic difference, no difference in Jail time.

But my point still is: If he actually did this, he would have been prosecuted in europe too. French authorities would have been obliged to prosecute him, if there was evidence, that i really did it.
    He wasn't prosecuted. So, in my view, the charges are bogus.

[ March 26, 2003, 18:54: Message edited by: Yago ]

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] "Lord of the Rings TTT would never have won best picture. BUT:

If the return of the king isn't going to win best picture and best directing something is seriously wrong with the acadamy."

It isn't going to get Best Picture, so don't get your hopes up. It's not even out yet for crying out loud.

Be glad TTT got the Visual Effects award. I feel while TTT had great effects, AOTC has more and are better. But SW has had its share of Oscars in the past (especially with the original) and so it's time to share the wealth. Likewise, don't expect Return of the King to get much of anything. Yes these are all seperate films, but they are lumped together as a franchise. A franchise doesn't need to get the same awards for what is esentially a continuation of the original or first of the franchise.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Imagine that ... Big B prefers Star Wars to the LOTR :tie:

:lol: not that he's biased ;) j/k

7. Big B Gems: 27/31

Hey now, I enjoy LOTR, just not as much as SW. Seriously, the speeder chase on Coruscant, the rumble in the rain between Obi-Wan and Jango, the Asteroid Belt dogfight, the Battle of Geonosis (not to mention the droid factory), and the end lightsaber duel took the cake for visual effects . CG-characters? Been there, done that. But yeah AOTC has Yoda, Jar Jar, Watto, Dexter, and the Kaminoans and Geonosians and the Clones (who are indistinguishable from the extras dressed as stormtroopers). Shoot, at select times it's CG Obi-Wan and Dooku when the need arises to pull off what's onscreen.

And it looks great, especially when you see it on digital projection, since it was made on digital prints and not film. AOTC is far more innovative in terms of effects than anything that came out last year. But it's ok that it didn't get the award and was just nominated for it, as I said SW has already been awarded best visual effects back in the 70's. This is just a continuation of innovation in special effects. It's a continuation of the legacy and I think the Academy acknowledges that without having to give SW the Visual Effects Award everytime a new SW movie is released.

:tie:

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I think what probably tipped the scale is Gollum - a CG character that can actually "act". Don't get me wrong I think the special effects in AOTC were good but they were very good computer simulations of bad acting.

9. Big B Gems: 27/31

Hmm, while I agree Gollum's acting was great (I mean who doesn't love the parts where he argues with himself?), the acting of CGI characters in AOTC is not as bad as you imply.

I think Yoda and Watto give Gollum a run for his money. Dex, Jar Jar, and the Kaminoan leaders, Taun We and Lama Su are not far behind either. As with the case of Jar Jar, just because you don't agree with or like a specific character, doesn't mean that character is badly acted. Time and again, I see people make this mistake.

10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Big B, one of the reasons I don't like Jar Jar is because he's poorly acted. And as far as I'm concerned, they screwed up Yoda's character as well. Maybe that wasn't so much bad acting as bad writing, but nevertheless, that must have helped the Academy to decide to go with TTT.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31

Jar Jar's role is that of the fool. Since most people consider him that, I'd say his acting is on the spot. The intended result is reached.

Yoda's character is not messed up. Let me tell you that Yoda is one of my top three favorite SW characters from the whole Saga (long before AOTC ever came out) and I would raise the roof if I thought in any way that Yoda's character was "messed up." He now has significant character growth between AOTC and ESB. When he tells Luke in ESB that wars not make one great, it's even better than it was originally. When he tells Luke that he should sacrifice his friends because he honors what they fight for, it is enhanced in that we see how Yoda learned this valuable lesson long ago. So I would totally disagree that Yoda's character has been ruined. Quite the opposite, his character has been greatly enhanced.

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I immediately expected that when I saw the movie for the first time recently. Hey, I thought, this Peter Jackson knows his stuff, better than Tolkien. His interpretation of the book is ... unpreceded ... I didn't really see a (=any) reason for the freely invented half of the movie (nor the falsified other half), like the elves at Horn's Deep :whoa: the continuous dwarf jokes :rolleyes: Legolas skateshielding :almostmad: Aragon's near death experience :mad: and the re-interpretion of the ent's fight ... to name a few ... points. For me one thing is clear, :flaming: the film sucked :flaming:

But eventually the film was nice and colorfull, yes, and the sound was nice and loud too. Cool :p

13. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, Big B., I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one -- I loved Yoda in the first trilogy, and I hate what's happening to him (character-wise) in the second. 'Nuff said on that topic!

TTT was fun, but I was still sad when they made so many unnecessary changes and additions. Even taking it on its own, well, I still don't think it merits the best picture award.

Did FOTR get best pic last year? I think it did. I also think it deserved it, even if it didn't get it.

14. Eze Gems: 24/31

It did not. The utterly idiotic movie called 'A Beautiful Mind' won it.

*trots off to gag*

And TTT didn't suck. Only romance parts did.

And it is Helm's Deep, not Horn's Deep.

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I made a resolution long before the movies came out: The books are "bookverse" and the movies are "Movieverse". In oher words, the same story but a different story. Does this make any sense?

Having read fan fiction for years has helped a lot to make this distinction... having learned the concept of "Alternate Universe" has made it easy to accept the movies simply as a different version of the story.

It is like many old legends and folktales that have many versions, I think.

/end rant mode

(*runs off with the elves*)

[ March 28, 2003, 21:47: Message edited by: Arabwel ]

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    The only real reason to watch the Oscars is the clothes! :roll:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.