1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Wheel of Time *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Rotku, May 20, 2003.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

IMO, the biggest criticism of the series stems from the fact that later books suffer in comparison to earlier ones; like others talk about above. That said, imo, even the later books are pretty okay when you are able to divorce yourself from any disappointment from a failure to live up to expectations.

I'd recommend reading them because, let's face it, there is a finite amount of fantasy worth reading. Yes, yes, you can list good books that will go for pages. But, as far as accessible, good fanatasy books go, there really isn't that much out there when you have been at it for a few years. It's kinda like -- seeing a spectacular movie, waiting for the sequel, and while it was good it wasn't the original. Like a lot of people view the Matrix. Compared to an original it suffers but compared to many other sci-fi flicks it is still very good.

The books are certainly better than 90% of the schlock filling fantasy shelves imo. So, I wouldn't recommend them above many other fantasy books but I could recommend them as 'good' books to read eventually. No need to rush though.

2. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've just finished the first one. It' one of the best books I've read in a long time. I can't wait to read the one's everyone (well nearly everyone) says is to dragged out. I'm starting the second one tonight :thumb:

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You know, I'm going to state an opinion here that will raise a few hackles, but here it goes: The worst Jordan book is still an order of magnitude better than any FR book. Come to think of it, as far as I'm concerned, the worst Jordan book is better than the best Goodkind book -- and I like Goodkind's early stuff! But I like Jordan better. He is long winded and his quality drops each time he publishes a new book, but he's still pretty blasted good.

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Yeah, from what I've read of Jordan's books and FR books, I must say that Jordan's books are a lot better. I've never really taken to FR books. They just don't have... how can I put this? They just don't seem to have enough depth in them I guess.

5. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The majority of FR books are really bad but every now and then they have some really decent ones: Spellfire, Elminster The Making of a Mage, Song of the Saurials.

They almost redeem the series from being the complete washout it would otherwise be.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] This is off topic; if you want to discuss FR novels please open a new thread.

7. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I loved the first WoT books. I was reading them in 6th grade and couldn't wait for the next ones to come out. And I do feel that the character developement in the beginning is pretty good and although the main plot is def. your typical save-the-world fantasy, Jordan does it in a way that is pretty original.

HOWEVER, (and yes, there has to be a however here) I became more and more disappointed with the books. At the end of the 7th book one of the main characters gets a building toppled on him and throughout all of the 8th book (which I waited 2 years for) they don't even mention what happens to him! It's not until the 9th book that you find out and even then, it was fairly pathetic. And speaking of the 9th book -- that was also fairly pathetic. It just seemed that real happenings slowed down to nothingness but that was nothing on 10th, where absolutely NOTHING AT ALL was resolved. N-O-T-H-I-N-G! :mad: I was pretty . . . annoyed. All that happened was he decided to add still more pointless plot twists and he didn't resolve any of the older problems, just added more new ones.

Still, I recommend the beginning books at the very least -- the characters up through the 7th book are good and memorable. And I do intend to continue reading the later books with the pure hope that maybe Robert Jordan will realize that he's losing more fans with each book instead of Harry Potter's gaining more fans with each book. But a word to the wise, don't buy the later ones in hardcover, it's better off just to wait until they're in paperback.

8. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

bah silverwolf...you'll keep reading them because you know that, at the least, the last book is gonna kick ass.

And you don't want a bigass blank spot where Rand is struggling to gain control, Mat to survive, and Perrin to find his wife, and suddenly they're all leading the attack against The Dark One.

:D

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Lol that would suck Gaidin, i think all the books are good but that the first 7 are better by far than the last 3 and if the last book isnt kick ass(if it ever comes out) i will be very dissapointed in Robert Jordan.
    Also He doesnt use Callandor because he feels he can do anything with it but is afraid of its power, and also he knows that not everything can be done with it since he tried to bring that child back to life in the stone after the trolloc attack.

[ July 09, 2003, 05:37: Message edited by: LoS_DrIzZt4 ]

10. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

he doesnt even have callandor anymore....that one green sister's warder has it.

And the ones he's afraid of using are the Chodean 'Kal(sp?!).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.