1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The World We Live In...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Spare the rod, spoil the child. It's an age-old saying, and it's 100% true. These days it doesn't mean that you literally need to (severely) beat a child to teach them the important early lessons in life, but it does mean that prohibitions, spanking and instilling a sense of order and discipline need to be done right from the start. There's a wealth of old sayings about these situations & consequences, and they're simple truths that tend to be ignored these days (through faulty advice from psychologists whose theories on non-restrictive upbringing were unfortunately tested on millions of children by their parents), in most cases with disastrous results. I know a few people close to me who have had the "benefit" of this kind of non-restrictive upbringing. Every one of them grew up first into a spoiled brat who always overruled their parents in everything (because from the start they didn't set any limits to what the child could or couldn't do, or instill any sense of order and responsibility in the kid's subconsciousness), and later started either emotionally or physically blackmailing or terrorizing the "poor" parents, who, of course, by now were cowed and afraid of their own child, who could, and did, do anything and everything he or she pleased without fear of repercussions from anyone.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the worst favour anyone can do to their children is to let them "roam free" through their childhood and teens. The behaviour they learn as acceptable during the formative stages of their life is the behaviour they'll be carrying with them for their whole life. Free roaming without restrictions is a good idea – but only for animals. For any human being part of a larger society, or even just their own family, it turns into a nightmare for everyone around them.

But then again, I know a few parents who even after they started seeing that their children display undesired behavioural traits, didn't do anything about it, and kept pampering and excusing them throughout their whole life. So don't blame the kids - blame their parents. They were the ones who didn't do their job properly.

2. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

OK, we seem to disagree here. Let's take a look at some criminal statistics I pulled out of thin air:

Family background
    * Thirty-one percent of jail inmates had grown up with a parent or guardian who abused alcohol or drugs
    * About 12 percent had lived in a foster home or institution.
    * Forty-six percent had a family member who had been incarcerated.
    * More than 50% of the women in jail said they had been physically or sexually abused in the past, compared to more than 10% of the men.

I'm no expert in this field, but there seems to be a certain likelihood that a criminal career is linked to criminal/violent parents rather than to non-authoritarian parents. And it is crime we are discussing here, not bad language and bad manners, right? Social behaviour needs certain rules that are set predominantly by the parents, sure enough. But I have yet to see something convincing with regard to spanking being useful and effective in successfully raising a self-confident, healthy human being.

Maybe it is a country specific problem ;) - I have friends who had much freedom during their child and teenage years, none of them is a spoiled brat. What do you learn out of such an arbitrary narrative? Tststs.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    You have only mentioned two types of parents.

1. Criminal/violent
    2. non-authoritarian.

I personally take offense if you are implying that because I set rules and consequences that little snook must follow that means I'm a criminal/violent parent.

Spanking is an incredibly useful tool. It is also the most severe form of punishment and a child should recognize that. Routine spankings would defeat the purpose for the child would not recognize the serverity of what they did wrong.

You mention social behavior needs rules, well rules need consequences. Many parents are good at making rules and then not enforcing them. Just a couple of weeks ago some of the neighborhood kids asked little snook if he could come out and go bike riding with them. He had to tell them "No" because he was rude to his mother and was grounded. He was not a happy camper about it, but I'll tell you his behavior to his mother has been significantly improved since then.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Darkthrone, as Snook has pointed out, your statistics have nothing to do with what we're talking about. Unless your position is that spanking constitutes criminal behaviour, beating, drug and/or alcohol abuse, physical or sexual abuse, and I know not what other nonsense. Which, I have to say, is well beyond ridiculous.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    There's not a parent in the world who doesn't understand that they're going to be blamed for their children's behavior, don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. The other piece that escapes most people who aren't parents - including me, at the time! - is that almost all parents are always doing what they think is best for their children. Unfortunately, it takes 18+ years to find out if your best efforts were good enough or not.

Sympathies, Barmy. :(

6. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

No Snook, Taluntain, in fact it is the other way round. chevalier implied that the best way to prevent people from becoming criminal is a good spanking and strict rules. I focused on the spanking part, because there isn't much disagreement on the rules.

My position is that violence at home is never a solution to anything - and spanking is violence, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise. I believe there's a negative impact there - but it is nice of you to call such a position ridiculous. The statistics are in no way satisfying, of course, but it is more than you came up with. If you say that spanking doesn't lead to criminal behaviour (a thing I didn't try to insinuate, mind you), then how can you come up with a position of not enough spanking leading to criminal behaviour? Some facts on your part beside "what a ridiculous idea" would be in order, don't you think?

Snook, if you think of spanking as a useful tool, then I'm glad my position offends you. I do not want to have anything to do with your world. Cheers.

7. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I agree with Darkthorne. Spanking is violence (emotional and physical). I understand the difference between spanking and beating (my parents beat, frequently and sometimes savagely). Regardless, hitting someone is violence. If spanking is okay, then why can't a boss spank an employee who breaks the rules? How come it is only okay to perpetrate violence against children?

As a parent, I have found that it is possible to effectively discipline a child without violence (I have never hit my children). It takes creativity and discipline on the part of the parent. Spanking may be effective in the short term, but if non-violent alternatives are available, then why not use them?

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Spanking the child is no better than spanking your wife. The child needs to have rules and it should be made to follow those but spanking just is not the right method. In Finland spanking a child is illegal, and has been so for nearly twenty years. Of course supervising it is difficult but it's really the principle that matters. Our government does not accept family violence no matter how small it is.

So all you child beaters better make sure that you can keep your hands in control when you visit Finland, at least in public or there might be unwanted consequences. ;)

[ July 27, 2005, 02:55: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Spanking your wife is not necessarily a bad thing if done in the bedroom. :yum: ;)

I think spanking a child, however, is in bad taste. It simply perpetuates the idea that violence is okay, when it most definitely is not. I disagree with Darkthrone only in that it can be used as a tool, rather effectively in fact, but it is too much of a blunt object to be worth using. Precision consequences are much more effective.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    Violence which never left anyone worse off for wear, as opposed to pampering and non-restrictiveness, which I have yet to see anyone benefit from. You've got to be kidding, making a fuss of spanking and calling it violence. I've been spanked a good number of times (well, not that often, but on occasion) when I was a kid, and in retrospect, it did me a world of good. And no, I didn't turn out into a criminal either (who'd have thought, huh?).

But hey, if you're convinced otherwise, all the power to you. I guess I don't know how physically and emotionally scarred I've been by it. :shake:

I think I made it pretty clear that regular spanking is a far cry from any sort of real violence. Of course, if someone was to spank their children until they started bleeding, that'd be a whole different issue altogether, and you could call it violence. But regular spanking? Please.

I don't think there's a single kid that's grown up in my neighbourhood that wasn't spanked now and then, and none of them are any worse for wear. None of them are criminals now either, interestingly.

Certainly, spanking isn't an ideal solution, but few things in life work as intended without any side effects. The only real one that comes from spanking is a bit of temporary pain and discomfort (from what I remember). Considering the alternative which I've seen come from non-restrictive upbringing, it's way, way less harmful in the long run. But, of course, it all depends on your perspective. If you grow up as a kid who was never disciplined or set any boundaries, I'm sure you can't recognize anything being wrong with that.

[ July 27, 2005, 01:14: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Taluntain:
    You seem to be ignoring the happy medium (or at least not mentioning it). Just because you don't spank doesn't mean you don't discipline. I was never spanked, except for once when I called my mom a b*tch (having just learned the word but not what it meant :o ), and I grew up just fine. My parents had plenty of ways to punish me for being bad without having to resort to physical punishment. IMHO, spanking (like gambling) is the last resort of the desperate.

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, unfortunately most parents that I know who have never spanked their children never had the will to restrict or discipline their child in any other way than with mild warnings and threats, which were, of course, never realized. Which consequently meant that kids soon learned that the threats were empty, and merrily started ignoring them.

Sure, it's technically possible to be able to effectively discipline a child without ever spanking them - heck, you need to learn to once they grow too big for that anyway. But with smaller children, in the wide majority of cases, words achieve nothing, whereas a spanking communicates the message that something they did was VERY wrong very clearly and directly. By the time children are too old for spanking, I'm convinced that they will either already have a proper sense of responsibility, duty and obedience (or at least the foundation for this), or be without it for the rest of their life. And in most cases where parents consider their child to be something as fragile and untouchable as ancient china, this is exactly what happens. I'm not advocating any sort of regular spanking or anything, but I firmly believe that for the most severe offences a child makes, it is a sensible and effective punishment.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The whole problem with this spanking debate is that it ignores so many of the other factors that go into a child’s development. You can’t just say “spanking works because I turned out alright” because you might have also received lots of positive parental attention as well, in the same way you can’t say “sparing the rod spoils the child” because that unspanked kid might have had no other discipline in their life.

My personal opinion, now that I have been both a child and a parent, is that spanking is NOT necessary, but it requires great discipline on that part of the parent to follow through on the application of other forms of discipline. The greatest thing that my son craves is parental attention. The best way for me to make him do what I want is to give him attention when he is good and to withhold attention when he is bad. One minute in his play pen (with no toys) after being naughty, with no interaction from his parents, is more than enough to convince him to desist what he was doing before, especially if it is followed up with lots of positive attention when he comes out and plays nicely. I tried spanking a few times and he just giggles at it. Also, I know of other parents who spank their kids and they now have six year olds who think nothing of whacking the parents back.

I’m not going to go so far as to say the spanking is evil, but it’s not going to be the discipline of choice in this household.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Are you classifying things such as time-outs and groudings as "words," or just ignoring them completely?

Those punishments tend to get the message across very well. Kids aren't happy when they're told, "No, you can't go play with Tommy because you called your mother a bitch. You have to stay in your room for x hours, with no TV, radio, etc." and will, *gasp*, actually make an effort to avoid that sort of punishment.

As for spanking being violence...of course it is. You are, after all, hitting your child. However, it is very mild violence, certainly nothing like, oh, smacking little Timmy with a wooden chair. It's completely acceptable violence when done right, but it's silly to claim it's not violence. After all, there's nothing inherently wrong with violence; it's a tool like any other. If properly applied, violence can work wonders. When misused, it can be counter-productive. It's hardly unique in that.

15. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31

Harbourboy, as usual, brings up the correct points. Spanking delivers desired results when it comes to obedience and following rules, no doubt. However, it is an easy way out and makes allowance rather for the needs and desires of parents than for those of the children. In light of this, it is not correct to say "it is in the best interest of the child". "It is in the best interest of the parents" is more to the point. This in itself is not condemnable, but don't act like it makes you a saint and other parents irresponsible.

Now, if spanking was the only possibility of obtaining desired behaviour on behalf of the children, well, then we would have to deal with such a fact. There are, however, other possibilites which lead to the same results, but additionally meet the concerns of the children as well as those of the parents. These possibilites can be more exhausting and demanding for the parents, of course. Spanking is easy. Effectuating win-win situations is strenuous.

Taluntain, I am not kidding - I thought I made that clear, so why are you still trying to belittle my position? I certainly never said that spanking can be linked directly to criminal activities; I said that violence leads to violence, and if taken to the extreme, a criminal, violent environment will aid and abet criminal and violent behaviour. Criminal and violent behaviour is the starting point of this debate, remember?

Whether or not spanking is violence may be debatable, but hey, then please let's debate it. Instead, you say

To which I reply: no, you didn't make it pretty clear. You made it pretty clear that you personally make a difference between spanking and "real" violence. Without further clarification or definition of what real violence is. How shall we debate this position?

But you don't seem to be interested in such a debate anyway. You wrote:

Wow, we all know that I'm wrong, but because I was deprived of the blessings of spanking my judgement has been tainted; is that what you're claiming? If you really believe this issue depends on perspective - well, where do you see an issue then? But as soon as some hard claims come in - such as "spanking decreases crime rates" - it is no personal opinion anymore but rather a measurable thing. So, again I ask where the proof for that claim is.

If there is neither a proof for nor against such a hypothesis, then it really seems to be a thing of perspective. In this case I can't understand why anyone thinks it is ridiculous to spare a child pain and humiliation.

A last thing that did catch my eye:

First of all, duty, responsibility and obedience are not of the same value. I personally value responsibility but find obedience rather needless and void of real meaning. A thinking, empathic human being tends to behave correctly because of his world view and self-conception, not because of reflexive but unreflected submissiveness. This is my leveling rule for my own child. I don't care for obedience. Obedience sucks.

Duty I never fully understood, so please provide me with some meaning of this term. What is the difference between duty and responsibility? I really want to know. Again: I'm not kidding.

Secondly, you said "this is exactly what happens". I'm sure you can provide some substance for this tautology?

Lastly, the "be without it for the rest of their life" part. This ignores the fact that today we think that learning, even on an emotional, unreflected level, does never stop for any human being. There simply is not one single phase in which the character of a human being is coined. People do change all the time, some ever so slightly, some never, but some even to a large extend. Childhood is predominant in this regard, but simply refusing to acknowledge any further impact on the personality after this period is plain wrong.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, of course... I didn't intend to start a debate on the merits of spanking. :shake: This has all gone way beyond the original topic (through some fault of mine as well, mea culpa). Definitely there are dozens of other important factors in a child's upbringing, but that's a bit beyond this discussion.

We're talking about smaller kids here, you don't go spanking teens. Keeping a smaller child at home is not always an effective punishment, especially if the child doesn't have any friends near to play with to begin with.

I might as well ask you why you were trying to criminalize everyone who doesn't think that spanking is in the same league as beating or any kind of real abuse. You never said it directly, but the way you put your points together, it read exactly as if you had. Why throw in statistics about criminals, unless you're trying to prove in general that spanking leads to people becoming criminals? We were talking about spanking only, not any other kind of real violence. You won't get any argument from me that children who were being beaten or abused in any way are more likely to have issues when they grow up. But you didn't talk vaguely about violence in general, but quite specifically mentioned spanking in your posts.

You started with the comparisons and statistics which have nothing to do with spanking in particular (in response to the issue of spanking). Might as well drop them now; I think we've established that they are not relevant to the discussion on spanking.

I don't consider spanking to be real violence, but I consider any other kind of hitting (slapping, beating, kicking, whatever) a child to be violence. I thought that was obvious from my posts, but guess not. Or did you assume that because I don't consider spanking to be real violence, that I approve of beating, kicking, slapping, or who knows what else? Come on.

AMaster pretty much wrote what I think. Obviously it is violence if you go by the dictionary definition of the word. So are about a million other things you could some up with, which no one really thinks of as violence, but would meet the dictionary definition of it. I just feel that talking about spanking as violence helps people who are against spanking to make their case way too easily. After all, accusing someone who has ever spanked their children of being violent is an easy hit below the belt. It automatically elevates the other other party to the "I'm better than you are, I don't violently hurt my children" pedestal. Which, considering we're talking about an occasional spanking here, is really unfair.

Only in the same manner as several people in this thread (you included) have claimed that spanking is pretty much the root of all evil. Works both ways, you see. I don't really see an issue, as it's obvious that everyone will raise their children as they see fit, and I have no illusions that I'm going to convince you that spanking can be beneficial now and then, exactly as you're not going to convince me that spanking is such a violent and harmful method that it should never be used. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Where'd you pull that from? I've certainly never said such a thing.

It all stems from the same root, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't put much emphasis on any one thing, because I was speaking generally about it as a collection of desirable traits. It doesn't mean that any of them are emphasized above the others; simply pieces of a mosaic which makes up a personality. When I mentioned obedience I primarily had in mind children obeying their parents, which is obviously something every sensible parent wants. Obedience and duty can all come from responsibility, so it's all linked.

As I've explained before, I've seen it happen with my own eyes in several cases. Unless you're trying to say that empiric evidence doesn't satisfy you? Unfortunately, the "spoiled, irresponsible, unrespectful, arrogant etc." are not characteristics easily measurable in any other way than through personal experience.

The formative stages during a person's childhood and teens are the most important ones, and if you can find a psychologist who claims otherwise, please let me know. I've never said that people don't change and learn after this period, but considering that what we're discussing here are the basic, predominant personality traits, they'll only very rarely change and only under extreme circumstances. All the arrogant people I know have been arrogant for years, and are not likely to switch to humility anytime soon, or from being generally disrespectful to suddenly becoming respectful, or from being spoiled to suddenly becoming un-spoiled, and the list goes on.

Sure, the theoretical possibility for major personality shifts is there, but that's about it. I have yet to see one come about.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Sure. However, preventing a smaller child from doing anything enjoyable is an effective punishment; that's where stuff like "sit in the corner for ten minutes" comes in.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    With no disrepect to AMaster.

Anyone who thinks that making a child sit in a corner for ten minutes is an effective punishment is delusional. Most kids don't have an attention span that exceeds ten minutes. While they are in the corner they may be miserable, but it is far more likely they are making you miserable, by constantly asking if they can come out now. Thirty seconds after they are allowed out of the corner they have forgotten about it and why they were sent there. Scolding a cat may be more effective then a timeout.

19. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I disagree Snook, at different points in a child’s development, this is a very effective tool, especially for circumstances where the child has gotten out of control and really needs time to regain their composure. I have spanked my child when they are in such a state, and it tends to only aggravate the situation. 1 minute for every year of age in a corner is effective in giving them time to calm and to think about what they were doing. A stern conversation at that point can remedy many behavior problems, especially if the enforcement remains consistent.

I am not saying that time outs are superior to spankings, just as I would not say that a hammer is superior to a screwdriver (analogy, obviously hammers and screwdrivers are not tools for disciplining children). They are all tools, and they should be used to their best advantage for the given need.

20. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    True, but hopefully you wouldn't throw out your hammer because of a feel good psychiatrist telling you that a screwdriver is the only tool you need.

Don't get me wrong, in Little Snooks life (and he is 9) he has probably only been spanked 5 or 6 times and they were for very serious offenses (running away from his mother in a crowded mall, running into the street, etc.) He all in all is a very good kid. The most effective punishments against him are taking away things (tv, computer, comic books, etc.) A time-out has never done anything positive for him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.