1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

This just in... (RoTK)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hacken Slash, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

@Mystra:
    Interesting note on the scene you mentioned...Aragorn (Viggo) was supposed to have shouted as he kicked the helm. In real life he broke his toes kicking the helm on the take that was left in the movie. If he seemed somehow self-absorbed, I guess that's why. They actually had to change the shoot schedule due to his broken foot for several weeks. Anyway, I still stand by my earlier statements. My good friend, Frodo, currently living in a nursing home in Eriador, has offered to provide his insights, but I think that's too much to ask of an aging Hobbit, don't ya think.

Also, Viggo Mortensen became so attached to the horse that he shot so many takes with, that he eventually bought it. When PJ called some of the principles back to NZ for additional takes, he had to not only bring back Viggo, but his horse as well :)

Edit: Sorry, it was Morningstar who made the comments. All you maurauders of justice seem the same to me!

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No Battle of Bywater????

What's the world coming to?
    However, 3 and a half hours will still be good...

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Damn,,, I think the Scouring of the Shire is one of my absolute favourite parts in LotR, if not THE favourite...

Me, I can live with the movies. I might not like them, but I can live with them. (The fact that my memory of the boojks was... haphazard... when I first saw them also helps...) But I have gotten used to what I call "'verse-ing" from my many years in the fanfiction world.

There are the books. aka Bookverse

Then there are the movies. aka Movieverse.

I see the movies as a sort of elaborate, large-scale, officially sanctioned fan work. can't really explain it, but that's my opinion anyway.

And hey, it's getting crowded in New Zealand! I am planning to move there as well..... Invasion ogf the LotR freaks!

And concerning Aragorn's horse... reminds me of the wheelchair of Xavier from X-men... because they had sold that thing to a lawyer after the movie, they had to RENT it back for the sequel :D

Hmm... I wonder if Tal would kill me if I quoted Sir Ian concerning Gandalf's possible love interests in the movies?

4. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The north?! America is such a sorry place to live in, especially now. Hey guys, save me an acre in NZ. It's so beautiful, practically untouched, and nicely off in a forgotten corner of the world.... Ahhh, that would be bliss.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm ... without the Scouring of the Shire how will Surouman (sp?) and Wormtongue get their final reward? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] It would explain why Sam didn't get his box of dirt and the malorn seed from Galadriel...If this is true, I'll be a little bummed out. The whole point of the journey was for the Hobbits to grow to be able to take care of the business at home. Oh well, I guess I can wait until the movie comes out before I bi#ch about it.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Argh, I sense I'm doomed to spend an other 10 hours with Faragon in a dark room.

Nnnnoo Morgoth! This is *not* what you're thinking!

8. Arabwel

Media:
    Quite possiblty... I might get my insane LARP friends together and do just that :D We couldn't fo irt for Revolutions, but I am *quite* sure we might even squeeze a game on Dec 16th... :p

9. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

One more thought ... Frodo looked into Galadriel's mirror, I could have sworn he looked forward to the burning of the Shire. Seems they've already filmed part of it at least.

Bah! That's just my way of saying I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :cool:

10. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Enough speculation about RotK....The thing to keep in mind is:

Matrix Revolutions comes out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!WeeeHa! :lol: :grin: :spin: :roll: :rolling:

11. Arabwel

Media:
    Me neither... me neither...

The part with Saruman and Grima is something I wish to see... for I find both quite to my liking.

12. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I was thinking the same as Math, i'm sure I saw the shire lit like a city-sized candle in FotR, so they must have had it filmed and sorted to a minimal amount by that time, and if they don't include it, thats some serious suckage, since its fairly vital to the plot.

13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It never stops amazing me that people still compare books to movies. Hasn't history proved that you can't make the exact same movie as was the book. I don't understand why people still ***** about IMHO one of the best movies (read movies not books) ever made. Try to look at the movie or any movie from that perspective with an open mind.

Is it so hard not to think about the book when you go see a movie?!.

I personally pity you people very much, here you are at this time, having the chance to see a movie you have always wanted to see and you hate it or can't enjoy because the director decided to skip or alter some parts. The movie is not made by J.R.R. Tolkien you know.

The point that I am trying to make here is that I and many many more will be enjoying the last part of the movie while you sad people are still whining about the plot of the movie.

"Oh no look at that....Gandalfs beard is two inches longer than should be, I hate this movie, I can't believe they did that"

LOTR whiners

"Wow did you see that battle in Return of the King, that must have been the best siege anyone has ever created in cinema history"

LOTR fans

My 2 cents.

14. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

And it never stops to amaze me that noone reads the entire posts
    ;)
    From my previous post
    But it a whole different issue to cut the story down in order to make it movie compatible and a whole than to cut the story in order to bring your perspective into this. Jackson said he would follow the book as much as possible. Well he did made some changes and added some scenes that do not belong there. To mention one in TTT at one point Aragorn is dreaming of Arwen and we have almost a fantasy virtual fun and sex scene, which BTW was never in the book. Or Faramir was seduced by the ring and capture Fronto and Sam to Osgiliath while, what a suprise, this never happened. Or should we mention the fight within Orthank which again never happened because Tolkien might wanted to show that Saruman was a deceiver never a fighter.
    I could go on but i want to point out, that i have seen movies come from a book and i liked them. For this trilogy i had higher expectations. And i was dissapointed. And the reason i am whinning about is crucial the book had an order in the events, because the writer (Tolkien) wanted to point out the various perspectives of the characters and by altering the sequence and the events you change the whole interpetation leading to wrong outcome. Maybe to someone who haven't read the book this may look a fantastic movie but if he ever reads the book afterwards he will chang his mind in a second and i will wage on that. It is just another attempt nothing more, not a masterpiece, not a work of art, not the best fantasy movie (personally i think Dungeons & Dragons ,IIRC the title, was better because at least that movie was not based on any book and the outcome was cool).
    When you say you will make a movie based on a book it is guaranteed that the outcome will be not so good. But this is too much. And remember that i will be one of the people who will surely go to see the third part because i always support these efforts.

15. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] I kinda like the way PJ said it in an interview when FotR came out...When asked about the changes in translation from the books to the movies, PJ said something like: We already know about the events in the book, but some of the changed shots in the movie are things that could have happened, but Tolkien just didn't write about it...

16. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Yeah, what Apeman said. I think that he has the correct attitude to approach these films. I had posted this link earlier, and I don't know if anyone has looked at it, or if you've all already seen it, but I think it is a perfect jab at the "purists". I assume that no-one has noticed the link since it hasn't been mentioned.

Can anyone really be sure that a "Galaxy far, far away" isn't really Middle Earth?

Also, I remember the scene referred to when Frodo looks into the mirror. The decision to leave out the scouring of the Shire was actually made about a year ago, but I'm sure that when PJ was filming those sequences he may have been trying to leave the door open for inclusion. If it was included, those scenes could have been foreshadowed of what Frodo, Sam et al would find upon returning home. If not, it could serve as some sort of imagery of a world dominated by a restored Sauron.

From my standpoint, I hope that ROTK wins best picture, PJ and the cast and crew deserve it for this monumental task...unfortunately to end a movie with the Shire may please fans but will turn off critics and casual viewers. It needs a "Hollywood" ending in order to obtain the lauding it well deserves.

From what I understand, both Saruman and Grima are dealt with very early in ROTK, but we'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, Matrix Revolutions is getting pretty bad reviews...I'm so burned out on it that I'll probably catch it on video.

EDIT: I just realized that we may be giving away spoilers to people who haven't read the books :eek: . Maybe we should be a little more careful and post spoiler alerts. What newbie wants to go to the movie if they already know that everyone dies and Sauron is finally defeated in a knock-down-drag-out fight with Harry Potter :)

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Oh well, I'm glad I enjoyed the two first movies a whole big deal. LoTR seems to be the greatest trilogy I've ever seen. And that's a lot, considering how much I liked the Starwars, Indiana Jones's, and am about to like Matrix.

The second movie seemed to be missing something the first time I saw it, but by the third time through I was able to see through the mistakes and enjoy of the new things brought in there. No matter what anyone says, the story is still exactly the same as in the books. It's only told a bit differently. The only thing I where I have a tendency towards elitism is the three most important roleplaying games of my life. Chrono Trigger, Fallout 2 and Final Fantasy VII.

I can't wait till this one comes out. And if we're lucky, the extended version of it can actually get closer to 5 hours than 4. That would make it well over 10 hours of complete bliss when I then decide to watch those three movies in my home theater system with a few freaky friends.

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Ape ... take a big step back ... now a deep cleansing breath ... exhale .... gooood! :)

My posts (as I said) were simply my way of saying "I can't wait" for the film to go out. Yes, I'm wondering how Wormtongue and Surumon get their final payback. Yes, I'm wondering if the scene from the mirror will happen or not. Is this whining? NO! Its saying to the calendar "Move to December quickly so I can see the movie." Until then I have a little time (and think I am allowed) for a few idle thoughts.

Did you see any Anti-Peter-Jackson material in the above posts (at least in mine?). Nope. Just a few questions and a longing to see what I know will be a great movie.

So :p ;) :spin:

EDIT ... anytime APE :thumb: Remeber, the kid in the D&D movie was Jimmy Olson in "The Adventures of Lois and Clark". Anyone who got to work up and personal with Terry Hatcher can't be all bad!

[ November 04, 2003, 20:23: Message edited by: Mathetais ]

19. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

If I would have done that my opening point would have been some childesh jest. I would have flamed you to death while I would have made a fool out of myself.

The point I made is that you can't seem to enjoy or appreciate the movie because it was altered from the book, yet you seem to realize that a movie can't be the same as a book. That in my opinion is a bit weird, because if you would see the movie with an open mind (which was my point and maybe the flamable argument), you would have seen it as a great movie.

All I wanted to say is that if everyone would go to the movie and perhaps not see it as Lord of the Rings--the book but like Lord of the Rings--the movie. Two entirely different things all together, maybe just maybe everyone can enjoy it to it's fullest.

Anyway I think I've made my point in the previous post. Still pitying :)

Comments like this I really can't take serious.

What was it you liked about this movie (wait let me rephrase that: saturday morning kiddies hour cartoon fiasco)
    Were it the great costumes?
    Were it the great actors?
    Was it the fact that they controlled thousends of dragons through some scepter?
    Was it the fact that there were two scepters?

Comment like that only tell me that I was right and shouldn't even care what you think. But hey what's the point of posting if there can't be a lively discussion eh?

EDIT

*exhales deeply and feels better* thanks math :thumb:

20. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

For those wondering about the Scouring of the Shire, Galadriels mirror is the last you'll see about it. From various things, I think that Frodo will stop the scouring before it starts.

Also, I know I'm a whiner, but I own both DVDs. I love the movie. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Jeez Apeman. Way to reality check. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.