1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

This just in... (RoTK)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Hacken Slash, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Thanks Mystra, I agree that we should all appreciate the art that has been inherent in making these films. There may be points or issues that purists can raise, but the fact remains that I, along with designated representatives of JRR's estate, am pleased with the outcome to date. Just look at what Lucas has done to the Star Wars saga and you realize that fantastic budgets alone mean nothing.

I haunt several other sites besides SP :eek: , and have heard the debates by Tolkien geeks far more extreme than here, these folk know everything!!!! and the argument is basically over before it started...as much as you miss your particular favorite scene, there is no denying that PJ and company have created art from a literary work that is very difficult at best to visualize.

For example, Stephen King is a very successfull novelist...how many movies based on his books have been worth the celluloid printed on? (with the exception of "Cujo", we all love rabid dogs :p )

Lay off these movies and try to enjoy them for what they are, a brilliant interpretation of a work of literary genius, that honors and expresses all at the same time. I'd hate to think how any of you would be responding if the "Matrix" movies had been a book first.

2. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree, I admit I was upset by the changes, not only of content but of tone- the whole archaic and epic feel seems to have dissapeared, the world and it's mythology were not interacting the way they did in the book- but I still think it's one of the greatest movies in recent times, because very few movies even attempt this genre, let alone well.

I love these movies, they feel so much bigger than anything else out of hollywood recently that I could do little else but love them.

3. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

From a book-fan perspective, some of the changes initially ****ted me no end, until I took the time to realise that of course some things just can't be shown in films the same as in books and for the sake of 'brevity' some thing smust be cut or altered, but hey, who wouldn't sit for 11-plus hours in the cinema for this experience??

I was actually told yesterday by a guy at our local cinema that they've been told RotK clocks in at about 3 hours 45 or more!

And on the Matrix movies, I'm going to see all 3 tonight at the cinema! Matrix marathon! Should be good, even though I've not been totally caught up in it like a lot of people. Actually, the mother of a friend of mine once said that if you can understand and follow the story of the original film in the first sitting, then you must have mental problems!

Women... ;)

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Uh-Oh, I know from experience that if ever Manus and I agree...trouble follows...better rethink my entire stand on the movies :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.