1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thread of Random Babbling, iteration 111

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Sickness. Started vomiting last night, ended this morning, and I just finally kept some food and water down. Missed more class, and I will probably have to end up dropping one. Yay life.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Job party this Friday. I hope I get the other half of what I needed soon because otherwise it's going to be a long evening...

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    /me points and laughs

Glad to see that good ol' Gateway hasn't changed a bit! :shake:
    You're both slackers.... :p
    Me fail English? That's unpossible! :lol:

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    A little late in all the english grammar and stuff :

Can someone please tell me how it was decided what sound "ow" makes?

Bow, low, mow, row, sow, tow.

vs

Cow, how, now, pow, vow, wow.

And if you take "now" and add a "k" in front of it, it makes "know". Why the hell does a letter change the pronounciation??

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Words that sound alike are my biggest spelling problem, especially when I need to type fast (RP sessions) but feel tired. You can tell how tired I am by the number of nonsensical words randomly inserted in a sentence just because, somewhere in my head they *sounded* right.

Oh and the words that I really should know how to spell, but suddenly... don't.

An NPC of mine once "merely killed everyone in a city" instead of "nearly killing them". She is a lovely undead tanar'ri so it worked but still :p

"it's" and "its" happen to me too, but strictly as a typo.
    A lot of other mistakes, too.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Actually there are some rules that govern the way words are pronounced in English but trust me you don't want to have to find out about them. English native speakers may not realize what a pain in the neck it is. I studied English phonetics and phonology and I had to learn countless lists of rules with countless exceptions. When you have more than a hundred words that are listed as exceptions you know that there is something wrong. In that context the fact that Ferdinand de Saussure said that "language is a system" always made me laugh.

Triactus your list is not comprehensive actually since you left out "row" and "sow" that rhyme with "cow" (that's two that I can think of right now).

What is also a pain is word stress which is probably the most important feature if you want an English speaker to understand what you're saying. But the most annoying thing is that numerous words can be pronounced in many different ways according to different accents and even if you only take into account RP (received pronunciation) which is roughly South-Eastern British English and General American.

According to my phonetics dictionary there are four different ways to pronounce "apartheid" that are considered to be correct.

Still if you want to find out more about how diphthongs evolved in English you should look into the Great Vowel Shift (google it and you shall find what you seek).

Being unable to sleep sucks. I've been awake for almost 27 hours now so I should probably stop posting about English pronunciation.

7. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ah, see the thing about English having weird pronunciations is because we've bastardised about 100 different languages and dialects to get to modern english :D

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    English grammar consists of 1000 rules, each of which has 1000 exceptions. ;)

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] At least it isn't Afrikaans!

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Got my new PC up and running. Just had to wipe the HD and start fresh. So much for Gateway Tech support though. Not very helpful, I got the feeling that the 2 different techs I spoke with didn't really give a hoot. But I have to say wow, WIn 7 is pretty! And I can actually surf the web with speed for the 1st time in my life. :happy:

11. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I know what a pain it is. As someone whose first lanuage is English, I can tell you that the only way you can learn it properly is with a lot of practice (preferably while growing up). I feel sorry for anyone trying to trying to learn it as a second language.

And of coarse, if you can reed and right English, that does knot meen yoo can speach it.

12. Shardnax Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

My graduating class barely managed to stammer out words like ridiculous. Anything with more than two syllables caused head scratching. I've been told that Chinese is easy to learn, which really confuses me, because I can't make heads or tales of the characters :|.

On to important things, happy birthday me :D!

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It gets even better! Bow, sow and row sound either like mow or cow depending on what you mean! :lol:

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    All this English geekieness is too much for my tired brain. I'm going to bed. :sleep:

15. Disciple of The Watch

6:32... this should be an interesting day to say the least.

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I have a routine for this weekend's competition! Now I just need to practice it enough to land it consistently. It's incredibly embarrassing getting marched in by a piper, having people applaud you and then messing up. Not this year!

17. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Landed some Cubs tickets last Friday. They are playing Cincy that day, which stinks, but I'm not really going to Wrigley for the game. It's the whole Wrigleyville experience of good food and tavern hopping I plan on enjoying the most. Plus, it is on July 3rd, which means party-time in Chicago. Should be a blast!

18. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've been up for more than 36 hours now. The plan is now to drink as much bourbon as possible so I can pass out if I can't get some sleep.

19. Disciple of The Watch

Nyquil is also an excellent way to knock oneself stupid.

20. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

True, no need to get crunked and die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.