1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal: Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Did you decide to keep Sarevok's sword from the very beggining of SoA? IIRC, you get a little extra dialog if you have it when he first becomes mortal again. :rolling:

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Minh So: The trouble was that HB got HD really late, so he was behind in xp by about a million or so points...so by the time he would have got HLAs, he'd have been a dead weight on the party, and when he takes off, there isn't much game left.

Hence, the dump. :)

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Just a question HB: when you get the dialogue in the pocket plane to summon NPCs, does the option "my lover, the fighter/cleric Anomen" come up? (Heh, truly the romance made in hell...)

4. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

So, how we doing HB? Have you progressed to the next major...ahem...checkpoint?

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Bion - no we did not get that dialogue option.
    Kitrax - do you mean the Sword of Chaos? No, sold that thing off when Minsc got Lilacor.
    Faraaz - not sure what you mean by 'checkpoint'. We've killed Grimlock (or whatever his name was) and now we have to go and find out the secrets of Yura Shuga's achilles heel.

6. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Gromnir. Not that it matters. I think you'll find that ToB plays pretty fast. 2/5 of the Five down in a single day...

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ouch. Just got completely nailed by a Master Wraith and various assorted wraiths. Had to reload half a dozen times. Main problem was that any Negative Plane Protection cast before the battle was zapped by the Master Wraith whilst in Gorion mode - and Viconia only has so many available to cast. Plus some of those wraiths move pretty fast. Luckily, Viconia is immune to level drain (and it doesn't affect Arya too badly - losing a few Thief levels is not as bad as Nalia losing wizard levels)

Eventually only made it through by calling up loads of summons to take the hits. I'm not sure I was putting the right buffs on Nalia because we spent most of the time trying to protect her as we needed her to keep removing the master wraiths protections.

8. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

That is indeed a nasty battle the first time through. Caused me a lot of grief as I recall. The right tool for the job is Sunray, preferably from the Helm of Brilliance. Anyone know why the Sunray casting time on the Helm of Brilliance is less than that of Daystar?

9. Hydragyrum Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Somewhere back in SoA, Nalia aquired an Amulet of Power, which did not seem that good except for the the Immunity to Level Drain it confers. It kept Nalia at full power when I got to this bit. My PC is an Undead Hunter ans is also immune to such drain. Minsc and Aerie lost a few levels in the fight but it was not that bad.

If you do not have the Amulet, someone must know the code to call up a few. Sorry - I can't help on that one.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Harbourboy

Did you notice that the wraiths kept chasing only your mages, turning invisible N-times after attacking? Increbidly annoying if you do not use it against them: boots of speed and running in circles would had done it somewhat easier for your other party members, if had summons keeping the master wraith busy. ;)

11. Harbourboy

That would somewhat defeat the purpose of playing this game for me. Anyway, Viconia is wearing that amulet as she is the one I most need to protect from Level Drain so she can go around protecting and restoring everyone else.

This is exactly what Nalia ended up having to do. Was useful for keeping a few wraiths busy (all very Keystone Kops or Benny Hill) but it meant she couldn't get her breach spells off as quickly as we needed (unless she ran behind a wall of tanks for a breather)

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Gah! Stoopid RL is putting a serious dent in my SP time, so I just noticed you dumped Haer Dalis. Trust me - he really is very good, but he needs some micro-management in order to get the most out of him. He makes a good back-up mage, a decent tank with Offensive Spin, and once he gets the Improved Bard Song HLA, he becomes even more worthwhile.

13. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Harbourboy, did you pick up the mace of disruption back in SoA? That's another way to get immunity to level drain. Anyway, the only other good way to clear that fight out is with a limited wish. Otherwise, you're going to limp out of that fight every time.

14. Harbourboy

Exactly.

15. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Next time through the Master Wraith bit, HB, you might want to use a character with an active romance; it just adds a little more to the game and the romance.

I echo Eric's comments - Limited Wish is a godsend against level-draining undead, so long as your mage doesn't (ahem) tend to ask for the wrong things... However, and probably a really stoopid question: have you tried using Viconia's "turn undead" ability in that fight?

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Heh. I always forget to do that. She's darn good at it by ToB, too.

17. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

So your thief has not reach 3M exp yet ? Use all item lets you wear the Amulet of Power and even a Full plate + Shield if you want :)

18. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think that would defeat the whole point of being a Kensai-Thief...

19. Harbourboy

No, Arya, is on 3.6m XP but only 2.6m of those are in Thief levels. After our very poor showing at the hands a few measly wraiths, we have decided to take a detour and follow up on rumours of powerful magic items to be found in the Watcher's Keep that we can use in the battles with Yura Sugar.

So far so good, Minsc (who has just picked up Greater Whirlwind), Sarevok, and Arya have been able to handle all the monsters themselves so far. Most underused character at the moment is Nalia who is yet to cast a single spell in the Keep.

20. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Whoa...Watcher's Keep is a dungeon to outshine...or outgloom all other dungeons!! :D

You're gonna love it, especially near the end. It gets to be good fun! And the most important bit of advice after Watcher's Keep...go STRAIGHT to Cespenar and have him look through your stuff...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.