1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Toughest fight in SoA?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Corr Raven, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I know, I got stuck at the portals, too :)

I think the hardest battles would be Gangaxx. It took me an eternity to whack him...

I din't even know that the Twisted Rune had a Lich. Oh, well, who cares...

Ara
    (Incredibly easily annoyed at the moment...)

2. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Shandalar and Firkraag....

3. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Shsndalar? who's that? don't recognise the name

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I found the Beholder lair in the Underdark to be very difficult (I didn't have the cloak). It's easy if you use cheesy tactics, like shooting into the fog of war, etc. But doing it straight up is pretty tough.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Shandalar is the lich (iirc) in the twisted rune fight ... indeed a tough nut to crack.

6. Astral-Druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Toughest fight for me was the Twisted Rune, had to reload around 10 times, only other fight that was tough was Kangaxx.

7. Arkanis Gath. ;) Definitely Arkanis Gath.

8. void Guest

I found the second fight with Irenicus really hard (on the tree of life) while the slayer version was so easy that they only killed one of my party members...

9. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In my latest game (AD&D rules) it would have to be twisted rune until now. I used a scroll of magic protection and went right to the twisted rune be4 it was finished, but with my relatively low level characters it was kinda hard. I reloaded a couple of times because I kept getting level drained. Then I found out you can use barbarian rage with 100%MR then it was suddenly a piece de la cake

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Revised estimate.

I actually found the black dragon with the long unpronounceable name the hardest fight.

Just completed first time last night, and that's the only fight I didn't finish with more than 3 standing. (Actually 4, but I decided I wanted to make sure the Jahera romance didn't botch, so I reloaded the one where she got killed). Probably just lack of good tactics, but hey with a max level monk as the protagonist, everything else went pretty smoothly, so I thought brute force and ignorance would win the day again.

The tree fight with Irenicus also got a bit messy first try, but I tried one of them timestop scrolls the second time.....

Quite strange though, coz when we got sent to Hell afterwards, the fire elemental I summoned was still bashing him for about 5 minutes off screen. Must have given him a serious headache! All I could see was the damage messages scrolling along. If I'd thought to I would have counted it up.

Time to install TOB now so I can get my leg over with that Jahera woman! Got to have the patience of a saint with that one.

11. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

the hardest fight for me was the twisted rune quest. maybe it was the fact my party has only 3 people to... oh well

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Thaxll´ssillyia ... ;) yes, she's indeed a deadly opponent - especially when you're on low level or, worse, multiclassed *and* on low level *g* ... the temporaryly level drain is just as deadly as her wings and attacks ... my first dragon fight was against her ... awesome and really exciting :)

13. Black Rose Guest

Not sure... for me?

Twisted Rune is hard because of the multiple things they throw at you. A Beholder, vampire that level drains, powerful mage, *and* a lich.

14. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Aren't there 2 black dragon's with long unpronounceable names?

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Sorry,

Not the shadow dragon in the temple. That one did fall over like it was supposed to. :D Firekraag did too. I didn't fight Adalon or the last one in Hell. (I was playing a good character after all).

I'm thinking of the one in Chapter 7 just outside the elven city. Think I was just taking too long over busting defences and getting down to damage dealing. Still, the cup was mine, all mine in the end.

16. Kr0n0 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hmmm, i'm currently on Chap III, going to Chap IV, and i think my thoughest fight was against Kangaxx as the Demi-lich, i had to reload about 15 times.
    The black and red dragons were easy and also the runestone.

I will explain my techiques if anyone is curious.

Kangaxx - a couple of traps, hide in shodows
    Kangaxx Demi-lich - i had to buy Staff of the Rynn since i didn't have any +4 weapon, protection spells, and kept summoning some creatures for imprisionment protection, ring of ram.

Black and red dragons - what was dificult about it???!!!

Runestone (that was the quest wich you must have a rogue stone, and it's in the bridge district, right?) - some traps and hide in shadow to kill the lich, at the same time pushed Jaheira with the Shield of Balduran to reflect beholder's rays, minsc took care of the vampire with Mace of Disruption +2, the fighter is easy, the mage couldn't see me so after i killed all i charged on the mage.

creudzfeldt-jakob:
    You killed Arkanis!!! This guy kills my party, 1 hit per character!!!

PS: I'm playing based on AD&D rules dificulty level.

17. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I disagree with you all! Politely. The toughest battle in the game for me was the one in the sewers with the band of adventurers that happens early on. After that even the tough battles later were mostly strategy. The battle in the sewers really pushes your abilities to the max early on.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That wasn't tough at all!
    one web and they're helpless...

19. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Well I was fearing the fight with Firkraag, sure I was going to get chunked. But I didn't. I'd say the three hardest fights were Twisted Rune and Irenicus (both at the end) on Insane Difficulty. Next came all the dragons, the streets of Suldanessalar, and Kangaax. Then the Demon Knights, Mind Flayers, Beholders, party in the sewers, etc.

20. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The Kobolds! Oh my god, I still have nightmares over them! :D:):D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.