1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman Trial Set to Start

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 28, 2013.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Drew: Did you get a chance to listen to the conversation with the dispatcher? Is it available to the public (I'd be surprised if it was, but might check it out if it is), or are you somehow privy to it for another reason? If you haven't actually heard it, how can you say that "anyone listening to the conversation with the dispatcher would be aware that Zimmerman was already chasing down Trayvon with the explicit intent of subduing or holding him against his will"?

BTA: Self-defense is a type of intent, though, and it's precisely self-defense that we're talking about. Drew was saying that the "intent" of self-defense no longer mattered in this case because in manslaughter, intent doesn't matter, and the fact that if he hadn't been chasing Martin down, Martin wouldn't have died was what mattered. Walking behind someone/following them is not normally any more unlawful than having a fancy object in your house, unless there's some kind of unlawful intent. Therefore, obviously even in manslaughter, intent has to play some role.

2. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    That's actually quite false ... the police report contains no indication that Zimmerman was chasing Martin at all. Following, yes, briefly, supposedly to ascertain Martin's location and collect a street address for police. Chasing, no.

V, much information can be found on the Wiki, including audio of Zimmerman's call to police. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Admittedly, I'm doing a bit of basic math to conclude Zimmerman was chasing him. Namely, Trayvon was running, and Zimmerman was following him. To do that, Zimmerman would have needed to be running, too. Here's a transcript:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    This is true, but it's more of a case of selection bias at work. You see, it's the AG's office that gets to decide which cases they take and which ones they don't. The legal system is overcrowded the way it is, and so they get to cherry pick the cases. A lot of times, if they think it's unlikely they'll get a conviction, they won't press charges in the first place. The main reason you'll see most AG's offices with a 90%+ conviction rate isn't because most people who are charged are guilty, it's because they only take the cases they are extremely likely to win.

There is nothing preventing them from charging him with both 2nd degree murder AND manslaughter. Mind you, I don't know if that's the case here, but I know from my time serving on a grand jury that anyone charged with murder was also charged with manslaughter. (They are also charged with assault, and in the case of Maryland law, he would also have been charged with using a handgun in commission of a felony. But I don't know if Florida has a comparable law on the books.)

Like I said, without seeing the full list of charges against Zimmerman, I don't know what type of options the jury will have at their disposal, but it would be highly unusual if the only charge he was facing was 2nd degree murder. Typically, the only way manslaughter wouldn't be added to the list of charges is if they really think they'll get a murder conviction. History does show that when a jury is presented with both options, and it's not an open and shut case, they tend to go with the lesser manslaughter charge.

5. Gaear

Media:
  6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Depends on how Florida law works. It could be simply a lesser included offense that it automatically part of the charge unless the prosecutor specifically opts to not proceed on that count.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Manslaughter is a charge for an unlawful killing where there was no intent to kill. Self-defense always matters because it is one circumstance where killing is lawful. If the killing is lawful then you cannot have manslaughter (or any the other charges for an unlawful killing).

Manslaughter charges generally come from negligent causes like driving recklessly; or other confrontational circumstances like a fistfight where there was intent to harm but not to kill.

8. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

First, to Aldeth:

I understand that they could have charged him with both. That's why I used the word "if":
    I probably could have been clearer if I'd added another sentence explaining that obviously, if he's been charged with both, then a conviction of manslaughter would be a possibility, but for some reason, I thought the "if" would be sufficient, even though I've had this specific predicament in the past. Sorry about that.

Blackthorne:
    Aha! So, there is either some intent toward the eventual victim or wrongdoing that "caused" the death (like intoxication while driving, which people know in advance is illegal), but not the intent to kill. That makes much more sense. So, showing aggression towards the victim wouldn't necessarily be an intent to kill, but it would be enough of an intent that a resulting death would still be manslaughter, even if the eventual victor was defending him/herself. On the other hand, in the case of the burglary, the eventual victor never shows anything other than trying to protect him/herself, so it's not manslaughter. Still looks pretty wiggly to me, but I get it.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Gaear

Media:
    I think you're missing a parenthesis at the end of that link, dmc.

11. dmc

Media:
    Does it not work for you? It works for me. It's basically a Wiki article on manslaughter in the USA, as other countries have slightly different interpretations.

12. Gaear

Media:
    It works now but I think it was fixed by Mr. BTA. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.