1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trivial Pursuit

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

2. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well you didn't show your working out, but since this isn't the test I had this morning, that's alright.
    Other ways to write that include:
    5y=x-19
    x-5y-19=0
    Go on Darkstrider. :)

3. DarkStrider

In Egyptian Mythology Horus was the son of Isis and Osiris, but what was his name when he was born ?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Junior :D

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Har-Sa-Iset (Har son of Isis)?

6. DarkStrider

Horus is a greek contration of Harseisis, Har-sa-iset, Heru-sa-iset and others. What I was thinking of is when he was but a babe and was left in Buto by Isis while she searched for the dead Osiris he had a different and greek sounding name. Horus takes that name for himself after his father becomes Lord of the Dead and he tries to take vengeance upon Seth for killing his father in the eternal battle between good and evil.

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Harpocrates

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    OOh I think BOC got it!

9. DarkStrider

Indeed it is I thought for a minute I was been too obscure again for a while :D , brandishes torch and passes it to BOC

10. BOC

This is a question for WW2 junkies.The highest award of WW2 german armes forces was the Knight's Cross with golden oak leaves, swords and diamonds and it was created in 1944 especially for one man. Who was this man?

11. DarkStrider

The problem with this question is whether it was created for someone because they deserved it or whether it was created because someone liked the idea of it. I'm going to go with the former idea in which case because of the year, and the need for a hero at that time of the war in Germany and assuming it is before October when he was forced to commit suicide, I think it's the great German tactician and strategist Erwin Rommel ?

Sorry about the blather but I was working it out as I typed

12. BOC

No, here some hints, he was a Stuka pilot, mainly fought in the eastern front with an incredible record (150 various artillery pieces, 519 tanks, around 1000 various vehicles, 70 landing crafts, 2 fighters, 1 battleship, 2 Cruisers and 1 Destroyer).His achievements forced Stalin to put a price of 100.000 rubles for his head.

13. DarkStrider

I'm not as accomplished on the eastern fron but that's an incredible kill ratio especially for a stuks pilot :eek:

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sinking a battleship?!?! I believe those accounts are highly exaggerated. A couple of soviet battleships were captured by Germans and subsequently destroyed -- but that would hardly count as a battlefield kill. One battleship, the October Revolution was damaged during two separate air attacks, but she was used as a training platform into the 50's (I wouldn't count a ship still afloat after the war as a kill).

15. BOC

@T2Bruno

Battleship "Marat" on September 23rd of 1941 in Kronstadt harbor. A 1000kg bomb hit its ammunition store and broke the ship in half.

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The red baron?

Im guessing my guess is way off, but he's the only german pilot I know of...

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I got desperate and went to ask my father-in-law if he knew, since he watches History channel and war documentaries and such. So I will guess what he told me: Rudle (sp)?

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    I know I'm off topic....

The Marat was still in service at the end of the war (under it's original name Petropavlovsk). She was damaged in the attack but continued to use her aft turrets during the battle. I believe the account is exaggerated.

The websites I saw had two different battleships sunk by Rudel -- both of which were in service at the end of the war. :rolleyes:

He was a great pilot (an excellent trivia question by the way). I only know of one instance where a pilot sunk a battleship singlehandedly -- and I don't believe even the Japanese know which pilot he was.

19. BOC

Indeed the answer is Hans Ulrich Rudel.

@T2Bruno

The web site, where I'm taking the info (achtungpanzer)is one of the most reliable websites about WW2 and it's quoting Rudel's rear gunner saying "you've got her, you hit the ammunition store". Anyway, Marat settled in shallow waters and until the end of the war she was used as floating artilery.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I tried coming up with something pithy, but all I got was this:

We've all heard of the RMS Titanic and her disasterous, maiden voyage. RMS stand for what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.