1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Trivial Pursuit

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Felinoid, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

HB has it, with one minor misspelling: Tenzing Norkay. Your turn, feather-foot. :roll:

@Magpie & T2B:
    You guys want to start a new topic to discuss this? :happy:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow. I got one right. Sir Edmund Hillary is pretty much one of the most revered New Zealander is history so you would expect most of us to know the name of his sherpa buddy.

Hmm, a new question....... not sure if this is really easy or not, but:

The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa. What does word translate to in English?

3. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Place of many Islands ?

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Bah, New Zealand probably has less islands than the Finnish archipelago. :p

I think it was Land of the White Cloud or something similar.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Morgoroth is right enough. Aotearoa means Land of the Long Whie Cloud. You're up, Flayer-Fin.

6. Morgoroth

Let's throw a softball to the game for a change. Which were the three sole capitols of war involved countries in Europe that were not occupied at some point by the enemy during WW2?

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Warsaw, London and Moscow?

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

London, Moscow, Helsinki.

9. Harbourboy

London, Moscow, Vienna?

10. Morgoroth

The Magpie got it right. Did you know it or did the fact that I come from Finland give it away? ;)

Finland managed to get an armtice signed with the Soviet Union in 1944 due to the fact that Stalin became less interested in Finland and wanted to fully concentrate upon the attack on the German controlled Poland and the defensive victory of Tali-Ihantala were Finland managed to stop the Soviet offensive that had initially broken our defensive lines. Therefore Helsinki was never occupied joining Moscow and London in that cathegory.

11. The Magpie

Well, I've been to Finland & could remember about them holding lines against the Soviet Union in WWII. But yes, the fact that you were from Finland helped confirm my suspiscion that they never reached Helsinki. London & Moscow I just knew. ;)

Johann Bechner (1635-82) proposed that fire was "phlogiston" liberated from materials by burning. What physically impossible property was given to phlogiston to try and explain the observations made of burning objects?

[ November 13, 2005, 14:13: Message edited by: The Magpie ]

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

It goes against gravity?

13. The Magpie

Very close, but no cigar. "Going against gravity" isn't physically impossible per se, as long as you have sufficent force acting to oppose gravitiational pull (most commonly, buoyancy forces keep planes up and set up convection currents). However, you're not very far off... I was thinking more of the effect burning has on a substance, compared before and after the process. When certain observations were made, some parts of the scientific community who were wedded to the phlogiston idea tried to finesse it to fit the new data, using a wholly bananas premise, more fundamental than saying it "goes against gravity".

14. Harbourboy

That you can end up with more matter after the burning than you had before, therefore violating one or more of the laws of thermodynamics?

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

My other idea is - it goes up, which is not that easily explainable so I went with against gravity.

16. Felinoid

Volume without mass.

17. The Magpie

O.K., HB got what it was they were trying to explain... ;)

18. Harbourboy

Woohoo. Hmm, it's not easy to think of a question. How about:

What achievement is often attributed to New Zealander Richard Pearse? Many people claim that he did this thing before the people who are generally accepted to have been first to do it.

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Went to Antarctica?

20. Felinoid

Achieved flight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.