1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

U.S. Eyes Space as Possible Battleground

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

There are radio frequencies which are dangerous to organic matter: The "banned" frequencies. Electro-magnetic waves interact with electrons in such a way as when the wavelengths are complimentary, the electron becomes more energetic. Certain wavelengths, including some in the radio part of the spectrum, energize bonds in organic molecules causing them to break if sufficiently excited.

2. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Here are a few examples for those who are not familiar in this and haven't heard of its significance in the everyday life: photocell doors, the camera, ...

Yeah that is why I written "doesn't damage macroscopic objects".
    I suppose you meant the specific types of radioactive radiation here.

In a word, US (neither anyone else) won't be able to destroy satellites with X, gamma or microwaves etc. But the e-weapon thing... it still may be a surprise some day.. I doubt they stopped those developments. And back to the topic, those weapons would be really powerful in a possible space warfare, or space to earth or earth to space operations. Even settled to the moon...

3. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This country is getting too big for its pants.
    It's throwing its weight around too much.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You don't have to destroy the satellite's structure, only its electronics.

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Those types of EM radiation won't be used because they can't be.
    To destroy the electronics from great distance, I heard of no other way than the (superconductor-based military)e-weapon technology (I hope they improved it. The only known successful experiment was the following: with a device which was as big as a truck, they managed to turn down an electrical circuit in a distance of a few kilometres)

6. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

There is no need to destroy a sattelite when one can assume control over it. The things that I have read indicate that significant work is being done to find ways to interrupt transmissions and therefore render the enemy sattelites as expensive space garbage.

This has all the makings of a new Cold War, played out in orbit as opposed to Europe...but I wonder why everyone is so quick to point a finger at the US? We were happily on our way with a lackluster space program, content to periodically crash a shuttle due to human or beauracratic failures.

The nation that really ramped up the space issue, and forced the US to adopt our current outlook toward this new direction, is China. Why is no one questioning why they first ignited this new space race?...Why is no one is criticizing them for instigating a reaction from the US?...surely you don't all believe that the current Chinese program to put men in space is simply to satisfy a curious human nature?

I don't approve of unecessary Cold Wars or militaristic buildups...but we didn't start this (but we can finish it)...and if we look at the first "space race" between the US and the USSR...the amount of colateral technical development was staggering...all of our lives are benefited and affected by gains made in technology just to put a man on the Moon.

If we can survive this without a tragic war...we may well arrive closer to a world where actual armed combat is obsolete...anyway, lay off the US...our reaction may be a little "kneejerk", but it is still a reaction.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] It is stupid to think that war in space won't spread to earth. This indeed looks cold warish as Hack N slash writes above.

I hope plans stay as plans. Why shouldn't China be allowed to develop huge space nukes "just as protection" if any other space nation does the same? And a cold war would begin. But true even if US didn't start it they can end it peacefully.

[ March 04, 2004, 13:25: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

8. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

No, I think it's driven by the usual - political and economic considerations. And I'd say it is America who re-ignited the Space Race with talk of Star Wars programs and so forth.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.