1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ultimate Power Gaming Party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Dias, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Hey guys :D ! It's nice to see that some of you still take the time to send your ideas. Anyway I would like to let you know about my party's status and how my game is going. Right now I'm on my way to Kuldahar, just finished off the mages, earth elementals and the harpies berfore going on board oswald's ship, I must say that I haven't gone through any tight spots yet save for the battle square which I finished in one go.

As for my party I realized I made many mistakes, here's a reviw:

1. My fighter(4)paladin(11)sorcerer(15)*aasimar* build is kinda weak, in the sense that I should have just taken 1-3 levels of pally, I thought I could get all paladin spell levels (just for fun) but I found out I only get to cast them at 4th level and every 4 levels of paladin after that :(
    But, as a melee fighter he is pretty decent he is now at fighter(4)paladin(9)and I plan to make him a sorcerer a.s.a.p. I just hope I can still have enough feats for armored arcana, and hopefully evocation at least.

2. My fighter(4)stormlord(26)*human*is doing pretty good he has the highest kills in the party and I have no regrets whatsoever, except that I couldn't add a level of monk for armor class because he is not lawful :rolleyes:

3. My monk(30)*tiefling* is also doing well he has the highest armor class, I remember someone saying aasimar is better because I could max out the wisdom. I agree, but I wanted to add the two extra ability points to strength seeing he doesn't use any weapon.

4.My ranger(1)druid(29)*human* is also doing ok, although I hated it at first, but I love the spell smashing wave and the early flame strikes :D Although I couldn't add a level of monk too coz she's not lawful either :( and as for the one level of ranger I think that it doesn't make a big difference even with the ambidexterity and two weapon fighting effect. I still can't send her in the frontlines (thank god for barkskin).

5. Sorcerer(30)*aasimar* :D nuff said!

6. Rogue(1)Wizard(29)*tiefling* someone mentioned I should take elf or wildelf to avoid ecl penalty, well it's only ECL-1 and tiefling has some useful benefits. I wanted to make it drow but I did it before and I didn't want an ECL-2. Honestly, I wish there is some other way to build a strong rogue without multi-classing it to a caster, any ideas?

Well that's it, thanks for all the replies, let's just all cross our fingers that black isle gets resurrected and that we see an IWD2 expansion. :)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sounds like some good feedback for you to introduce to your next party. That is pary of the reason I like to start off with 2-3 characters because about halfway through I get more ideas for people to include and then I add them to the team.

I still don't know why you wanted to add Monk to your Cleric to get Armour Bonus. A Cleric usually wears Heavy Armour so that bonus would be invalid.

Plus, I don't know if I would bother with Armoured Arcana for that first character. Spell Failure is such a pain and ruins all your strategies. I would rather get rid of their armour, give some Bracers, Barkskin, and Mirror Image and then be sure that their spells will go off.

3. Dias Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Yeah I plan to base my next party on my findings, as for your question why would I add a monk level to cleric if it uses heavy armor? Well the answer is simple, he doesn't have to use any armor at all, an armor can only do as much compared to the monk bonus when you don't wear one, and since he is a cleric a high wisdom score ensures a high armor class as compared to a cleric depending on an armor.

Well, I should have taken my own advice, because I think your right regarding my paladin, "maybe" I shouldn't get armored arcana and depend on mirror image, braces, and other buffs. Anyway thank you for the ideas.

4. his_father Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Actually the high charisma is for his saving throws, since his dex and con is kinda bad.

But now that you've mentioned that...kinda makes sense to do it...but too late alas!!!

In my next build maybe...gonna try it with an aasimar.

5. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The reason for adding a Monk level on a Cleric is that it allows one to reach MUCH higher Armor Classes, but ONLY if the character is designed to take advantage of this.

I'll concentrate only on AC obtainable from armor, shield, DEX and WIS here, as everything else is the same between a Cleric and Cleric/Monk.

The best armor in game, Mithral Field Plate, gives +10 armor with +2 DEX cap. Add a shield for +4 extra for a total of +16 max from armor, shield & DEX.

Now, take a Cleric with, say, DEX18 and WIS21. (Easily reachable even with a mere Human by 12th level.) Add Cat's Grace and Every God's Ring to bring these stats up to DEX20 (up to DEX23) and WIS26. With a monk level, these bonuses alone bring +13 AC.

So what, you say, it's still 3 below Plate/Shield??

Now, the trick: Cast Spirit Armor on this guy! It gives +6 Armor bonus, but since it doesn't hamper movement in any way (by spell description) it works together with Monk bonuses, giving us a total of +19 AC, and you don't even need to carry a shield!

So.. in this worst-case scenario, one could get a net +3 AC by taking a monk level. It just gets better with Deep Gnomes racial bonuses on both DEX and WIS. Also, getting a Shield ring would allow one to cast Shield for one extra AC above and beyond Spirit Armor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.