1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

VERY funny but tragic D&D story (REAL story)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Farthy, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The earlier post about being overheard and reported reminds me of something that happenned a few days ago. A friend of mine who's into console games was recently introduced to IWD by myself after playing through Dark Alliance one night and hearing me lament the major difference in immersion levels in PC and console games. Anyway, he was stuck somewhere dealing with the undead in IWD, and we're sitting in the computer lab (I'm in law school), and he tells me about it. My response, as close as I can remember, is:
    "You've got to be more creative than that, use what you have. When you're dealing with undead, use 'turn undead', it looks like a skull in you skill icon, click it and it goes 'haaah' (I even made the sound), and the undead totally turn around dude, and later on in HOW they explode!" I was unfortunately overheard by a very attractive fellow student (female of course) who had no idea what we were talking about. Sometimes you can be a proud geek, and sometimes it sucks to be spotted.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Orkrist, don't let them fool you. More and more females are getting into video games.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited January 26, 2002).]

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Blaming the gaming industry for deaths now is kind of like the nazis blaming the jews for unemployment etc. back in the thirties and fourties. People never learn. :(

4. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

DnD is real, forgetton realm is real. I live in faerun! Muahaha. Hey, i use to go to church and i would bring fantasy book sometimes. I got crap for it! woot, then after that i just sleep in on sundays. My parents don't care ;)

5. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I just wish I could find a girl who liked D&D(and blond). Anyways, I've been inspired to ask around and see if people think D&D is evil or ok or they just dont care. I wonder if I could put it in the school news paper?

6. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Don't we all wish for that eh Dragonrider?? :) As for putting in the newspaper? well it may seem feasable depending on the school i suppose. I know i would never put an article like that at my school, buncha redneck no goodies;) haha

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] DRSW, you could always try the personals ;) :p >>>>

Pot-bellied ettercap seeking hot blonde D&D female. Likes candlelit dinners, long walks on the beach, spitting contests, and pen and paper RPG's.

8. Smot Poker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Boy, this topic hits close to home! Literally! I was raised and still live in the shadow of Michigan State University. I was about 10 when Egbert did himself in and I remember all the buzz about D&D at the time. I would have to say that the corpse's in the Mexican tunnels is most likely the aforementioned 'Urban Legend' that spun off this tragic tale, as much was made of Egberts 'tunnel crawling.' I myself erroneously believed that his body had been found in the tunnels. A bit more info can be found here: http://www.lrp-index.org.uk/zine/Issue01/feature1-1.html
    It's ironic that many religious organizations latched upon D&D as the culprit in this case of detached reality. Throughout history, religion has been the catalyst in far more heinous deeds and crusades, e.g. the Salem witch trials (burnings), the Spanish Inquisition, even Nazi Germany played heavily on Martin Luther's notorious anti-Semitism.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.