1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

WC Football started!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, May 31, 2002.

1. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Thank God Italy are through. Else it would have been the strangest WC I've ever experienced. Nice Match Croatia-Equador. Both teams had to win. A bit chaotic perhaps. YaY! Great football every day. I am in paradise. Can't wait untill Portugal must beat South Korea tomorrow. :mommy:

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Right you are Joacqin, about Japan.
    ... "Japaner, japaner, japaner!" ;)
    (It's a classic line by Sven Jerring, a famous swedish radio commentator, from way, way back in time.)

I agree it's good Italy stayed, although sometimes I think they deserve to get a slap in their football-face. Only sometimes though, it's not like the english who deserve to be slapped all the time. :)

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have heard it Earl Grey :D
    We lost that game 3-2, it was a sensation.

Didnt know you were a swede Earl Grey ;)
    Kewl.
    Now it is decided either Japan or Turkey, hmm I think we have a good chance against both. Now Senegal is the biggest hindrance. But damn I am so impressed by the boys.

Have you heard varanteaterns Global Fussball OK? Hilarious :grin: Best WC song yet :D

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :roll::spin:Germany beat Paraguay 1-0 (wonderful shot by Oliver Neuville) in the 87th min!!!:roll::spin:

Next opponent on next tuesday (iirc) either USA or Mexico ... weeeee!:heh::square::xx:

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Congratulations Ragusa, but I must say that it wasnt a very good game. Germany can do better. I am rather sure you will meet Mexica in the quarter. They have been one of the best teams this far into the tournament.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yep they can do better and hopefully they will. It may not have been a beautiful game, but considering all the handicaps of the german team (missing valuable players) I'm happy they eventually won. I'm curious about things to come. Actually the german team played rather good the last 25 minutes, but the rest of the game was so-so at best, however, Paraguay was a stron opponent.

7. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

They won by a goal in the last minutes of the match? Now that is really typical for Germany. I remember once it was Yug-Ger 2:0 in the second half but Germany won 2:4. As one of our journalists put it: "Our intelectually superior players realised that, after 2:0, the game was over, while the stupid germans thought they still had to play." :D

8. ArchAngel Guest

England is in the lead :(. But they tucked themselves in pretty tight instead of just scoring another. This might give denmark a goal :D

EDIT; I don't mind loosing to a better team. Who said England had a bad offensive :mommy: Great goal 2-0 England.

EDIT2; All to easy. One danish mistake and its wham bang thank you Heskey. 3-0 Half Time...

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 15, 2002).]

9. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I have to say I think the english defense was really excellent today against Denmark (game not quite over yet, but still).
    On the other the danish play today is incoherent, lacking edge and precision in their offense and a defense that is shaky and insecure.

Congrats to England on a well played game! :)

10. ArchAngel Guest

Yeah England was a better version of Denmark. Well done.
    Ball possession Denmark 70% England 30%
    Goals Denmark 0 England 3
    Those are the statistics usually in Denmarks favor. England plays as Denmark, feeding solely on the opponents mistakes. So Against Brazil they'll stand a great chance with Brazil's colourfull risky football. :)

Then against stronger more solid European teams like Italy or Germany in the finals they won't stand much chance.

11. joacqin

Media:
    Dammit, I really thought Denmark would do better. But England had as stated a solid defense and a very sharp offense. I dont like to say this but Beckham is a very important player for England, some nice crosses and corner kicks. Oh well atleast I can like England too but I had hoped at Denmark.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    OMG, Belgium goes to the 1/8 finals. Who would have expected that? Now, all we have to do is beat Brazil :D

[This message has been edited by Uytuun (edited June 15, 2002).]

13. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Now it's all up to Sweden... Please win this WC. :(

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @Tasohan
    Sweden would never be so selfish as to win the World Cup. If we get to the finals you can be sure we'll lose with grace.
    After Sweden-Argentina Maradona came down hard on the way Sweden played football, in 1994 Pele did the same. We don't want to draw too much attention, we just wan't to win "lagom" many games.
    (I felt using that swedish term was appropriate, you can figure out what it means)

15. joacqin

Media:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :cry: :( :wail:
    This is horrible!! This isnt fair! We played so good at the end! Football is a cruel passion.

16. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

:heh: Senegal in the quarter final. Sorry Earl and Joaqcin, but this is way too much fun to stop laughing. :grin:

Now i really hope that Senegal will win this WC, that could indeed be interesting ;).

17. ArchAngel Guest

This is bad. Sweden out. And that golden goal chance on the sidebar? What a trick! And then Senegal goes and shoot and awkward goal. :( Someone send that lousy Senegal out of the tournament! :evil: :D

And now Killbane and Co is under pressure. Geez. I hope that judge aat the sideline keeps wawing his flag around against spain.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited June 16, 2002).]

18. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Well, that was painful. Sweden could not have hoped for a "easier" opponents in the round of 16 and the quarter finals.
    Overall Sweden had slightly better scoring opportunities but Senegal had more control of the game.

It would have been much worse to take this if Sweden had been the better team, but today I think the teams were evenly matched and Senegal deserved to win just as much as Sweden did.

Good Luck to Senegal against Brasil in the Semi Finals! :D

19. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

:wail: bad luck for the Irish there - I really hopd that they would win...

On the other hand - GO SENEGAL!! :1eye::whoa:

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited June 16, 2002).]

20. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Spain are evil :evil:

The irish deserved to win :wail::cry::wail:
    Now i have to be patriotic and cheer for England :grr:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.