1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon Proficiencies for a thief

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by hamtaro23, Jan 29, 2005.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yep... btw, does the sword of backstabbing from the thief guild quest give +1 to backstab?

2. Jathszu Khatharua Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No, it doesn't give +1 to backstab.

3. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

one pip in everything means a high penalty when dual wielding with two attacks. Or just one attack unless using a belm or other weapon that adds an attack. There are weapons that can be upgraded that add to the backstab multiplier, but I don't remember what mods do this. Weapons that do poison damage or other continuous damage are excellent when fighting spellcasters, and I would suggest darts for the high rate of attack and special darts that can be found/bought.

Remember to use the cloak of non-detection to stay hidden in shadows when fighting mages using true seeing! :D

4. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i did say get aVENGERS rouge rebalancing mod wich alows this, i think, otherwise do a dual! like me!

fighter 13/Assasin x and yes i know, i used SK

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I preferred shortsword and single weapon style for thieves. Or daggers and single weapon style. Worked like charm.

People who think that a dagger doesn't kill with 5x damage are mistaken - it just doesn't 'overkill'/ 'splatter' :shake:

Weapons like daggers and shortswords are interesting because of their weapon abilities.

6. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unless I can justify it to myself, it's always Short Sword and Long Sword as melee proficiencies, and Short Bow and/or Darts (yes, that's right - I agree with Thunder completely) for my Assassins. Single-weapon style is preferable to dual-wielding (unless you're dual-classed or modding), since a thief can't get it to the point where the extra attack is worth it. Besides, except for Assassinate, you won't get backstab damage on more than one hit each time.

I always thought it ironic to be nailing a x7 backstab with a weapon callled "The Equaliser". Short swords in BG2 often have excellent benefits (Kundane, Arbane's Sword and Short Sword of Mask, for example).

Katanas are awesome in BG2, Celestial Fury in particular... but of those that would wield a katana, how many would actually consider stabbing an unprepared enemy in the back?

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Backstab does not necessarily mean a thrust into the targets back. A vertical slash to the spine will do the job just as well.
    That is why Clubs and Staffs are allowed. A good knock to the head is the worst thing that can hapen to a mage.

Personally, I prefer a fighter/thief dualed combo. Kensai/ Thief, Wizard Slayer/ Thief or SK'd Fighter/ Assassin. A flurry of blows to beat the nine hells out of that annoying mage.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd always prefer something that could get long-term 10 attacks per round...basically a Fighter/Mage/Something, or a Fighter class with a mage in the party who can cast Improved Haste.

No game is complete without Improved Haste.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.