1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Munchkin Blender, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

So today was the day. I met with my doctor and it went really well.

I lost another 5-6lbs since my April visit when I had a sinus infection. I am down to 269lbs. A total of 23lbs of weight lost in 13 weeks or a little udner 2lbs a week. Not bad.

I am happy and jumping for joy because I did not have to give blood for my physical. My doctor was impressed with my weight loss and said he will see me in a year.

That is great news for me becaue I would rather be in a cage with 10 starving tigers/lions than have any needle stuck into me.

Right after I got that good news I found out I needed a shot. CRAP!

Since I was going to get a needle stuck in me anyways I decided to have a skintag removed that was really annoying and I have no idea how it got there because the location for this skintag was very unusual.

Since I had the day off I came home after I picked up my little girl from day care and pressed play leaving me one more day, tomorrow.

I'm very happy about what I accomplished in 90 days, but I know it is just the beginning for me; it has to be.

I have to say that when I look down at my legs and see that they have muscle definition, never had that before, and look at my arms and I am starting to notice some definition there, I want more from myself. I want that same definition in my legs and what is starting to show in my arms to show up in the core/middle section. That is very important to me and I know I can do it if I stick to it.

After talking with my doctor I really don't have a goal weight any more. My goal is to stay active and to make sure I get an hour of physical activity that pushes me to a new level daily.

I do plan to go one or two more rounds with Power 90. Once Christmas time comes I plan to start either P90X or Insanity. I may go with Insanity as I do enjoy cardio more than the strength training but I would rahter have the muscle definition that P90X gives. So, it is still a toss up at this point but I know Power 90 is going to be used for at least 180 more days.

Aldeth, congrats on your accomplishment. I know at times it can be boring or unmotivating with the beachbody products, but continue with the program until the very end. It definitely made a difference for me.

I have to head out soon as my daughter wants to go to the park that is about a mile away. If I wasn't so tired it wouldn't be that bad, but I made a promise and a promise is a promise.

Harborboy, I thought about just doing walking/running or a cardio routine but after all the reading I did I decided to go with a program that offers both because strength training increase/builds your muslces and with larger/more developed muscles you burn fat quicker. Also, I know if I don't loose a pound I could have lost 2 pounds of fat and gained 2lbs of muscle.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Losing 23 lbs in 13 weeks is quite impressive - regardless of what your start/end weight happens to be. Congrats Muchkin!

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I started round 2 on Monday. Since this is summer time I usually start eating more greens and watch eat less. Maybe with my commitment to exercising and my typical change in diet I can drop more weight.

The first two days were nothing; though last night I didn't even use a video as I let my wife start her program, The Wave.

I do have to say that even after doing P90 3-4 video that the Abs - 200 still is challenging for me. I am hoping by day 90 I can hit 200 crunches.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The Ab videos are quite challenging. I use Ab Ripper in P90X, which is 350 moves in 15 minutes. With me, it typically takes me more like 20-25 minutes to do the video though, as I cannot go through the whole thing without taking a break.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've split up with my GF about 3 weeks ago. Pretty gutting. But in that time I've lost 8 pounds, and losing still. This is good. Every cloud!

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Most people loose about 5% of their weight after a break up.

---------- Added 7 hours, 38 minutes and 19 seconds later... ----------

Yeah they are quite challenging.

If I can continue to exercise and find a diet that I can actually stick to for more than a week than I will see more results.

The doctor for the Biggest Loser recently wrote an article for WEBMD or another website like that. He stated that the average person who wants to lose weight can lose up to 10% of their body weight within 3 to 4 months and about 20% within a year. If that is the case than I should hopefully be able to get my weight down to 230-235 lbs by next March. That isn't all that bad. My goal is to get my weight as close to 200 by next June. I have 1 full year to drop close to 70lbs.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    To be honest, I really think that diet is the most important. Weight loss was not my primary goal in starting P90X. I certainly see changes in my muscles, but I have not lost a lot of weight - probably because I haven't changed my diet much. I've been doing P90X for about two months now, and my total weight lost is just 7.6 pounds.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I bet you might have lost more fat than you realize and gain quite a bit of muscle.

9. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

To my knowledge, losing fat and building up muscle at the same time is almost impossible for a person who has worked out regularly for a long period. However, in a two month period a person probably could switch between losing weight and gaining mass, ending to this result. From my own experience I can say that losing fat usually causes the muscles to become more visible, making them look larger. Measuring fat and muscle percentages before and after the weight loss would tell the truth accurately.

For a beginner who hasn't done any strength training the scenario you mentioned is possible for some amount of time. I definitely think that you lost a lot more fat than the overall 23 lbs.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I tend to agree - sustained weight loss with muscle gain is impossible, and I have been working out for years. However, the one area where my muscles are noticably larger (and it's not just fat loss making the look bigger) are my deltoids. Tony is a back freak, and the number of pullups/pulldowns/chinups that I can do now compared to when I started is dramatic. When one considers that your delts are among the largest muscles on your body, it is not unrealistic to suppose that I lost more fat than the 7.6 pounds the scale indicates, because I built some muscle. Of course, that doesn't mean such a rate can be sustained. In fact, I doubt my delts will get considerably larger than what they are presently at.

11. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Changing a workout routine might give the muscles the extra stimulus they need to grow and as the back muscles are among the largest, it's not impossible. And if I got it right, you calorie deficit hasn't been very large - so I'm willing to call this plausible :) .

I know (and have noticed during my own weight loss periods) that getting stronger while losing weight is possible. Weirdly, for me this doesn't seem to apply to all exercises.

12. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

So, the wifey is down 52 lbs since the start of the year, she had some baby poundage to lose. After irritating the hell out of her yesterday, the argument turned toward me needinig to shed a few and we now have a weight losss bet/competition going. I love competition! :D Every Monday, we will both weigh in. She weighed in at 148.3 this morning, I weighed in at 185.4. This week, loser has to weed the Garden and do all the mowing/trimming to the yard. I have a very large garden and a large yard with lots of trimming needed.

My intake so far today....
    Breakfast -
    3/4 cup of Special K Red Berries, with a very little bit of 2% milk.
    A small tangerine.
    2 Cups of Coffee, black.

Lunch -
    A rather larger Bed of Romaine Lettuce with cut-up Strawberries and a little of Ken's Light Rasberry-Walnut Vinagerette on top.
    1 Light Frigga string cheese
    1 Golden Delicous apple

Dinner will be....
    Grilled Chicken Breast, plain. I actually don't mind it that way.
    Steamed Broccoli cooked with a little lemon juice and some minced garlic.

Nighttime Snacky wil be...
    Yoplait light yogurt, hopefully just one.

The thing for me is, Iusually eat a lot more than this. I don't need or crave junk food necessarilly, but I like a full tummy. I can eat a 20 oz steak, with a Baked potato, a side of veggies and a dinner roll no problem. Unfortunately, my metabolism can't keep up with my intake anymore, plus I'm not as active as I used to be. I will be running on the treadmill for an hour every night for some exercise, along with some good old fashion exercises, like push-ups, crunches and some leg-lifts that I have seen the wifey doing. No work-out tapes for me though, they just annoy the hell out of me.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Blades - if your competition is just pure weight loss by gross pounds, your wife doesn't stand a chance, as it is so much easier for men to lose weight. Hope she likes weeding . . .

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Absolutely - you either have to give her odds, or at least consider the weight loss as a percentage of total body weight.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No odds for her, no way, no how. :D She is already into diet/weight loss mode and had a lot of baby weight to lose, as she had 2 consecutively. So that is 2 babies worth of poundage to lose. Myself on the otherhand, well, I like to eat meat and lots of it, so it's tougher for me to start off. No odds for the old lady or I won't stand a chance.

16. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

A real gentleman - I suppose you drank couple liters of water just before measuring your starting weight :D . Seriously, if she already has lost over 25% of her BW, how can losing more be easier for her?

17. Blades of Vanatar

Hey, who said it's got to be all about her? She weighs a bit less than me and is already looking good and is healthier for it, give a guy a break, jeez.....

And I am a real gentleman with her otherwise. Crap, I moved halfway across the country to live in hill-billy land for her, that says something right there. Let alone, always holding/opening doors for her, pulling her chair out when we dine, etc... She is treated like a queen and it's usually the other way around when it comes to mistreatment, if anything. When I get an opening, I gotta take it!;)

18. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Maybe I should try your idea out. My wife would be the one that wins but it would get her motivated to loss some weight.

Leaning back in my chair pondering what we would bet. She really hate cutting the grass. Hmmm...Maybe I can make a grass cutting bet with her.

I tried to go another 90 days with P90 but couldn't get through it last week. Did 3 out of 6 workouts and ended up quitting. At least I made it through the first 90 days. I'm actually bored of the video; really bored with it. I'm now going to do Slim in 6 for the next six weeks. I'm hoping to drop another 5-10 lbs by the middle/end of July.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Since when is Philly hill-billy land?!?!

20. Blades of Vanatar

I don't live in Philly now Aldeth, that's where I moved from. The suburbs of Philly that is. I moved from Washington's Crossing, in Bucks County. Lovely place. I now reside about 2 hrs northwest of Chicago, in Rockford, IL. Most of the large companies have moved out of Rockford, with only a few left. There are alot of people out of work and believe me, for alot, it's on purpose. Lot's of her family/family friends out here use the term "I reckon". Other areas around us are nice, about 1 hr southwest of here, mainly Chicago's western burbs, but not here.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.