1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are 'chav's called in your country?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by CĂșchulainn, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

In addition to being called "rednecks," we also call them "hicks," "wahoos," "yokels," and "boors."

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think the real English chav is in many ways a phenomenon unique to certain parts of England (from what I saw when I was there - parts of Essex and Berkshire were full of them, especially the main streets of Reading). I have certainly not seen anything quite as scary in New Zealand.

In New Zealand, we have various groups of people who exhibit some of the English chav characteristics but not all of them and not sufficiently numerous to give them a definite label. For example, the beneficiaries who live off the government are not the same people who wear the rapper gear (they can't afford it). So, no real chavs in New Zealand (another good thing we have in common with Canada).

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Illiterate redneck jackasses?

4. Dark Haired Beauty Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Men....hehe. J/k

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Idiots mostly. And a few other choice words. Most people just ignore those people, because they are few and far between.

6. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Chuffin' loads of them here mate. Feel like taking a shotgun to 'em!
    Silly chav b@stards!

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yep, Barmy, your country is full of them.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    In Denmark, or Aarhus anyways, we call 'em truckers. Dunno why, we just do...

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    For me and my friends...Chavs provide a certain amount of amusement! Gotta love that walk, looks like they've been shot in the leg! :p That was probably Barmy!

10. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Dave: LOL. Their stupidity is amusing in it's own right though.
    I'd believe 'wigger' would be what they'd be called in Holland too, that or 'breezah', although I've never known a confirmed chav, so I wouldn't know if these people qualify.
    Oh well, waste-of-spaces, all of them.
    :borg:

11. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I hate chavs, full stop, but I have a bit of a soft spot for chavettes, its quite sad...

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Well, up in Scotland they do provide a tad of amusment, because they let you play the "Burbury Spotting Game", every time you see someone wearing burbury, jsut say "Mine" and depending on the article of clothing you gain a certain amount of points, it doesnt need to just be on chav's tho, it can be worn by anyone. An example of a scoring system is:
    Cap: 1
    Handbag: 2
    Duffel Coat (they do exsist: 20
    Scarf: 5

but you can create your own system depending on how common each item is, the less points for the more common items. This game can only be played with other people who hate chavs as much as yourself. Infact in my local city, we had to create and exclusion zone becuase there was jsut to much Burbury in the little area for the game to still be fair.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

it's just a sign of the times guys, keep your pants on. I myself was an eighties fashion victim, so i guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. Those guys your labeling now, merely because of the way they dress, might be your next employer in 10 years or so. Just because some smartass somewhere behind his PC has a problem with the way they look, doesn't mean they're lost forever.

14. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    My next employer in 10 years? I dont think so. These people are mocked because of there low intelligence, hence why another name for them used to be BAM, which stands for "Below Average Mentality".

15. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think you can just generalize it like that. Dress codes are often linked tightly with how one want's to be looked upon and how one want to look at oneself, and I think these chav's often uses this dress code in order to keep a certain distance to society, to look "tough" so people might won't see right through their low self esteem.
    I'm quite certain that these people can't all be low-life trash and petty thug's...
    You got to look at things in a perspective and try to see the reason as to why people dress and acts like they do.

What about being a product of unfortunate circumstances? Some of these kids might grown up in a bad home with an alcoholic father or mother. They've might been beaten, or had other terrible things happen to them. I think people in general ought to hesitate a bit, instead of just rushing to jumped conclusions about rap music or whatever having a bad influence on youngsters, and about everybody who look one way or another has to be and act alike.

16. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Good points...

17. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think I agree with Olimikrig. Save your wrath for people who deserve it, like Republicans, or the Christian conservatives. :p

18. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Stop it, stop it.... it's not true, it's not true... :(

I happen to have been born and raised in Gatineau (and I still live here), and we're not like that... honest! :cool: (and by the way, if we see people with mullets in the streets, we stone them. So the mullet thing is bs. :p And I rarely see ripped jeans...)

But I admit, we do have a gino problem. I guess gino is our term for chavs... They're people who drive in Camaroes or Cavaliers, they listen to very loud bass music, they wear mostly white, they have too much gel in their hair and they have finely cut facial hair. They might not look like rednecks, but they sure are, believe me! :mommy:

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Actually we do have a name for them in New Zealand, however they are rather few as HB pointed out. They are called "Newmarket Freshies" and are usually 15-19 years old and hang out in an area of Auckland called Newmarket. They only reason they can afford their expensive rings, chains etc. etc. is because mummy and daddy buy them. They actually talk like they can't spell eg. saying "wot" instead of "what" or "dis" instead of "this". Frankly they're down the bottom of the social respect ladder with bums and doll bludgers.

20. Harbourboy

Newmarket Freshies??!! Never heard of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.