1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What are your stats?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You know, I don't mean to be this offensive, but I can't see why we are all assigning hero-high stats to ourselves (some of these stats rival an average D&D adventurer's). Has it occurred to you that you've simply rolled a bunch of 20s in a few instances and a few 1s in other instances?

I think it's pretty amusing that I can close my eyes, point to a random person in this thread, and he/she will say he/she has either above-average stats or very polarized ones (18 Int, 4 Cha). Granted, we might be a bunch of nerds and have a slightly higher Int but a slightly lower Str or Cha, but even then, well, you can't expect souped-up stats like the ones I find here.

I guess the idea is that everyone in a crowd except you is a level one Commoner with completely average stats. Like me.

Not to mention that D&D stats are designed to be very abstract (there is no upper-body Strength, there is not lower-body Strength, there is just Strength; there is no conceptual Intelligence, there is no intrapersonal Intelligence, there is just Intelligence).

I must be getting too crazy about this though.

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Oaz
    Don't spoil our fun :p Indeed some may be beefed up a little but if you think about a worldy comparison and take the 'average' stat and call it 10 our intelligence scores will be about 2 points higher since we are all VERY RICH (i.e. able to AFFORD education) compared to the rest of the world. Not to mention health and fitness wise, we - usually - get 3 meals a day. Some people would eat their arm just to get the nutrients from it but they realise if they did that they wouldn't have dinner for tomorrow night.

What is 18/100 STR then? Or even 19 STR (20 if you're talking DnD v.3)? Is the world champion weight-lifter the world's only 19 STR (must have a bit of orc in him)? Is the world's greatest acrobatic or fastest 100m runner our only 19 DEXs? World Champion Foodstuffs Consumer 19 CON? Dr. Hawking (I think its Hawking, the fellow with the wheelchair and the electronic voice remote assistance thingie...) our only 18 or 19 WIS and INT? 18 CHA... Arnie? Brad Pitt? Silvia Saint?

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

i would only give 16 charisma to silvia saint

but she'd get a 5 star proficiency in other areas
    :D

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Off topic, but I've read some of Bombur's stuff on another forum and he gets the 17 INT & 16 WIS. :good:

@Oaz ... yeah, lighten up! ;)
    Seriously, I had planned on giving myself a 12 STR or such, but reading the criteria I score a 17. *shrug* Want me to lie and say I'm not a super-hero? ;)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Oaz - I'm with you, some of these people have pretty high stats for as you say, "a level one Commoner".

@ Matetais - not everyone's stats are inflated. Based on the information you provide, your 17 in strength seems rather well justified.

@ JSBB - the Mensa test is pretty fair all in all. The vast majority of the test uses picture analogy. For example Picture A is to Picture B as Picture C is to... and you have three or four choices.

There's another section on currency, which is timed, where it says if you had this many coins, and you had this much money, what are the denominations of the coins. It is adjusted by country so you are using the currency system you are familiar with. For example, if you're not from the United states, you may not know what a penny, nickel or dime is.

It takes away any advantage one would have over a language based test, as that also tests how fluent you are in a given language. While no intelligence test is perfect, I believe Mensa has made the strides necessary to make as level a playing field as is possible.

I completely agree with you that you can't correlate % roles of dice with % of population. I honestly thing the IQ/10 is more accurate than a percentage based on the roll of a dice. Heck, with a sytem of 3-18 as possible scores, I don't think there's anyone out there who honestly believes that everyone falls into one of 16 discreet intelligence brackets...

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    After almost 40 years on this planet, two college degrees, a three-page resume, marriage, motherhood, and managing my own household for close on 20 years, I hardly feel like I'm Level 1.

Common, I'll give you. But Level 1? No way.

7. Baldrak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Here are my stats as I see them...

Strength: 12
    I am stronger than average, but I'm no superman as to the weight I can press or stuff like that... I can lift most of my friends though.

Dexterity: 7
    Don't throw things at me, I won't catch them... (most of the time)

Constitution: 16
    I'm like a diesel engine. Once I get going there's no stopping me. I walk long distances for fun (30-40 km a day)

Intelligence: 15
    This one was difficult but I stuck with the IQ/10 method. I was tested more than 10 years ago and then I had an IQ of 138. I think that my IQ is like good wine, it improves over time :)

Wisdom: 12
    Usually I make the right decisions and I tend to have common sense, but sometimes I lack the willpower to finish things...

Charisma: 10
    I'm not particularly charismatic, just average I suppose... It's difficult to see how you are at influencing others and how they see you...

Over all I have been fairly postive with an average of 11,8. It's good for my self-esteem to think of myself as being above average :p

With these stats, I would be a fairly good invoker and Neutral Good is how I see myself in the restricted alignment system of AD&D.

edit: typos

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay here goes. I find this very hard to do, because you're basically throwing a number which represents a lot of things. For example, I'm not overly strong, but I can hit something with my fists or a stick with high precision. Does that make me strong? No. Does it mean I have a good hand-eye coordination? Yes. So here's my estimate of what I'd be in DnD standards.

STR 14
    I can benchpress up to 80kg at the time. I used to be able to do more, but I've not been working out for the past two years. 80kg is about 14 str.
    DEX 15
    I have very good reflexes. I catch and dodge things I never even saw coming. I can thank my MartialArts training for that.
    CON 12
    I have a high tolerance for pain, but I do get sick on occasion. I also have a good stamina.
    INT 11
    I'm not very smart, but I am in my third year of college, so I guess that counts for something.
    WIS 13
    This varies a bit. When it comes to love, I deserve a 4 or something ;) When it comes to things in general and most importantly seeing what's the wisest course of action I think the 13 is more appropriate.
    CHA 11
    I do have an ability to lead, but I prefer not to. While I'm certainly not ugly, I don't consider myself one of the prettiest boys out there. I'm also a tad shorter than most guys. I'm not an overly popular guy, but I get along with most people.

Also :)
    WeaponProficiency: ShortSwords, Unarmed Fighting, Expertise, PowerAttack, Twoweaponfighting.

Edit: Rephrasing...

[ November 12, 2003, 18:19: Message edited by: Faragon ]

9. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Str - 10
    Pretty average. Maybe a 9.
    Dex - 17
    I have no problems doing flips on flat ground and I´ve been training martial arts for some years.
    Con - 14
    This is hard to measure. My stamina is pretty good, I can run 10Km on like 40 min. I haven´t been sick for years.
    Int - 13
    Used to be higher, but the booze has gotten to me :) My memory is pretty damaged. Got a 9 (which is max) when I got tested before I got into the army. Although, that was 3 years ago.
    Wis - 12
    Another one hard to measure. I know most of the times what to do, but if I do it or not is another thing.
    Cha - 15
    I have good abilities leading people. Was a platoon leader in the army and have worked as one for a while. I dont think my looks are outstanding, but I´ve never had a problem with women.

Guess I´d do as a Rouge with a cross-bow since I´m a great marksman with my Ak5.
    Or maybe a bard, but I´m not very talented when it comes to poetry, so I´ll just go with the rouge.

10. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

When we think about what is high, low and average, we haven't really done anything to specificy which rule set we're working with, which affects the stats a bit. We also need to consider that the crowd here is not a fair sampling of the average human -- especially not the average medieval human. We all have far superior educations, and most of us probably have much higher intelligence, than your average serf.

In ADD1, at least, what made the adventurer "exceptional" was largely training, which the average person did not have. Around here, most of us have training of some sort that contributes to the stats in which we rate ourselves highly. Musicians and athletes get a pump in dexterity; people who work out regularly have high strength and constitution; good diets, innoculations, medical advances, etc. lead to higher constitution; universities and other forms of schooling lead to higher intelligence and wisdom than average; leadership in huge organizations (which are fairly common now, but were not then) provides opportunities to develop greater charisma, etc. In a very real sense, most of us are well above average in a medieval context. I mean, really, the gnomes would probably deify us if we revealed even a tiny portion of the technological knowledge most of us have picked up just by living in the modern age.

Moreover, most of us have rated ourselves far below the average adventurer. The average adventurer does not have straight 10's. Official character creation rules render much higher scores than that.

[ November 12, 2003, 18:54: Message edited by: Bombur ]

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'll give this my best shot:

Str- 12 or 13
    I've gotten stronger as I've gotten older, and I was always above average (although not significantly so). I haven't lifted weights (other than my kids) in ages, but I regularly play basketball and do more than hold my own in the low post, so this seems about right.

Dex-13 or 14
    I am well-coordinated and played high school tennis. I probably was not good enough to play college tennis, though (didn't try out because I was brainwashed into taking the work too seriously). I pick up sports easily but cannot say that I am in that top tier of people who are "natural" athletes. I regularly play tennis and basketball, so my reactions are in good shape. I play guitar (when I have a chance), played saxophone, type well, and am "handy" around the house (I think the ability to fix things with your hands probably falls into the dexterity category).

Int-16
    The only time my IQ was really measured it came in at 163, so I suppose the divide by ten rule makes in 16 (I got 1530 on the SAT's, went to an Ivy League college and UCLA law school, was invited into MENSA, but told them to fly a rhomboid shaped quadrilateral).

Wis-13 or 14
    This is tough. I know that it's definitely gone up over the years, and having two kids boosted it even more. I also think this stat is a common sense indicator. Thus, I think the 13 or 14 is justified.

Con-14
    I've got reasonably good endurance (no problem playing several hours of full court basketball or multiple sets of tennis). My kids bring home sicknesses that hit my wife but skip me, and I heal from minor injuries quickly.

Cha- 13 or 14
    This is really relative. When I am just relaxing and hanging out, I can be, if not anti-social, certainly not actively social. However, when I need to be "on" I do fine and my wife thinks I look good. My colleagues describe me as a good public speaker (I am a litigator and need to speak in front of others on a fairly regular basis, whether in court or otherwise). I make friends easily.

That's an average of ~13.83. That means I've got an inflated self-image, oh well.

I'd probably be a mage if I started early enough.

I am certainly in the lawful good category, but, as said earlier, in a very Southern California kind of way.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Bombur brings up some good points. Even people who are giving themselves high scores, aren't really what we would expect from a typical adventurer. The highest scores out there are about an average of 14, or a total of around 84. That's certainly not god-like. Many of the PC's have totals exceeding 90, and even in the upper 90's in some cases. Heck if you go through BGI first and use all of the books, you get an 8 point boost, and it's possible to even exceed 100 in such a case. So maybe saying "10 is average" isn't accurate - but only if we feel we're not average. I don't know - I just started this thread as a joke - I didn't mean for it to blow up into a philisophical confrontation...

13. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This has been done many many times before but it is always entertaining. First I would say that an average is an *average* not what everyone has. There will be some poor bastards who have below 8 in everything and some lucky sonofa*****es who have 16+ in everything. I have met and known both kinds. As for the int thing I think it is safe to assume that the average int among the people who goes to an internet board (need to know how to use computers and internet), which has very strict rules (a decent ability with language), about crpgs (the geeks turf) should have an average intelligence higher than the average of humanity.

Str: 12 I am a rather large male human so that is where my strenght comes from, weaker than what I appear to be though.

Dex: 5 I am extremely unagile and have no ball sense whatsoever or sense coordination.

Con: 10 This one is tough, I completely lack stamina, on the endurance and stamina part of con I would be very low, but I am quite healthy, rarely get diseases, can drink more than what is good for me and is reasonable tough.

Int: 12 I tend to get around 120 on IQ tests so according to that divide thing that is what I got. I am extremely bad (in my own opinion) on anything touching upon math and most of the natural sciences. I am very good at the "looser" subjects though where I can think, ponder and reason myself.

Wis: 14 I have a lot of common sense, too much for my own good most of the time. I am more or less unable to do things on the spur of the movement and think things through a lot before committing to action. Tend to be quite good at see what people want and think and I am also quite good at deduction.

Cha: 12 I am not very good looking even if I wouldnt call myself ugly and I am at heart rather anti-social. However I have a very easy time to get friends and very few people dont like me.

Wow, all these posts are quite a lot of bragging but I dont know if I wasnt able to top Chevalier with this one. ;) :p

14. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Here's an online charisma test that you can try: http://www.mentoruniversity.com/tony/quiz/Default.htm

I was surprised to find that I scored "moderate" to "good" in most charisma categories, together with one "low" and one "outstanding". Hey, maybe I'm a more magnetic guy than I thought.

Here's a slightly bizarre wisdom test: http://www.testsplus.com/intelligence/wisdom.asp

I got 22 which corresponds to "high" wisdom. Hey, it must be accurate!

As for online IQ tests, here's the best I've found:
    http://www.iqtestclub.com/
    It's the only one I've come across that recognizes that some questions have more than one valid answer.

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well on those tests I show an IQ of 147, an equal number of moderate and good charismas with one outstanding, and 19 which I believe was the highest mark in the average range for wisdom.

The IQ test seemed fairly standard for the short internet variety. However, I would be quick to point out that both the wisdom or charisma tests only test a small portion of the qualities of their respective subjects.

For example, it is all very well and good to have approaches that would lead to the tests good or outstanding charisma scores but in a real world situation actual delivery and content will tend to be rather significant as well.

[ November 13, 2003, 03:32: Message edited by: JSBB ]

16. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I got 114 on the IQ test, so I'll change my stats accordingly. I noticed that the IQ test didn't tell you your strengths and weaknesses.

I got all Moderate and one Good on my Charisma test.

I got 9 in the wisdom test, which makes sense considering I lack expierience.

Voila! My new stats...

STR 15
    DEX 9
    CON 12
    INT 11
    WIS 8
    CHA 11

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] Let me casting Fox's Cunning and Owl's Wisdom before I make another statement:

Just because we have access to books and information doesn't make us smarter. Reading a book doesn't make you smarter. Practicing the violin doesn't make you more dextrous. You get to have ranks in Knowledge or Perform (I assume this is 3E D&D here), or similar things.

I concede that we may not be level 1 commoners. Most of us might have levels in Expert or Aristocrat (again, the reference to 3E D&D), because we're at the top of the world in terms of consumption, money, supplies, etc.

Older people (you know who) level up, obviously, because they've been through more stuff that young'uns have. Older people get improvements to mental stats (in 3E D&D again), but they decrease in physical stats. I can see however, with the advent of new exercises, workouts, etc., we might not have those.

But in the end, I'm sure giving yourself a 15 in Int and a 16 in Cha is fun, especially when you admit that you have a Wis of 6. :square:

18. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

These are Dalveen's real stats:

Str - 8 - the boy's a weed

Dex - 14 - I'll give him this, as he is a nippy wee bugger.

Con - 11 - this would be higher, but he squeels like a girl (no offence ladies) when he is put in pain, but he does have good stamina.

int - 12 - he's a smart cookie.

wis - 4 - the common sense of a donkey (and don't give me any of that pish about how Jesus chose a donkey and that).

Cha - 2 - Everyone who meets him has the sudden urge to slap him, and must be done on occasion to preserve a balance of forces (and because it's rather enjoyable)

19. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    okok those stats are right apart from the wisdom is 10 it would be 12 but i act like a dumba** occasionally (okok i concede to most of the time)

20. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Took the Charisma, Wisdom and IQ test, so I'm gonna update my stats.

STR 14---stays 14, but just barely
    DEX 11---goes down from 12, I just dropped my mouse
    CON 12---stays 12
    INT 13---goes up from from 12, 131 IQ
    WIS 15---down from 16, got a 23 on the test
    CHA 14---up from 12, got 2 outstandings and 5 goods

Still think I'd probably sneeze and give our position away in the dungeon, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.