1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What does your real name mean?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Silvery, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

:lol: Nice, Tal.

Hello. How are you? I am fine. My name is Jerry.

Nah, it's Adam. Which means... man, earth, leader of men, aaaand... the first dude to get laid :)

2. Nataraja Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Media:
    Same as Saber's name, and after 28 years I still wish my parents gave me a more traditional name instead of breaking with family tradition, it doesnt suit me and its awkward. They decided to give me the middle name of Preston, and I loathed that name even more.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I would think that would be appropriate - aren't all Canadians "light skinned"?

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Uhh, not the first ones -- head on down to AoDA for my discussion on Native issues in Canada -- they are most assuredly NOT light skinned!

No, my last name is not Griffin, Tal! You're just getting revenge on me for suggesting you'd tweak your own reputation score!

My last name is Shaw, and I go around telling everyone that I'm a descendant of George Bernard Shaw, even though I have actually no proof to back that claim up. I know my Dad has the old Scottish tartan and coat of arms associated with the Shaw's, and so I'm sure he knows what it means. I've never cared enough to delve into it, though, until this thread came along. Here it is:

Shaw Meaning: dweller at or near a small wood or thicket; one who came from Shaw (small wood); descendant of Sithech (wolf).

There. I'm a wise old rock living by a thicket of trees.

5. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

First Name:

Etymologically, the name is a compound of the Greek verb ἀλέξω (alexō) "to push back","to hold off" and the noun ἀνδρός (andros), genitive of ἀνήρ (anēr) "man". Thus it may be roughly translated as the man who was unbeatable[1].
    The earliest attested record of the name is the Mycenaean Greek of the feminine Alexandra, written in Linear B.[2][3]
    The name was one of the titles ("epithets") given to the Greek goddess Hera and as such is usually taken to mean "one who comes to save warriors". In the Iliad, the character Paris is known also as Alexander. The name's popularity was spread throughout the Greek world by the military conquests of King Alexander III , commonly known as "Alexander the Great". Most later Alexanders in various countries were directly or indirectly named for him.

Surname:

Derivation of Burns

1. Scottish and northern English origin. The name is a topographical name for someone who lived near a stream. The name Burns is derived from the Middle English burn.[1]

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I hate reading middle english. Damn Chaucer!

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Apparently mine's to do with beastiality. Or something. Nice.

The boy's name Philip \ph(i)-lip\ is pronounced FIL-ip. It is of Greek origin, and its meaning is "horse lover".

Nataraja likes this.
  8. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Awesome Barmy -- you probably don't want to go to the website of that name (but, then again, maybe you do...).

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] My name is taken to either mean 'feminine' or 'masculine' usually diplomatically put as 'strong or powerful woman' :p

Middle names mean 'noble' (or possum in some african dialects) 'bitter' and 'god is gracious' following solemnly behind.

Overall my name resembles a reclusive, powerful possum with religious fervor and a penchant for velvet.

10. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Possum? I feel a Dame Edna moment coming on!

11. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    My name is Marc-André, so Marc is latin for ''From the God Mars'', and André is greek for ''Man, warrior''. So I'm a martian fighter, level 1... :lol:

My last name came from the norman people in france and is derived from a fabric weaver.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.