1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What game are you playing right now? #2

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm starting to get properly peeved at Farcry 2 as some of my saves won't load. Bought FEAR and Assassin's Creed today to take the edge off. I've played a bit of AC and it's pretty fun, still getting the hang of it though. I've yet to try FEAR.

2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I started playing "7.62mm High Calibre" its a russian developed game recently released in the UK, its a squad based tactical strategy game, in the same vein as X-Com, Jagged Alliance, or Chaos Gate. Except rather than being turn based it uses an active pause method, where actions take a certain amount of time and at any point you can pause the game to issue orders of assess the situation.

I really haven't got very far but you start off with 1 mercenary (you) and you can hire others you find in bars throughout the game. You buy equipment from various traders, con artists, blackmarket dealers, maffia members and army logistics people throughout the game and its selection of weapons is supposedly impressive though being so early in the game I haven't seen many. You can also buy attachments for guns like silencers, scopes, bipods, grips, laser sights etc.

All in all its a big game, and there are two sides at war and you can run missions for one or the other or both to advance the story or even make an attempt to take over the country yourself! Lots of fun all round! (Though the translation is a bit wonky sometimes lol) :)

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Oh God, I've been playing Civ 4 too (with expansions). I've taken special care not to install it on my laptop, otherwise I'd never get any work done.

What makes the game even more addictive is that it runs perfectly smoothly in windowed mode. Is there no end to their cruel torment?

(btw, I quite like Catherine's Imperialistic + Creative traits - fast early cities with everexpanding borders)

4. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Bioshock. I just finished Dead Space, but I think I will try and get all the trophies for it, which means at least 2 more playthroughs, which is fine by me :)

5. nunsbane

nunsbane

Finished Drakensang - a very worth while game.....if you haven't played it then you should try it. Onto another playthru of some Black Isle game or another.

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

playing Europa Universalis III with the Whole World Mod. suddenly the game ain't so easy.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Killing Floor. So much cheaper and better than Left for Dead. Finding a server is still way too complicated though.
    Get it if you have Steam.

8. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's on my to-do list :)

9. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I've been drawn back into Morrowind - this time with Tribunal and Bloodmoon. With exams and all, it spells out "goodbye sleep" on the dome of the Skar.

10. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Fable: The Lost Chapters.

11. The Kilted Crusader

Finished Assassin's Creed a wee while ago. It's pretty good fun but really repetitive. Investigations were boring the first time, never mind having to do them every time. I started FEAR just after but realised I'm a bit sick of FPS's - especially when it seems like that's all there is to play on the 360.

12. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I started Sniper Elite, Dawn of War 2 and Men of War tonight...yes I'm playing 3 games at once :p

Sniper Elite is just an awesome WW2 sniper game...shame you get cast as an american pretending to be a german during the invasion of Berlin by the russians...the developers were apparently too scared to let you play a nazi sniper :(

Dawn of War 2 is turning out to be a good game, I like the RTS/Diablo feel its gots during the campaign, slowly working your way across the map is fun especially when you throw in random loot and special abilities...smaller units and the use of the CoH cover system makes battles feel a lot more dynamic.

Men of War is an awesome RTS...if you don't know of it or its predecessors Soldiers: Heroes of World War II or Faces of War then check them out...Its an RTS with a direct control mode which lets you line up those tank shots or sniper shots yourself (I think CoH just introduced this but its rubbish compared). Add to that an AMAZING damage/physics model meaning that tank shells are affected by distance, armour angle, armour thickness, previous damage to armour, and are capable of going through one tank and into another...well its...great :D

Battles are tough (maybe an understatement) even on Easy...I haven't even tried normal...Infantry get cut down in seconds if your not careful, tanks are tough but far from invincible, units range from various infantrymen, light, medium and heavy tanks, artillery pieces, bikes, trucks etc.

One of the other main features is the ability to loot...yes folks if you disable that enemy tank and get the crew to bail (best way is to destroy the turret) you can get your infantry to jump in and drive off with it, you then repair it behind your lines and BAM free tanks! :D Every unit has its own inventory too so you have to keep an eye on ammo, though squads will share their ammo between them so its not too much micro :)

Anyway I've ranted on about how awesome it is but you definately check it out if you like RTS's and are looking for something new, its UI is a bit clunky, and the voice acting is horrendous but theres a really shiney diamond beneath. There's a demo about somewhere, its the first level of the Russian campaign :)

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Started exploring the wide world of Freespace 2 mods. First up was Blue Planet, which had all sorts of 'omg1337' hype attached.

It's, ah, hugely overrated. The writing is poor. The story itself is uninteresting, though it has some initial potential. The actual combat is perfectly fine, of course.

14. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Baldurs Gate II ToB: As I try to get over my sad addiction to World of Borecraft I have blown the dust off my most valuble game in my collection and it seems to be working a treat, thus my sudden return to the boards after... 4 years?! :hello:

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Dead Space and Last Remnant, but mostly Team Fortress 2 with the new update. Valve made many mistakes with this one and there isn't even any "Temporary hiccup, normal services will continue soon" post anywhere, nerdrage.jpg and stuff.

16. The Kilted Crusader

Been playing Dawn of War over the past couple of days and just started Mount & Blade.

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

A fair lot of Diablo 2 the past month, and now I'm trying to finish up my Chrono Trigger game, and start Final Fantasy VI.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Kings Bounty was on sale. Hexagon turn based rts whit a rpg sauce. It is ok, nice in between game.

19. The Kilted Crusader

Finished Dawn of War - really good fun even though I don't really like RTS games. I started Winter Assault but the Imperial Guard are a bit soft after playing Space Marines for so long.

20. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The Imperial Guard are ok, they have some pretty interesting abilities, like being able to relocate their forces very quickly through bunkers. The problem is more the single player campaign of Winter Assault, which is way too difficult (for both Chaos and Order sides).

Been playing Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit on my netbook lately, and while it is fun, people who claim that NFS 2 or 3 was the pinnacle of the NFS series are full of (**)it. It feels more like you're piloting a block of pixels rather than driving a car. I can accept NFS 4 or 5 as the pinnacle, but not this. It still beats playing patience or minesweeper by a mile and a half, though.

On my regular PC, I've finally started the main quest of Oblivion, after having already finished almost every other quest available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.