1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is everyone's guess about the console wars?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enthasius, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Alright, alright!!

Please quit moaning, as my memory serves, Ive never heard of Intellivision, or any war they had with Atari.

Im hust some English guy, who can only boil food, and sunbathe with clothes on, and play a sport no-body understands and that we blow at it, and I could go on about the insults put against the Uk for ever, such as we English either talk like yuppies or cockney, which is NOT true, I should know.

REGARDLESS: Keep this post updated with any new facts about the consoles which may change people's minds about what they think will happen in the not to distant future

[ December 01, 2002, 13:06: Message edited by: Enthasius ]

2. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Frog, no one said it had just kiddy games, what we're all getting at, is that there isn't enough games for an older audience.

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hmm i haven't read all the replies to this topic (way to many). Everyone (seems to) reckon X-Box or PS2.

My views. I was going to get a GC. Then i played one and the d-pad is horrible. Apart from that the controller is fine. Then for me the real reason i was going to get it was that (AFAIK at that point) Rare were still tied to nintendo and the GC. They moved to X-Box argh that is annoying. Rare release over 80% of the best games for N64 IMHO. Including (as Enthasius asked for) Conkers Bad Fur Day, which was -

If you haven't played it you missed out on the ultimate adult humour game of all time IMHO. It had a singing poo, it had a bee having sex with a flower, it had saving private ryan where you could blast people into itty bitty pieces and watch the blood spurt. It was sick but it was funny and what's more it was amazing.

X-Box the biggest games for it are coming to PC anyway (halo was oringally a PC game not an X-box game) so why buy an x-box if you've got a pc anyway (which you must have to be reading this topic) ?. Also the controllers are yuk. Finally on a more personal note - it runs under windows therefore it will crash and it will burn a lot more often than the other 2.

PS2 - a lot of very good games, nice controllers, powerful system. I will probably get PS2 out of any of them.

4. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

Yeah, but vice-city has something which Conkers bad fur day could not have....realism.

Its based as a comicy game, Vice city is a lot more serious.

5. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Nintendo is just now starting to appreciate that there's a mature audience out there. I won't argue about the for kids image thing but I will argue about the types of games that are on the Gamecube. Anyone seen what they're doing to the Legend of Zelda? or rather what they've done? what about Mario? bad stuff!
    As for PC versus console I have to say that my PS2 and Xbox are infinitely more stable than my PC. There's something else that needs to be considered in regards to console graphics: how much of the console's potential are the game developers using? From a purely hardware perspective the Xbox has superior hardware to the PS2 but very few companies have actually used this in game developing, or at least most didn't at first.
    I think that the Xbox at the very least could match the PC in graphics quality. Need an example: OK, Morrowind is what I'm thinking of. All the nice looking graphics, all the gameplay elements and *none* of the bugs in the PC version.

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Actually Morrowind for PC can out do the one for X-box given its a powerful machine. The resolution max is higher than the one X-box is set at.

Lazy Bonzo: I agree with you on Xbox. Most of the games I wanted are comming to the PC. I already got Morrowind. Both Halo and Splinter Cell are headed to the PC as well. The only other game for the X-box that looks good and isn't comming to the PC is Mech Assault and thats only because I got a thing for Battletech.

What do you call this?

I'm part of the "older audience" and yet I find a lot of Nintendos games fun. It's not like you are forced to play games not targeted at your demographic. And like a said, it's only an image. Gameplay and Fun Factor is in good supply.

There are lots of kiddy games for GCN, I don't deny that, yet most of you are making foolish assumtions.

These ones cracked me like an egg.

7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

And thank god for that! :D

Back to topic --> SNES all the way.

8. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

When people say that Nintendo is only capable of creating kids games (a quote from many people) we say that they are kid-ish, not boring or no fun to play.

Hell, I quite enjoy playing my GBA, or a good go on Sonic Adventure 2:Battle (If I still had the gamecube, but my bro sold it)

Also, lets try not to go too far into the PC aspects of things and get back to the consoles.

Appologies for mentioning about a PC, it seemed to make everyone to start talking about it.

On with the arguements!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.