1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the limit of western freedom of expresion?

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Liriodelagua, Feb 13, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Wonder if you caught the drift...

It's irresponsible to draw silly cartoons offending people and it's retarted to vandalise property in retaliation. But what is strange is that not all potential cartoon subjects get the same protection or cause the same outrage. Just imagine if the target had been a Jewish religious figure or symbol or I don't know... something about black people or Asians? And then compare with the lack of reaction Christianity bashing gets. Then again, Christianity-bashing cartoons and other such are so boring, repetitive and tasteless they don't even amuse people who would normally like them. It looks like more bashing is okay if there's no violent reaction. I can imagine a magazine editor telling the cartoonist, "Muhammad is a no-no. Draw Jesus instead."

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Some discouraging stories from a teeny weeny country...

Finnish newspapers haven't published the Mohammed cartoons (other than pictures of people reading newspapers that have). Tv News broadcasts have shown them, but there's been no outrage over it. Some rather peaceful protesting against the pictures in general, not the Finnish media.

Then, a Finnish nationalist organization called Suomen Sisu put the pictures on their website, and now there's a police investigation going on. In addition to the freedom of religion, Finland has a law against publically offending a person's faith. It's quite possible that nothing comes out of this investigation. It comes down to whether the pictures were posted with the intent to offend.

Apparently what this Suomen Sisu bunch did was a reaction to what happened in Sweden - the authorities shut down the website of a newspaper called SD-Kuriren that had published the pictures earlier.

Another thing that's been on the papers...a publisher was going to release a book about Mohammed with a drawing on the cover - a very respectful drawing of the man's face - but as soon as this cartoon frenzy started, they pulled out and replaced the picture with a text. They claimed it wasn't related to the cartoon thing, that they did it of their own volition and would have done so anyway. Then they issued an apology(!) to the muslim community. For the cover they didn't use!

Some time ago when the controversial "Virgin Cage" book by Ayaan Hirsi Ali was published in Finland, there was a passage mysteriously missing...a "technical error", they said. Conveniently this passage was the most controversial one - speaking of Mohammed having a child wife. The story is here.

Saber:
    Sadly I'm inclined to agree. Especially the bomb cartoon seems very true of some of those places.

chevalier:
    What is this assumption based on?

3. chevalier

Media:
    On the fact people get away with bashing Christianity the most easily of all bashing.

4. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Aikanaro:
    It's really simple, and occurs often, in my opinion. Imagine a newspaper says somebody is a terrorist, or that he has sexual relationships with kids. Or publishes a picture of somebody in a coma state before he dies. There's been plenty of cases in which this happens (meh, I studied it last year at college, borrring! and hard to understand lawyers' mumbo-jumbo).

Suisipaisti:
    Exactly! This is what "real malice" is all about. It's a shield, kind of. Because the offended has to prove the offended had the intention to harm. This is very hard to prove, of course. But if you make a contest like this danish paper did... mmm I think their intentions are very clear. I'm not a judge, so let them decide.

PS: isn't Bush bashing the easiest of all bashing? Good question, philosophycal even.
    PS: edited typos

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Liriodelagua - you are missing a significant difference between the cartoons at issue and your examples of slander/libel. In your examples, there is a distinct individual who is having false things said about him. With these cartoons, there is no individual about whom anything is being said (except, maybe, Mohammed, and he's been dead for a while and can't sue for damages under any legal system of which I am aware).

You may not like the lawyers' mumbo-jumbo, but that's what makes up the laws that govern your life.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Since when is offense equivalent to harm?

7. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Only if you judge all muslims by the actions of a (loud, vocal, and sometimes violent) minority.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Nonsense, the only possible reaction you'd get would be a retaliatory mocking. Yes, there are probably militant atheists about, but I couldn't name one. The "big" atheist names probably wouldn't pay it any attention - that would give it too much credance. Over-the-top "bad" reactions tend to come from a group mentality. Atheism doesn't tend to be something that draws groups of people and I can't say I remember an "Atheist" rally.

Back on topic. I see a major difference between the two. One is mocking someones beliefs, the other is mocking someones traumatic experiences. In 100 years time I don't think it would be an issue, but there are still people alive who went through absolute hell in concentration camps, and for their sakes I think it is wrong. However, the best reaction is to ignore it completely. If you don't give a reaction, then your antagonists give up after a while. Shame the press hasn't learned it yet, but then it wouldn't sell papers otherwise.

9. Liriodelagua Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

To dmc- yes, you're right, I, like a bad student, forgot to mention that. But if you cry loud enough, you can get to have at least a public apology and some kind of warning for future viewers (which seems logical and fair). I think this is possible.
    And AMaster, I don't really understand your question. I believe that a cartoon of Mahoma is an offense to those who believe M. should not be portrayed in any way. Add to that he has a bomb on his head-scarf (sorry, I don't know the word in english). And last, add the fact it was a western newspaper who ran a M. cartoon contest. It's mentally disturbing, if you believe in such things. Comparisons can be made, like when they burn some "private property" and we jump off our chairs. I think we "believe" in private property, otherwise I don't see why it pisses us to see that. It's something to think about for a while. I'm not sure.

10. chevalier

Media:
    Just a note: intention doesn't have to be direct. Let's say you burn your neighbour's house when he's inside and you know he's there but you still burn it. That's dolus directus, let's say direct intent. Directly intended murder, in this case. Or you can burn it without caring if anyone's inside and people burn inside. One can't say you specifically intended to burn people, but you weren't giving a damn, so you accepted the possibility. This is dolus eventualis, or let's call it hypothetical intent. And mind you that there are crimes you can commit by negligence, although offending people doesn't normally fall under this category.

In case of cartoons, offending people is incalculated risk. The directly intended act is at least ridiculing something (or presenting it in a specific, usually exaggerated light), which may well normally lead to causing offence but the author doesn't care. In that he still intends to offend people.

11. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I don't care how offended a person is, that offense does not give them the right to start blowing things up or killing people.

I get offended on a frequent basis -- things that I hold sacred are regularly being slagged in the media, by my acquaintences, by my friends even. But starting a violent riot? If these Muslims (the minority, BTW, as I know plenty of Muslims who would not start a violent riot) seek to extort our respect by threatening us with violence every time something is said that irks them, they are sadly misguided -- you cannot force respect and sensitivity by killing someone . . . .

I agree that the cartoons were in bad taste, but I am also of the firm opinion that if we buckle to threats made by extremists of any type, we'll lose freedoms faster than it takes to burn the Constitutions (and other such documents enshrining human rights) those freedoms are written on.

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Extremist minority or not, all that these mindless killings and violence by the Muslims over those silly caricatures have achieved is to reinforce the stereotype of a barbaric, fanatically religious Muslim in the eyes of all the non-Muslim world.

The proper responses that should have been made by the Muslim religious leaders haven't happened. The wide majority of them either silenty supported the rioting, or even publicly called out for violence in retaliation. There was but a handful of those who tried to peacefully resolve the situation. And there is no apology for that. If the majority of the Muslim religious leaders united and made it a point to preach peaceful protests, they would have achieved their purpose and gained respect in the eyes of the world, and perhaps actually convince some Westerners that Islam truly is a religion of peace.

Unfortunately, at this point, it sounds like a bad joke. Like it or not, acts commited in the name of a religion reflect back on both the people who commit them, as well as that particular religion.

13. chevalier

Media:
    It does look like you're getting your head chopped for saying the chopper's religion isn't one of peace, sort of.

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    No, comparisons cannot be made between the burning of private property and a cartoon caricaturing Mohammed, unless the comparisons are to the effect of, "wow, those're completely different"

Unless someone has a rather serious mental defect, viewing a caricature of a religious figure will not cause them any measurable harm. Burning someone's private property, however, quite clearly does cause measurable harm.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Erm...no, not really, we just let it happen. We sit back and watch how what was first a minority in Europe, slowly turns into an entity that gets more and more control of the way we express ourselves, or the way we DARE to express ourselves.

Personally, i already know where this is going to eventually, and it's almost inevitable. Maybe not in our lifetime, but we can't avoid it.

16. Drew

Media:
    @Tal: Don't forget that Muslim dissenters fear retaliation from extremists themselves. They face negative repercussions whether they stay silent or dissent publicly. The difference, though, is that when they keep their mouths shut the western world won't react violently. Dissent loudly enough and certain extremist groups are likely to "silence" you. Basically, non-militant muslims are screwed either way.

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

So Drew, the best way to get them to apologise is with threats? Not saying this is your opinion but it does seem like the only solution, something Pac Man is hinting at.

In theory, if these Islamist militants are a 'minority' that are 'shunned' by the Muslim community, then wouldn't the best way of eradiction be to offend them as much as possible, bring them out into the open then exterminate them? I mean, a pre-emptive strike against a people nobody likes, who would care? They're shunned by their own religion and they are threatening western lives, why not kill them all?

18. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Y'know, I don't particularly like the KKK, but if, say, a bunch of Syrian specops troops came to America and proceeded to exterminate them, I'd be more than a little unsettled.

19. Drew

Media:
    First of all, Moderate Muslims are condemning the rioting (they needn't apologize since they aren't actually doing the rioting) and writing editorials. They just don't get mainstream coverage outside of written media. There's no way to be sure if it's because they are afraid to come out and speak or if it is because the press isn't interested in interviewing them. It is likely a combination of the two.

I will say one thing, though. Threatening Muslims is really bad idea. This will alienate moderate Muslims (to the point that they may even stop being, uh, moderate) and will cause the entire situation to escalate. The way we solve the problem is by not causing it in the first place. Denmark snubbed 10 Islamic ambassadors by refusing to talk to them after the cartoons were first released. The Danish government ws warned by several of its own diplomats as well as the EU that it needed to engage the Islamic community in a dialogue. The EU even described Denmark's treatment of the muslims living within its borders as "discriminatory". Everyone saw the writing on the wall, and nobody did anything about it. This problem never should have happened. All that was needed was a little dialogue. The Muslim world would have felt listened to and would not have had any reason to riot, boycott, etc. The cartoons weren't the problem. The problem was the way the government handled the situation. When dealing with an alien culture it is very important to keep an open dialogue for the sole purpose of heading off exactly these types of problems. Boycotts and protests didn't start on a large scale until 2 months after the cartoon's release. The problem could have been easily headed off.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry, but I think the "Muslims need special treatment and delicate handling" idea is total bull****. That's exactly the kind of wrong thinking that has been giving concessions to the Muslims who've immigrated (or been born) into various European countries, up to the point where it's only a matter of time before they start dictating policy and what everyone else can or cannot do or say - based on what won't offend almighty Allah or Mohammed. (Actually, that's exactly what's happening with these caricatures right now.)

The result of that is millions of Muslims across Europe who are not integrated into the societies that have accepted them and enable them to live and work there. European countries with large Muslim populations are realizing far too late (many still haven't) that allowing Muslims not to integrate into their societies in order to be allowed to live there was a colossal mistake - one that they'll be paying for for a long time to come, and ever more dearly.

Once Europe as a whole has had enough of having to handle Muslims like delicate china and still getting violence and hate in return for all their efforts, the policies of treating them differently than everyone else will start collapsing like dominoes across the whole of Europe. The question is merely whether it's not already too late for European countries with the largest Muslim populations. You can let cancer go untreated only for so long before it spreads beyond the point where cutting it out is still feasible.

The only way not to cause major division within a population is to hold everyone to the same rules, and punish accordingly anyone who breaks them. In case of Muslim extremists inciting or causing violence and/or hate, the only sensible policy is deportation on sight. No second chances, no excuses. Let Iran or some other extremist-breeding country have them if they want them. But most Europeans, me included, don't want them here. Since they don't like us either, it only makes sense that they're the ones to be chucked out. I for one don't want to live anywhere near anyone whose religion gives them excuse to kill me on sight for possibly saying, writing or drawing something that offended Mohammed or Allah in their eyes. And I sure as hell make no apologies for that.

[ February 17, 2006, 13:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.