1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What to do with $40,000?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by biggreenpriest, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why would you need money in the underdark???
    You meet so many drows there, and the dvarves pay acceptably for stuff you can't use anymore anyways.

2. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The dwarves pay acceptably for the stuff obtained in the Sanguin City and whatever you didn't sell in Brynlaw after spellhold, but the Drow stuff that is available is pricy. I didn't say you need a lot, but you do need some. The +5 shield and spells available there don't come cheap.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I equipped Imoen so nicely because really, there's no point in giving that armour to anyone else, since I have better armour for all my fighters.
    And since my main character is a mage, I do practically all the spellcasting, and what I don't, Aerie fills in and I still have a bunch of spells left over all the time.
    So the only time I really use Imoen for spellcasing is for casting either divination spells or protective ones, and in that case I simply take the armour off her.
    And with an AC at -4, I at least don't have to worry about her getting killed so soon, AND I have two ring slots free to equip her with the best thieving rings available...

4. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Tal, keeping a mage from spellcasing is deprivation at minimum :mad: :mad: :mad:. You're even worse than Syl, and that's saying a lot :D!!!
    Give that girl a good robe or elven armor or I'll organize a good 'n' sleazy lawyer for Imoen who'll sue your balls off :p. (the last in reference to a post in a whatsnot thread about a certain surgery)

Ragusa!! You're into law. Wouldn't it be a good starting point for your career to help the poor little girl against a big and evil nasty sorcerer!!! (sleazy of course does not apply to you ;) )

Silroth

Founder of OADoFPaM
    Organization Against Discrimination of Fallen Palladins and Mages (join now!!!)

[This message has been edited by Silroth (edited February 03, 2001).]

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sorry, but I never have considered Imoen as anything else but a thief, and I never will. Every time I played the original BG1 she was my main thief, and one helluva NPC at that. Not once have I dualed her to a mage.
    And if some doofus at Bioware thinks that in BG2 that was a good idea, well...
    I'd have to question the sanity if putting so many mage (single or dual or multi) NPCs in the game. I mean, who the hell needs three high level mages in their party? I certainly don't.
    It was bad enough they sucked up Imoen. While I had her in BG1 she was a class A thief with more than 100% in all thieving skills, but now I have to equip her for 100k gp and she's still not as good as she was in the original.

So you see, I won't take seriously any comments telling me to make her into yet another mage, as if my main conjurer and Aerie weren't enough. Now I might let her play along the mage role if I didn't have Aerie, but since I have, I certainly won't.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well Silroth, you´re basically right. taking a dc thief-mage his most powerful weapon is really, unfriendly, in some way, could be even criminal if there would be no party to back her up :D :D

I like her as my favourite back-up mage and first thief when I play a mage and as a good back-up thief and first mage when I play a thief. I agree with Tal insofar that I also liked her to be a thief like she was in BG-1, I was pretty surprised about that joke Bioware made with her...

I once "converted" her to be a pure thief like she was in BG-1 using shadowkeeper - maybe that´s cheating, but in this certain case it´s as legitimate as changing Haer´Dalis or Anomens portraits :D

7. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Three mages are barely enough for starters :cool: !!!
    And considering all the thieves, slashers and priests in the game mages are not overrepresented, although Nalia doubling Imoen was definitly unnecessary.
    But considering that Imoen stopped developping as a thief long ago, using her only as thief certainly doesn't do her justice.

8. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I dont there are any good thieves in the game because imoen sucks as a thief and nalia is crap no matter what you do with so the only way of getting a decent thief is if you make one yourself. I think Tal is right there are so many mages and the only good one is Edwin. there are enough clerics/druids but aerie is too annoying to have in the party for a long time, same with Anomen and Viconia sorta doesnt fit in with Keldorn and my paladins, Jaheira is only fun once or twice, and if Cernd is not in his greater werewolf shape he gets killed very fast.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Mages are not overrepresented?!

Out of 16 NPCs, there are 6 that are either straight single class mages (Edwin only), then dualed or multiclass, or bards (Haer'Dalis).
    In other words, 37.5% of NPCs can cast mage spells and are more-or-less mage-like characters that you need to keep at the back of the party and watch them all the time.
    Add your main character (if he's a mage) and you have 40% of mage characters in the game.

If that's not overrepresentation, then I don't know what is.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] There is no really good allround-thief in the game. I dislike Yoshi from personal experience and Jan-Jansen is something special. Nalia definitely sucks as a thief. Little sister is quite capable in disarm traps and open locks but sucks at any other discipline.
    So the only choice left is a) to team Imoen and for example Valygar or Minsc as thief/ scout or b) play a thief yourself (which really solves some of your problems in party composition but it is boring the second + time). And of course there is shadowkeeper..

11. Silroth Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Counting a bard as a mage??
    Well now...
    Then you have to add Valygar and Minsc (and Boo) to priests.
    You have 2 full mages Nalia and Edwin, Imoen, Aerie and Jan are half mages.
    With Mazzy, Korgan and Kheldorn you have three full fighters. Valygar, Minsc and Jaheira count half (I don't want to be flamed into another dimension, so I didn't add Haer'Dalis as half fighter).

You can complete the statistics for priests/druids and thieves.

So counting only the big classes its pretty evened out!!
    I sorely miss a monk, sorcerer and Grub.
    I'm not saying, that the NPCs are ideal:
    Kheldorn missing dex
    Viconia str
    Minsc dex
    Haer'Dalis con
    But if they were perfectly fitted to their task, I bet they'd be absolutly boring.

I really can't understand, why everybody puts down Nalia. With int 17 she's as good a mage as Imoen (int 17) and Edwin (int 18), but can use thieves weapons carry armor, find traps, ... . Her thieving stats fit her history well enough:
    A aristocrat girl wouldn't do much backstabbing or work as assassine. If she'd been swashbuckler/mage she'd probably have been too strong.

If you think that a char is only acceptable if he/she has 18 as primary stat, your on the lower scale of powergaming.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] You should know why no one like Nalia - she simply is a terrible thief...not to mention her talk...

13. toast Gems: 7/31

I've actually read this topic a bunch of times. It's crammed full of good info, so I

Bump.

14. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, I quit reading it a long time ago, so I'll add in my cent and a half worth now :) Anyway, I think three mages in a party(at least 2 dualed or multied) makes a great party balance. I always like to have(ideally) a fighter mage, a mage cleric, and a thief mage in my parties in some way. In BG 2, my Kensai/Mage, Ariee, and Imoen added massive spell power while still preforming other functions and not wasting space. I think 3 mages of some sort makes any party better. And I am amazed that such magical discrimination is coming from a sorcerer. Shame, shame :D

15. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah well, the situation has changed rather dramatically since those posts were made. Read the "Death of Imoen" topic. (I think it's called that).

But still, true sorcerers are SO hard to find. ;)

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited February 27, 2001).]

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Spend the money in good items to get stronger, for you can't rescue Imoen the first time, so collect some good items, and buy what you can't get by fighting (Girlde str 19, Giant Hair Crossbow, Aeger's Hide, Bracers of defense ac 3/4 etc. Whatever you need....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.