1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What to read next...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Harbourboy, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz, it's a really well written book and it's damn near traumatic reading it.

2. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I started to read the Sven Hasell books I have, second world war stuff. It's great but I'll probably finish them in a month or so. I got only 15 books and I read a 569 page book in about nine hours :D
    Afterwards I'll probably re-read my 42 Star Wars books(for the seventh time). I'm a big SW fan :tie:

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books:

Frederick Pohl - Gateway trilogy
    Frank Herbert - Dune (actually, just about anything by Herbert, but Dune is a great place to start)
    Isaac Asimov - Foundation Trilogy
    Piers Anthony - On a Pale Horse, Incarnations of Immortality
    Stephen Donaldson - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (two trilogies with another book just released).
    Ursula LeGuin - Wizard of Earthsea trilogy (plus one)
    Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (five books). These are a riot.
    Richard Adams - Watership Down (rabbits instead of hobbits)

For the role player in you...
    Fritz Leiber - Fafhred and Grey Mouser series (I think it starts with Swords and Devilry). This is the classic barbarian and thief running around together. The Grey Mouser inspired the current thief in AD&D.
    Micheal Moorcock - The champion eternal cycle. The most popular was Elric of Melnibone, but the Chronicles of Corum and Hawkmoon were great. The books have been compiled into The Eternal Champion Series (goes from ~40 books to 12 or so).

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Donaldson's Gap series is also worth looking into--though it's rather disturbing at times (of the three main characters, two are pirates--and not the Han Solo kind--and the third is a horribly abused female cop), but if you can handle, say, Martin, it shouldn't be too much for you.

*jaw hits floor*

That's quite a hefty series!

5. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Perhaps you could check out Stephen King's Dark Tower series if you haven't already. Absolutely fantastic series IMO and 7 books is way too short.

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Eternal Champion saga is quite hefty but it incompasses the heart and soul of hack and slash (along with Conan and John Carter). It is about one poor soul who is constantly reincarnated with the responsibility to save worlds -- interesting concept.

Elric's sword Stormbringer is the sword every evil player wants (a demon/god in a blade). The closest thing to it is the Black Sword from the Ultima series (but the Avatar would fall quite quickly to Stormbringer).

7. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31

I read the Dune and Foundation series.I love them (especially Frank Herbert's Dune) but a little exagerated at the end. I've only got book one of Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (the one called Lord Foul's Bane). Not bad, are the rest worth reading?

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes they are, they are nothing like what most of the fantasy today is like. Even the good one. Thomas Covenant was one of the first truly multi-faceted characters I read about.

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I would highly reccomend Chronicals of Thomas Covenant...These books, to me, were an amazing piece of writing, it really made me wince at times!

A stand alone book you could read would be The Last Legion by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, its an extremely cool, and is based at the end of the roman empire.

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Dave

would you recommend his other stuff too? Spartan and Talisman of Troy among them?

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I haven't read his other stuff, but if they are as good as Last Legion then yeah I'd reccomend them.

12. Lord Garak Gems: 7/31

Hey I think I know were to get The Last Legion. I'll buy for Christmas.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.