1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's so bad about Haer'Dalis?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Deathmaster, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Planar Prison was about the third quest I did after getting out of Jon's dungeon. I.E. I wasn't at a particularly high level at that point in time.

2. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

What's with the 'Haer' Dalis sucks, if I want a mage I pick Edwin, if I want a fighter i pick whoever etc.' argument anyway? Oh dear I picked Edwin, he got eaten by a dragon when attempting to attack in close combat. Oh dear I picked Minsc, he got shredded by a bunch of wraiths after standing around and noticing he couldn't cast spells after all.

My point? My point is that when I have a good front line of fighters, a thief, cleric and mage, I want something that'll round off the party, like Haer' Dalis. A horde of critters? Fireball. A big, tough monster? Stoneskin and offensive spin. And no, even though he can do a bit of everything, he *is* much weaker than any specialized character. Well why the rant? Because he is there for *support*. An extra fireball/dispel magic/fighter is a good thing. Not an magic artillery battery, neither a huge barbarian, but something in between. It's all about using your characters correctly. Who keeps their fighters at the back and sends their mages to melee?

And about his kit... A blade is the best fighter, which is a bonus because bards really aren't that good in close combat, even in a supporting role. A few proficiencies can make all the difference. Bard song? Why, as an extra pair of spellcasting/fighting arms surely is better than some small bonuses to all your characters? Cast some stat-enhancing spell at you get the same affect. Lore is pretty useless, there always tends to be another character with high lore and 100 gp for identifying really isn't much, is it? (Or you could buy the glasses of identification.) I rarely use pick pockets so I'll not comment on that.

Anyway, rant over. Don't go bashing characters simply because *you* don't like them, I really dislike monks (rp reason, not game), but I don't call them crap either, simply because some people use (and like) them. Now go play BG2 through again.

3. sleeps_to_dream Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Bardsong: useless. If there's one thing I won't stand, it's a character who just sits around giving my other players weak bonuses. I want a guy who does something, thank you very much, and Haer'Dalis is great at that.

Lore: Uum...Glasses of ID, anyone?

Weaker spells: Haer'Dalis, in my game, learns Breach, Protection from Evil, 3' Radius, and all those nice defensive spells that come in so handy all the time, so Edwin and Imoen can focus exclusively on offense.

Weak in combat: the offensive spin is very useful, but try the defensive spin. Remember those golems in Suldanessler? Well, think of all of them going ata level 21 Haer'Dalis with a defensive spin and Bladesinger's Mail? Think of them missing him on a constant basis as he twirls around. Think of Edwin casting his one defensive spell: Lower Resistance, and Imoen following. Think of Chain Lightning. Again. Again. Now my fighters come in and Haer'Dalis goes on offense.

P.S. my party was

Me (A female Inquisitor)
    Anomen
    Mazzy (I'm a huge fan)
    Haer' Dalis
    Yoshimo/Imoen
    Edwin

4. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

you can solve hae'dalis' armor class by doing the planor prison quest which gives him melodic armor, which allows him to cast spells,, while wearing armor, and the time you give him extra armor bonus' he armor class is -5, not bad at all.

5. sorvo Guest

How about the problem your going to have with him if your romancing Aerie:(

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Then you'll have to choose...
    Are you so deeply in love with her that you will whack your friends had off? :love:
    Or do you see Aerie as a lttle devil who's corrupting your party and sows discord :evil: and you'll be forced to leave her, eventhough you love her..sniff sniff...that would be so noble!

7. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

If you've ever played a blade as a main char, you'd know. Just because you can't (or don't care to) utilize a char to his/her full potential doesn't mean they're weak.

If you ask me, blades are way overpowered.

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

when your mage runs out of spells or gets silenced, what does he/she do? bugger all really

haerdalis can defend himself more than adequately when hes dry on spells, and when hes silenced, can still use those spins of his

9. Lord Sarevok Guest

Well, I'm sure I could pull it off at a lower level, but I like to do all of the "outdoor" quests before the ones in Athkatla. Also most of you play with big parties, I only have 2-4 max characters in my party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.