1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's wrong with this word?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Apeman, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sure there are but I don't think that anyone would get the point if I said darn or gosh or geepers when in fact I am really mad. It's all about expressing your emotions here and unfortunatly cursewords are a relieving way of doing that sometimes (and don't say that's what smilies are for).

That's why I posted it in Whatnots, Now I wouldn't call 80% of whatnots serious correspondance. Anyway, before this gets out of hand for some 4 letter word, it must be because I'm dutch and we generally don't(don't know how to describe it in english but here goes) make a big deal out of such thing. Either that or we are just more rude ;) .

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can't swear more freely in Whatnots any more than you can in any other forum here. (And serious correspondence means letters, essays and so on, meaning offline writing. It has nothing to do with Whatnots.) And if you read the forum descriptions like you should have done a long time ago, you'll see why this topic was moved to SS.

And you don't need to use those silly granny curses either. Crap, damn etc. aren't censored. And neither are the multitude of angry smilies which you SHOULD use. That's what they're there for.

3. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Alright Tal I have a multitude of remarks still on this topic but I can see it will get me nowhere so it's of no use continuing.

But my topic was as much Whatnots as it was SS, it was one general question on the word sh*t and one question why it is censored here.

Oh and I actually did read the rules the first day I got here and have post by them for about 475 posts now.

To close of here I will express how I feel right now (in smilies of course):

:mad: :mad: :flaming: :mad: :mad:

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Actually, on the topic of saying S*** to my mother... I am the kind of person who uses VERY vulgar language when angered. Trust me, you woiuldn't want anyone impressionable near me. I am the kind of a person who will tell their mother to go **** herself... Horrid? Yes. Do I find myself annoying? Yes. Do I reign myself in company? Ues. Do I make a sailor blush when I blow a whistle? Yes.

When using the internet, I do my best to be polite and nice to other people. And not to sound like a gutter rat :rolleyes:

(/soapbox)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I prefer blurgh to blargh.

Theres alsways bugger, or you could just let it censor it, people will get the drift

6. Shura Gems: 25/31

[​IMG] :yot:

No one...no one can compare.

I reign supreme in cursing and swearing.

:evil: :evil:

*laughs insanely*

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Apeman, you think you know better into which forum a certain post belongs than I do? If that was true I'd make you a moderator on the spot. The only problem is, you don't. And I said go read the forum DESCRIPTIONS, that is the TEXT below each forum listed at http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi - the text which explains to you what sort of posts go into a certain forum. The same text is also in the sticky on top of the topic listing in every forum. You know, the one that says "Read This Before Posting!".

After you finally do that you might (I hope) realize that sheer mention of what is being censored on BoM automatically puts your post into SS.

8. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If there was no censorship, people would always moan about people swearing. It's just easier to censor. Some don't like it, some do.

I personally don't find curse words offensive. But that's just me.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Have I said that? I just 'thought' because of the two different questions on the same topic I'd post it in Whatnots. In FACT I never even mentioned WHY it's censored in SP, I just mentioned THAT it did. My question after that was the word sh*t in general

It's funny that the word 'Exclusively' is mentioned in the discription. My post wasn't 'exclusively' on a question concerning SP or BOM, it was a (mentioning not questioning) part of it.

Don't get me wrong here Tal, this has nothing to do about dissing SP or you, I was just curious and when I think I'm right I will do a lot to prove it.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    That fine, but it won't get you anywhere in this instance. The first sentence in your post clearly defines it as SS material. Sorry. If you go read the forum description of Whatnots as well, you'll see that there's nothing in that description that would place your post there, considering Whatnots is a forum where everything we don't have a specific forum for gets put. We have one for this - right here.

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

True enough.

Apeman holds out his hand waiting for Taluntain to shake it.

12. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I curse all the time. Too much for a 13 year old, I can say.

But I respect Tal's censoring of the word s**t. It's actually his forum and we can use other bloody words.

Bloody for example.

13. Taluntain

Media:
  14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Who says 'damn' is vulgar? It's used as a curse, right, but the meaning is simply 'curse it' while for example 'damned thing' is simply 'accursed thing' and 'damned person' is 'condemned person' like 'damned to hell'. In fact it's derived from a Latin word widely used in legal language. 'Darn' isn't actually of lesser weight -it's a slang word. Still, the meaning is more or less the same. Words like 'bloody' depend on the meaning the speaker and listener assign to them basing on the context, so for example Queen Mary 'Bloody Mary' Tudor (r. 1553-1558) isn't really f-worded Mary but just bloody Mary like bloodthirsty Mary.

But words such as 'sh*t' don't depend on the context and apart from slang speakers or just about anyone on ekhm... fairly informal occasions ;) are considered inappropriate. There are some exceptions, but well... it's generally best to avoid them in cultural conversations.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Cursing is a fascinating topic, no question. I wil admit, I do it a lot more often than I should (given my religious convictions, I should be at zero, but I admit this is one of my failings). The S word under discussion is always used in a vulgar sense, at least here in Canada.I guess that it's a matter of common consensus as to what is or isn't vulgar -- I once had a Brit call me down for using "Bloody", as according to him it's a swear. Well, not in Canada, but I humored him in the interests of peace and quiet.

The thing about swearing is that it is a substitute for actual thought. Think about it -- when you don't have anything else to say, either because you are beaten or just too angry to think, your response is F*** you, or something similar. I prefer witty responses, like Churchill's "madame, I'm drunk, and you're ugly. In the morning, I'll be sober, but you'll still be ugly!" :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.