1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your opinion of Americans?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Sarevok, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sounds to me like you have a serious issue with all fat/obese people. I don't think it's got anything to do with Americans specifically. You're clearly disguested by all overweight people, no matter where they're from. It's true that USA has a very high percentage of such population, but I see no real reason for you posting about it here. Maybe someone should open a topic where everyone can state what "type" of people they don't like... I hear some people have trouble with people who have small heads, even though they are perfectly normal in every other way.

What I'm trying to say here that you have a personal issue/problem/whatever you want to call it, that's got nothing to do with Americans only, so it doesn't really belong in this topic.

2. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This is from my experience.

You cannot judge America by our television nor by our politicians if you do, then you are only going on a very minute source of information that changes like day and night.

How can you judge a place, if you have never been there? It kills me to here people exclaiming that they hate America because of all these reasons that the list off (which mostly come from politicians or the "media"), but those people have never set foot in America. They don't really know what it is like here.

Something else I would like to mention, is that I have talked to several people who were not born American while I was in the military, and while I was in college. The majority of the people I talked to while I was in college (which I still am) said that while they moved here for the education, they decided to stay because they have more personal freedom here and because they have never enjoyed life more. While others said, I just want to get an education and take my knowledge back to my own country the education system here is much better than where I am from, but I like America and hope to come again in the future. But, the marjoity I knew stayed.

During the military, many had come over here, and now fight for our country and their freedom and now consider themselves American, even though they were not born here.

Also, I have been to places like Saudi Arabia, England, Germany, Mexico, and Canada. I never felt that I was disliked or looked down upon. I like to look into the ways that other people from other places think and live. I may agree or disagree with their beliefs, or their actions. But, I would never say that I hated them for it. Espeacially not if it was something that happened in the past.

Diversity is good. I would not like if all the other countries in this world decided to be like America. How boring would that be. And I do agree, that sometimes, we need to stop and deal with what is happening in our own country, before we go getting into other country's business. But, I would also like to say that we don't always have a choice. America tries to stay true to their alies, and a lot of times, it is our alies that ask for help and we feel it is our duty to so.

And the last thing I want to say. Is no matter where your from, or what the reason is, mass death is never good, from any point of view and should not be rejoiced! And that if you have never been to America, don't judge it, cause you really don't know what it is like!

A Quote: do not judge a man by his beliefs or his culture, only by his actions and his deed's, for that is the only true way to understand him and be able to form an honest opinion.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well said. I work in software. Many of my co-workers (and friends) are not originally from America. They are from Ireland (my boss), Germany (a good friend), Russia, Ukraine, India, China (a good friend), Korea, Vietnam, Spain, France, England, Scotland, and other places I am sure that I am forgetting.

They aren't going back. They consider themselves American. So when you say that you hate Americans, you are saying that you hate people from around the world.

I also find it interesting that the topic that I opened asking "Have you ever been to America" has fallen off the board with most of the replies coming from Americans. This topic is on 3 pages now.

That said, this is my last post on this topic. Based on this topic and the one I opened, I have come to the conclusion that some people are going to find fault with a place they've never been and people that they do not know. That is their choice. They don't want to be educated. Because that might mean that they are wrong.

4. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

5. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

George W said the word "paki" on national television.... the denver nuggets coach said to a few mexican heckling fans "why dont you go buy more beer you mexican" and he got alot of heat ended up resigning. I guess americans expect more from their basketball coaches than presidents.

to quote the song, "i'm afraid of americans!"

[This message has been edited by strange_machine (edited January 26, 2002).]

6. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I like Americans. Especially with beans, I couldn't eat a whole one though.

But sierously, I do like americans. They are good people, Doing well dispite all the bad things that happened to them, but they are steriotyped badly over here in england (hyperactive coffee-swillers who talk incredibly fast).
    I can only hope things get better over there, And just want to say a big hello to them all! :D

7. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I believe Satiana fearbringer's post hits the proverbial nail on the head.

What do I think of Americans? I've been asked that a number of times. Both by American tourists and by Americans whom I have met in the States.

My answer "Depends on the American." :)

Labeling a group is a very dangerous and futile thing. It also sets up a bias that prevents us from seeing what I feel is more important, the individual concerned. I will not love every American for what Michael Jordan has done for the the world, only MIchael Jordan because he has earned it. I will not express disgust at every Arab for what Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda has done, for only Bin Laden and his terrorists have earned it.

I have met Americans who are difficult to deal with (for a number of reasons) and Americans who are truly amazing and wonderful people.

Besides, what does the word "American" mean anyway? Its a country, a continent, a culture, a race, a nation, an attitude, music... one has to be very specific in discussing the particular concept the word "American", AND have everyone else agree to it, at least for the sake of conversation.

The word is so big, its futile. You have Americans (and I mean people from the United States, because one can argue that everyone who lives in North, Central and South America are Americans) who have different cultures, beliefs, races and even (my favorite US diversity) accents. :)

Put it this way. Would you rather be seen as American, or as Shralp? Would you rather be referred to as Croatian or as Extremist? Would you prefer to be a generic Australian or be known as Mirkwood?

I don't mean to belitte anyone's nationality. I also agree that such an affiliation is a source of pride, especially during world events such as the Olympics, or the World Cup. But wouldn't you rather be acknowledged for wonderful things you yourself have done? Wonderful things ranging from being helpful on the boards, funny in the Chatroom, or being a good friend in real life?

I'll mention something closer to our hearts. When I get stumped and post my questions on the board, I don't seek answers from "that Canadian" or thank "that American" for his or her answers. I thank Extremist, I thank Lokken, I thank Taluntain, I thank Kitiara. I don't love "that Singaporean's" story. I love Shura's story, The Legend of Shura. I don't think "that Greek poet has talent. I think that Tiamat's poems are lovely and that she's a very talented poet. :)

I surely don't want you folks referring to me as "that Asian" or "that Filipino" or "that Catholic". That would hurt. My name on the boards is eveningdrive, and I put a part of myself into that name. :)

As for who invented what and came from this country...

I'm thankful they all made the world a better place. From Tolkien, to Edison, to John Logie Baird, I'm sure that their countrymen are all very proud of them. But I have a feeling they didn't do what they did for their countries alone. I'd rather believe that they just wanted to contribute to humanity, or simply make our world a more beautiful and livable place. And if their reasons were as simple as making money, well, that's an attribute that can be plasterd to any man, American or not.

I know a number of you will disagree with me. That's fine. There will always be an amount of labeling or calssifying, and yes they are essential. Where else will we get terms like "demographics", or "society", "culture" and "target market".

But some of the posts above touched concepts which I personally feel might be seen in a slightly better way when viewed from a different perspective.

Disagree? Alright. I've always believed that when two people are the same, one of them is unessential. :borg: Even twins are their own persons.

And that is exactly my point. :grin:

What do I think of Americans?

Depends. Who are we talking about?

8. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My school has a small group of Monty Pithon fans. They wear the shirts and know the movies by heart. If I'm not mistaken it comes from England. I've seen a movie myself and once you see how it's funny you just cant stop laughing!:lol: What I'm tring to say is that America is a little of every thing from every where.

9. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] There are a lot of Monty Python fans in Hungary too (Actually i'm one of them). And yes, Hungary is little bit from everything! :lol:

10. Arwen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, before this thread gets locked…
    I was born and grew up in Russia, and like most Russians, used to share this stereotype - "Americans are fat morons, constantly stuffed with popcorn and burgers, watching stupid shows and weird games". Then I married an American and moved to the US - and guess what? Big surprise for me. Most people I met here and became friends with are actually bright, kind and funny (and only two of them are overweight). Also, a shocking fact - Americans are nice for no apparent reason - they just are. For example, today I was riding a bike with my husband; we stopped and he was taking pictures of me - and this kid pulls over and asks if we want him to take a picture of us together. It's a small thing - but for me it was strange and moving, because in Russia people just don't do things like that. I'm not saying everyone is the US is nice, there might be (and i guess there are) plain jerks out there - but as it was said here before, each person is unique and you can't put a tag on a population of a country, especially a country that big.

So I owe Americans an apology for being arrogant and narrow-minded, judging from a distance without knowing a thing about the people in this country.

I also want to quote my hubby here: "Our leaders suck, but average Americans are pretty nice, as a rule"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.