1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's your style: role player or powergamer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by the assassin, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

No it really isn't, as anyone who's ever been to the underdark should know. You can get below -10 quite easily with the drow equipment. With supermagical equipment from the surface all put to power up the same character, getting near -20 with any class is pretty much possible.

2. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

@the assassin :

No, my last few games were 'hack free' :) . Just killed Amelissan this evening. Most of the battle (including the 'side' fights with elementals and fallen solar) was done with my main char, with a little spell support from behind. The poor girl did not had a chance.
    Well, time to start a new - probably the last game :grin: - this one took about 3 months to finish. Just wondering what class to take for the protagonist. :hmm: Considering the things discussed here I will probably try something really weird, as roleplaying a dwarven bard or something like could be interesting :D

3. Kenixkil Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'm a powergamer.. sometimes. I sometimes the hack a character to make him a multi kensai/thief or fighter/wild mage(just for fun)

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Both. On creation I make the pally like me, heheh. Which is LG paladin, sort of slightly above 10 con& dex, big stregth & mental ones excessively big. Just like me. But then in play I get considerably more powerful. In whole saga you can get +2 to all and even +4 to some stats. I ended up like this:

str 19 (should be 20, couldn't find the recipe at WK)
    dex 14
    con 12
    int 14 (the only one lower than my own, actually ;) )
    wis 22
    cha 20

all w/o powerups counted.

Note: some people prefer just beginning from BG2 with all stats 18

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I try to roleplay.
    My 1st run through the game was a Paladin which forces you to be a goody-goody. :lol:

My party in BG1 reflected that character type.
    4 fighters (PC,Minsc,Jareira,Khalid)
    Inoem and Dynaheir- Very limited magic.
    My Paladin had no magic (exp cap) and Minsc got one level 1 spell at level 8.

I really had to rely on muscle.
    Invoker might be the worst magic class.
    No summon spells! :(

6. Jorgon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] (In a deep chaotic neutral voice) Both. I explore every area to the last, I do everything, I own in general. But, I also play within the context of my character. That is, if it's chaotic neutral, well, I do stuff crazily. So there, nyeh. :p

p.s. bg2 is awesome

7. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, not that a girl's opinion matters much to a bunch of guys, but I think that all of us do a healty mix of both RPing and PGing. I mean, come on. There is only so much dialogue in BG2, and most of it is done by the NPCs. Sure, your little one sentence answer will influence the NPCs decision, but it's still written, you know. It's all code, which kicks in whenever a certain condition has been met. BG2, which I love, unfortunately doesn't have half the capacity as a living, breathing human when it comes to actually RPing. I enjoy it very very much, but only so much can be done.
    So, in conclusion, I know that I'm both a RPer and a PGer, and BG2 satisfies the need to do both. Come on, guys, not one of you can say that a smile doesn't come over your face when you chunk some monster, or when Sarevok's Deathbringer Assault totally evaporates some foe. *chuckles sinisterly* :evil:

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hehe, power-playing after creation is in perfect harmony with roleplaying. AFTER I say.

I do roleplay as I stated previously. And I do enjoy power... That of a paladin of course ;D. In life too, I believe. I do enjoy and embrace the advantages of being a good deal smarter, wiser and charismatic than the overweighing majority of people. The same in roleplay... At least in my case. Being a good swordsman I enjoy in both ;D

But still I enjoy dialogues and choices to make (not Tomb Raider style thingies!) more than degoblinising Faerun and perforating daemons. Combine BG2 potential with Planescape dialogue-RPG style and you would rather drag my dead body than me from before the screen :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.