1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #2

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

okay, since everybody keeps talking about it, I went and blew most of this weeks beer money on the 3 books of "Song of Ice and Fire", hope it's worth it :p

2. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Letters..." only took me a day so now I'm onto Michael Connelly's "Chasing The Dime"

3. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    "The Jackal of Nar" - John Marco

Now THIS is more like it. I shall use this book to purge the memory of Wayfarer from my mind ;)

4. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Just finished a translation of Eragon, it's not very good (mainly because it's a teen story), but is still worth my time (plus it's dust cheap here).

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Three of Swords yesterday, it was quite disappointing. While Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are decent enough characters the stories they were involved in were quite dull. To make matters even worse, whenever the were going to do something that might have been interesting it was invariably skipped over. What is the point of setting the scene for an interesting adventure and then just saying that they went and did it and picking up the narration again after they have returned? It is almost as if the author realized he wasn't good enough to tell the story and accordingly decided to skip it. :rolleyes:

This morning I started Everybody Comes to the Nightside by Simon Green, so far it has been pretty good but I have only read about 40 pages so far.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was also quite disapointed in Fafrd and the Grey Mouser, I bought a compilation of stories with them released in the Fantasy Masterwork series and I have tried to read it several times with no success.

Now I am reading Alexander: Child of Dream by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. I have just started it but it looks quite good.

I have also finished Perdito Street Station by China Mieville and I recommend it quite warmly.

7. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    "This Day All Gods Die" - Stephen Donaldson

Last book of the Gap series, and my lord, it's intense. This series ranks right up there with "Hyperion".

8. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Gap is recommended? I have pondered it for quite some time but never got around to it. I think it will be part of my next purchase.

9. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

im aobut 1/4th through A Game of Thrones. it's friggin awesome.

10. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow, just finished the Farseer trilogy, and it's the best trilogy I've read, now I'm wondering if I should read the Liveship trilogy before the Tawny man.
    But for now I am starting with Pratchett's Hogfather, just the right book for this time of the year.

11. joacqin

Media:
    Yes, yes you should. The Liveship trilogy is in my opinion just as good as the Farseer trilogy but way tougher to read, much more difficult. The three trilogies are connected as well so even though you could read the Tawny Man trilogy after Farseer you would not have the entire story. Some characters appear in more than one setting and there is an overarching storyline which consists of the three trilogies together.

12. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I am reading Feist's "Magician" again, while I wait for Santa to bring me a nice book for Christmas.

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Elmore Leonard's "Riding The Rap"

14. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Fyi, the first book in the series is both the worst book in the series and the most, ah, disturbing book in the series. Don't be too put off by it ;)

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I just finished Everybody Comes to the Nightside - I found it quite enjoyable - I am certainly going to look into reading some more books by Simon Green.

It looks like I will be starting Swords' Masters on the train ride home. I can't say that I am really looking forward to it - given that I wasn't impressed by the first three books in the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series and I doubt the next three will be any better.

16. joacqin

Media:
    Reading Gregory Keyes Briar King right now, Hobb recommended it so I thought I would give it a chance even though I have read some negative things about it elsewhere.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Ugh I was right about Swords' Masters - so far book four is every bit as bad as books 1-3.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

a clash of kings by george rr martin, just finished a game of thrones, frickin amazing.

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Pratchett's "Monstrous Regiment". TBH though, i haven't actually started it just yet but will as soon as I get home.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

About to start Martin's Storm of Swords. Can't believe that the 4th installment isn't out yet :mad: . I enjoyed Clash of Kings, but Game of Thrones was better imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.