1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

"Mortalis" by R.A Salvatore. Apparently his very best work, by word of both the author and several others, so i guess it's gonna be great then! Really liked the rest of the Demon Wars, so if this is gonna be better, i can't wait :)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished The Shadow of Saganami - it was a bit slow in places during the middle but I liked it. Some things tied themselves up a little too neatly but unlike some complainers I liked the fact that one major plot was never completely resolved.

Also, once the missiles start flying there is no one that I know of who is as good as David Weber at writing interesting space battles and this book is no exception.

Edit: I have started on "make love!*
    * the bruce campbell way"

It is by Bruce Campbell obviously. Campbell was in Toronto for a signing while I was out of town and my brother went above and beyond the call of duty and waited in line for over three hours to get me an autographed copy.

It is a fictional account of Bruce's attempt to succeed in an A list film role. So far it has been quite amusing although it is not quite at the same level as his autobiography If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor (which is surprisingly excellent).

[ August 10, 2005, 13:59: Message edited by: JSBB ]

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    The Briar King - Greg Keyes. This is the first book in the Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone series. The second book - The Charnel Prince - just appeared this month. So far, The Briar King has an "Arthurain" feel to it; steeped in courtly knights, independent, head-strong princesses and high romance, with a Camelot-like kingdom entering its first stages of decline. Its setting is way more medieval than fantasy. But it has a strong mythological, well-developed world, which saves it from becoming too cliched - at least so far...

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just started the Baroque cycle by Neal Stephenson and have no idea what to expect. When I see three immense volumes by the same author in the library's fantasy section I just take em, no question asked. How I discovered Erikson amongst other things. Anyone read this?

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Well, I finished reading "making love! the bruce campbell way". Unfortunately it got worse as it went along instead of better.

What started as a somewhat plausible but obviously exaggerated exercise in poking fun at Hollywood ended up going completely off track not to mention the pointless and completely implausible action scenes that Campbell started throwing in.

It is a shame but I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone but a die hard Campbell fan.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Haven't read those - but Neal Stephenson rocks - Find The Diamond Age if you get the chance.

(And if anyone remembers my bitching about this book from long ago, completely disregard it :p )

7. Newfie Banned

Assassin by Ted Bell. Some great elements but this guy is no Michael Connelly. The British slang is very annoying.

8. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

A book called Spartan by an italian dude I can't remember the name of (It's a long, italian style one). It's alright but I'm finding it hard to get into it.

9. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have started on Prophecy by Elizabeth Hayden - I was so bored with it that it just about put me to sleep on the train this morning. I only managed to read about 20 pages which is pretty sad given my normal reading speed.

Oh well, I think I am past the snooze inducing recap of book one so hopefully it should start getting better.

Edit: Thankfully it IS a lot better after the recap finishes - I am about another 150 pages in and it has been decent.

[ August 12, 2005, 05:15: Message edited by: JSBB ]

10. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hemingway: "The Old Man and the Sea"

11. Newfie Banned

"Blood on the Moon" by James Ellroy. Gritty street cop chases down serial killer. Good stuff.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

crusader, guy you're thinking of is valerio massimo manfredi i think. i read that too, pretty good imo.

as for me, I've just started on ship of destiny by hobb. good stuff. i'm really PISSED at my bookstore though. i bought fool's errand and fool's fate (parts 1 and 3) from them on the assurance that golden fool (part 2) would be coming soon. now they tell me they have none??? wtF? wth am i supposed to do now :mad:

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Just started a reread of The Eternal Enemy by Christopher Pike. Despite their dodginess, I really like his books, and every so often feel the urge to read one.
    Need to find myself a copy of The Star Group though...

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

That's the one Enagonios.

I've since ditched the book though, for Bernard Cornwell's Rebel, which I am enjoying immensely.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hey, christopher pike kicks ass. i used to love his spooksville series ;) :D also his last vampire #6 was really good imo :)

16. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Yeah, Spooksville does rock :) I have vague intentions of starting an RP in a similar genre to that one day :)

Just started reading Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. Interesting writing style - very poetic.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

excellent, that may just be my first RP then :p I'll be Adam :D

just a question, do you know of any complete spookesville listing? all i remember is they were on a number 16 iirc, the time travel thing, then suddenly, it's #25, the witch's gift and last book in the series??

18. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Over the week-end I finished Prophecy - It was decent although the ending just didn't work for me.

MAJOR SPOILER - How on earth can you have an interesting battle against an evil taproot? Hayden was building up the taproot plot but never in a million years did I think that the big show down was going to be a battle against it. She had a perfectly interesting villain's sidekick that would have made for a great final showdown and she writes him off in a couple of pages and ends the book with a battle against an evil taproot? My God, that had to be the most anti-climactic ending I have read in ages. :rolleyes:

I have started on Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey. This rant has some spoilers but unless you are an idiot there is nothing that you wouldn't pick up in reading the first 50 pages.

So far we have a murder mystery where you would have to be an idiot not to figure out who did it as she basically has done everything but tell us the culprits' names. The motive, which I have to assume is supposed to be the big plot twist, has already been given away by the blurb on the back cover of the novel. Then, I get hit with the incredibly stupid twist of one of the main character/good-guy/cop being good friends with the murderer. The two main characters seem interesting enough, it is just a pity that the story they are in is so lame. I can only hope that it gets better but I must admit that I am surprised, Mercedes Lackey is normally much better than this.

19. Newfie Banned

Michael Connelly"s "The Poet". His usual yarn.

20. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Reading both Silverfall by Ed Greenwood and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad by Troy Denning, both great books if your interested in FR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.