1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just finished Mortalis by Salvatore. My high hopes about it were quite shattered really... I've read several places that this was his best work, but i hardly agree... I read about halfway through it before it finally became remotely interesting, though in the end it was quite enjoyable i think.

So now i've started the next book in the demonwar series, Ascendace. Hopefully this is going to get better. Even though Joacqin so nicely put it in another topic:
    Thus i also read out of curiousity. Gotta see this :shake:

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I finished Burning Water and the plot didn't get much better as it went along. There was a surprising lack of focus on the villains given that we were intended to know who they were right from the beginning. The main characters remained interesting but everything else was a mess. Quite a shame really.

I have started on We Few by David Weber and John Ringo. Unfortunately,it looks like it will be no where near as good as the earlier books in the series.

To tell you the truth, I think it would have been better if the series had ended at the end of the previous book - they could have easily tidied up and ended the series and left out the plot point that set-up We Few.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

i prefer prince of lies to crucible as the definitive "cyric" novel :)

just finished Annihilation by Athans and is still continuing to be the best FR series ever, bar none.

going to finally finish off the liveship trilogy with ship of destiny

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Just finished the Eye of the World, nice read, the end felt a little lame though :heh:

Now starting on The Da Vinci Code, don't know why I am gonna read it anyway because every tv-show that mentioned the book spoiled the plot...

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

:nolike: We Few is getting just plain painful to read. I am really wondering if David Weber actually wrote any of this book. So far it is no where near the level of Weber's writing - heck it isn't even up to Ringo's usual level of quality although several of Ringo's irritating writing habits are extremely evident.

Where on Earth was the editor - did he/she think that since this is the fourth book in a series that has sold reasonably well that his/her service were no longer needed?

God am I getting sick and tired of Ringo dreaming up excuses to have female characters with watermelon sized breasts complaining about back pain. I think that this is at least the third seperate book and character that he has used this with. Oh, and the follow up discussion about why men like large breasts is bad about enough to make you either want to vomit or :bang: .

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Re-re-re-reading my 'Cat Who' series, my Amanda Quick series, hubby's Terry Pratchett and any misc books floating around. He's got a doctor's appointment tomorrow, maybe I can bum a ride to the library for some fresh pages.

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished We Few. The second half was much, much better than the first half - I would almost suggest that Ringo wrote the first half and Weber the second half but I somewhat doubt it.

Still, the second half wasn't up to the standards of the first three books in the series. Annoyingly they left things open for them to continue the series. Some authors just don't know when to end a series.

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I just started Raymond Feist's Talon of the Sliver Hawk - Conclave of Shadows - Book I.

9. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I read Lord of Snow & Shadows by Sarah Ash (book I of The Tears of Artamon) last week. It was ok, so I bought Prisoner of the Ironsea Tower, the second book in the series today.

10. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have started on Salvatore's Sea of Swords - pretty standard Salvatore stuff so far.

Edit: I just finished Sea of Swords - it turns out that I have read it before but it was so unmemorable that I didn't realize it until I was about 100 pages in. Oh well, at least it was relatively short so I didn't waste too much time on it.

Edit2: I have started on Homeland (by Salvatore again). So far it has been okay but not particularly noteworthy. Of course that is pretty much to be expected if Salvatore wrote it.

[ August 18, 2005, 14:46: Message edited by: JSBB ]

11. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I never thought I'd buy it...or read it...but I am currently at chapter 20 of 'The Da Vinci Code'. So far it's pretty good. :thumb: :rolling:

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Homeland - I would say that it was that it is one of Salvatore's better novels.

I am continuing on with the series so Exile is next up.

13. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Definately one of Salvatore's better novels - though the writing style is crappy. I reread it recently-ish, intending to reread the rest of the Dark Elf Trilogy, but decided that there was a fine place to give up :)

Am still going through Winter's Tale - it's brilliant, but makes for very slow reading. After reading it for a bit my eyes tend to go all blury and I start reading entire paragraphs without absorbing any of it, then have to go back and reread the paragraph.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

dark elf trilogy was EASILY salvatore's best work imo. not counting the lone drow though. nealry done with sihp of destiny by hobb. moving in to tawny man next.

15. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Douglas Coupland - Generation X

16. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just finished _A Storm of Swords_ by G.R.R. Martin. I highly suggest you go to his website and take a look at the man. Was not what I expected, although my girlfriend nailed him spot on.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished ship of destiny. bit disappointed in how kennit was handled in the conclusion but still, a very good trilogy. starting fool's errand.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Almost finished Ship of Destiny. Loving this trilogy so far.

19. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG]
    That's because you still have 10 more books to read, my friend...The plot thickens, yet it has no ending in sight!!!!

20. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I have finished Exile and started on Sojourn. I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised at this series - it is quite a bit better than Salvatore's usual stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.