1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which book are you reading currently? #3

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Blackthorne TA, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Alright, been away for a month, sitting my azz down by a pool in Portugal so I've quite the list.

"Deadhouse Gates" by erickson, tale of the malazan

Good but a lot of new characters and an entirely different contintent. The chain of dogs were brillaint though.

"Memories of Ice" by erickson, tale of the malazan

Great, easily the best.

"House of Chains" by erickson, tale of the malazan

Good, especially the chronicles of Karsa and of course fiddler and Kalam.

"CSI: binding ties"

Enjoyable because I love the show

"Pop goes the weasel" James patterson

Very enjoyable read this one within one day.

Finally reading "Midnight tides" also by erickson.

@JSBB

Yeah the dark elf trilogy is easily the best simply because a character is formed which is not Salvatores biggest asset.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Just finished the Da Vinci Code, standard detective story with conspiracious religionistical paganist arguments to tell us that women are equal to men, fah!!
    It involved a sex scene, but with two old people... Just one of days that I am not happy with my ability to visualise the story while reading it :(

Now starting with the Dune book.

Did Jordan start the series with an idea of how it should end? Or will he push the series on and on until he dies and his son will be forced to write the last chapter where everyone will die horrible deaths and fans will rejoice.

[ August 24, 2005, 00:50: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Finally finished "Siege of Darkness". It took me a while to finish it. Not that is bad though, it is better than Starless Night I guess.
    Anyway, although I really liked the intrigue tidbits, I thought the battle descriptions boring and uninspiring.
    I will start either one of Pretchetts books or the Potop - The Deluge - trilogy. Whichever I buy first.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

just started golden fool by hobb.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Sojourn - it was decent although I didn't think much of the Icewind Dale meetings chunk that was stuck on the end.

I am about to start on Bedlam's Bard by Mercedes Lackey and Ellen Guon. I don't have a clue as to what it is about and I have not heard any reviews/opinions about it so I am really going in blind on this one.

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Yes. But it was vastly more succesful than anyone expected, so he extended it. It's now, I dunno, maybe three or four times the length it was intended to be. And it's not done yet.

Jordan, IMNSHO, doesn't seem up to the task of juggling all the plot threads he's set into motion. Hence the moving-through-molases speed of the past few books.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Finished Winter's Tale and am now starting on Snow Crash by Neal Stephanson.

8. Newfie Banned

Thanks to everyone's recommendations on this board, I picked up Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice". Off to an interesting start.

9. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just read "Heaven" by V.C Andrews because I was away from home and had nothing better to read. I forgot how depressing her books can be.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

"The Reluctant Suitor" by Kathleen Woodiwiss. Tried getting into "Evermeet: Island of the Elves" by Elaine Cunningham, but just couldn't get beyond chapter one.

11. JSBB Gems: 31/31

I finished Bedlam's Bard - it was very good, I am definitely going to be looking for the rest of the series.

I have started on Deathstalker Rebellion by Simon Green. It is about the same as the first Deathstalker book which pretty much slots it in as being quite disappointing compared to Green's Nightside or Hawk and Fisher books.

In all three series, Green's overuse of uber-characters makes Salvatore look quite restrained but at least Green's characters are normally well written, interesting and quirky. The ones in the Deathstalker series just seem overpowered and dull.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

starting fool's fate by hobb.

13. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I just started reading The Paradise War written by Stephen Lawhead.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hyperion by Dan Simmons, it is starting to become quite interesting. It is tittering between "pulp" sci-fi and filosofical sci-fi in a quite intriguing manner.

15. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Demons and Angels by Dan Brown - too Hollywood for my liking

16. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Jules Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" :book:

17. Sticker Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Marion Zimmer Bradley's "World Wreckers".

18. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Are her books as boring/crappy as the movie based upon her feminist version of Excalibur?

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Count Zero by William Gibson - only read two chapters so far, but I'm really liking his writing style this time. It makes things feel ... exciting ... or something.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just finished all my hobb books. going to start Richard Baker's Farthest Reach, book 2 in the Last Mythal trilogy in the FR setting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.